Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals
syntonica
KVRist

273 posts since 24 Sep, 2014, from Specific Northwest

Postby syntonica; Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:04 pm Re: Where do Mac users like their presets and preferences files?

Apple puts screenshots on the desktop. The PDF can live anywhere, including inside the plugin itself, as long as there is a button to open it from within the plugin. I like this method as the PDF doesn't get lost and the user can resave it elsewhere if desired.
Architeuthis
KVRAF

2912 posts since 27 Jan, 2006, from Phoenix, AZ

Postby Architeuthis; Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:20 am Re: Where do Mac users like their presets and preferences files?

thanks! and just for completeness I'm going to put license file in

~/Library/Application Support/Soundemote/

when my plugins actually have a way of allowing the user to locate the license file, then the plugin copies it to that directory.
Architeuthis
KVRAF

Postby Architeuthis; Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:56 am Re: Where do Mac users like their presets and preferences files?

One thing I just realized:

"~/Library/Audio/Presets/Soundemote/PrettyScope/example_user_preset.xml"

You have to go through a hidden folder Library to get to that path. What makes this path any good? Hidden folder on Mac is a PITA to deal with for a user if you ever want to get to your presets folder for something (backup, editing files, deleted, moving, what have you)
syntonica
KVRist

Postby syntonica; Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:36 am Re: Where do Mac users like their presets and preferences files?

One of many dumb moves by Apple to protect users from themselves. :roll: However, that's where the standard prefs go.

Mine is no longer hidden and I can't remember if apple relented, or if I chflag-ed it. :lol:

Alternate locations I have seen are a folder in Applications (which is a bad idea as users can be locked out of that folder) or in Documents, which is probably the best spot for data that your user needs regular access to, even if it does clutter things up unnecessarily.

Apple really needs to unhide the Library folder so that it can do the job it was designed for.
Architeuthis
KVRAF

Postby Architeuthis; Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:08 am Re: Where do Mac users like their presets and preferences files?

is it ok to do this:

"~/Library/Audio/Presets/Soundemote/PrettyScope/Presets/example_user_preset.xml"
"~/Library/Audio/Presets/Soundemote/PrettyScope/Colormaps/example_user_colormap.xml"

I have to have Presets in the path twice because there are "Presets" and there are "Colormaps" and in the future there may be other sub-types of presets for multipoint envelopes, sequences, etc.
syntonica
KVRist

Postby syntonica; Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:06 pm Re: Where do Mac users like their presets and preferences files?

Dude, what happens in "~/Library/Audio/Presets/Soundemote/" stays in "~/Library/Audio/Presets/Soundemote/". :lol:
Architeuthis
KVRAF

Postby Architeuthis; Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:17 pm Re: Where do Mac users like their presets and preferences files?

nice :tu:
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development