Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
McLilith
KVRAF

1558 posts since 7 Jul, 2003, from Huntington, WV

Postby McLilith; Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:12 am Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

After being away from things for a few years, I decided to return to the music software scene and learn to create my own VST plugins. What is currently the best choice of C++ compiler and/or IDE for creating VST plugins?

I'll be using a 64-bit, Windows 10 system for my development. I'm hoping to find a compiler and IDE that are available at no cost, but still well suited for VST development. I want to make sure my development environment is a good match for the current Steinberg VST SDK. What are my best options?

Also, should I primarily concentrate on 64-bit VST3 creation? That seems to be the latest standard.

Once upon a time, I did tech support for Camel Audio, back in its early days. I even wrote a utility program that created morphing files for their Cameleon 5000 synth. That small program is my only piece of music software so far, but that's a long way from the complexity of VST creation. So, I'm still a beginner in this area. I appreciate any tips people can give me to help me get started.

Thanks,
Glen
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com
Miles1981
KVRian

1251 posts since 26 Apr, 2004, from UK

Postby Miles1981; Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:38 am Re: Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

Visual Studio 2017 hands down. You won't be able to find anything better for free.

Then try to use a framework for plugin support like WDL-OL or JUCE, and I would also recommend using a DSP library to jump start everything (hint: use mine :p)
McLilith
KVRAF

1558 posts since 7 Jul, 2003, from Huntington, WV

Postby McLilith; Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:50 am Re: Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

Miles1981 wrote:Visual Studio 2017 hands down. You won't be able to find anything better for free.

Then try to use a framework for plugin support like WDL-OL or JUCE, and I would also recommend using a DSP library to jump start everything (hint: use mine :p)

Is "Visual Studio Community 2017" the version I should download then? That seems to be the only free option, unless I overlooked something.

I'll definitely check out those other suggestions too.

Thanks!
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth

24956 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:58 am Re: Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

Miles1981 wrote:Visual Studio 2017 hands down. You won't be able to find anything better for free.

I was rather impressed with VS Code not being a massively overblown monolith, FWIW.
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."
PurpleSunray
KVRian

591 posts since 13 Mar, 2012

Postby PurpleSunray; Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:04 am Re: Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

I use Visual Studio as an IDE and "clang with Microsoft CodeGen" as compiler (uses clang frontend with msvc code-generators on the backend).
Using it mainly because I'm sick of fixing compile issue between MSVC and gcc when switching platfroms... clang 4all has solved it.
resynthesis
KVRist

254 posts since 17 Sep, 2007, from Planet Thanet

Postby resynthesis; Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:22 am Re: Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

Is The Projucer working correctly with VS2017 now? Last I looked VS2017 support was still in the dev branch.
nonnaci
KVRist

190 posts since 7 Feb, 2017

Postby nonnaci; Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:01 am Re: Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

VST2 is still more commonly supported by DAWs than VST3.
Miles1981
KVRian

Postby Miles1981; Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:14 am Re: Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

whyterabbyt wrote:

I was rather impressed with VS Code not being a massively overblown monolith, FWIW.

VS Code doesn't support C++. And it's nothing like VS.
Miles1981
KVRian

Postby Miles1981; Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:19 am Re: Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

resynthesis wrote:Is The Projucer working correctly with VS2017 now? Last I looked VS2017 support was still in the dev branch.

yes
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth

24956 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:48 am Re: Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

Miles1981 wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:

VS Code doesn't support C++.

You might want to let Microsoft know that, they seem to be labouring under a misapprehension.

https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/languages/cpp

And it's nothing like VS.

Did someone claim it was?
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."
resynthesis
KVRist

254 posts since 17 Sep, 2007, from Planet Thanet

Postby resynthesis; Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:54 am Re: Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

Miles1981 wrote:
resynthesis wrote:Is The Projucer working correctly with VS2017 now? Last I looked VS2017 support was still in the dev branch.

yes

Ace, thanks :tu:
Miles1981
KVRian

Postby Miles1981; Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:22 am Re: Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

whyterabbyt wrote:You might want to let Microsoft know that, they seem to be labouring under a misapprehension.

https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/languages/cpp

Thanks, this is new, but it still only preview. I wouldn't trust it yet.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development