Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After being away from things for a few years, I decided to return to the music software scene and learn to create my own VST plugins. What is currently the best choice of C++ compiler and/or IDE for creating VST plugins?

I'll be using a 64-bit, Windows 10 system for my development. I'm hoping to find a compiler and IDE that are available at no cost, but still well suited for VST development. I want to make sure my development environment is a good match for the current Steinberg VST SDK. What are my best options?

Also, should I primarily concentrate on 64-bit VST3 creation? That seems to be the latest standard.

Once upon a time, I did tech support for Camel Audio, back in its early days. I even wrote a utility program that created morphing files for their Cameleon 5000 synth. That small program is my only piece of music software so far, but that's a long way from the complexity of VST creation. So, I'm still a beginner in this area. I appreciate any tips people can give me to help me get started.

Thanks,
Glen
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

Visual Studio 2017 hands down. You won't be able to find anything better for free.

Then try to use a framework for plugin support like WDL-OL or JUCE, and I would also recommend using a DSP library to jump start everything (hint: use mine :p)

Miles1981 wrote:Visual Studio 2017 hands down. You won't be able to find anything better for free.

Then try to use a framework for plugin support like WDL-OL or JUCE, and I would also recommend using a DSP library to jump start everything (hint: use mine :p)
Is "Visual Studio Community 2017" the version I should download then? That seems to be the only free option, unless I overlooked something.

I'll definitely check out those other suggestions too.

Thanks!
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

Miles1981 wrote:Visual Studio 2017 hands down. You won't be able to find anything better for free.
I was rather impressed with VS Code not being a massively overblown monolith, FWIW.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I use Visual Studio as an IDE and "clang with Microsoft CodeGen" as compiler (uses clang frontend with msvc code-generators on the backend).
Using it mainly because I'm sick of fixing compile issue between MSVC and gcc when switching platfroms... clang 4all has solved it.

Is The Projucer working correctly with VS2017 now? Last I looked VS2017 support was still in the dev branch.

VST2 is still more commonly supported by DAWs than VST3.

whyterabbyt wrote:
I was rather impressed with VS Code not being a massively overblown monolith, FWIW.
VS Code doesn't support C++. And it's nothing like VS.

resynthesis wrote:Is The Projucer working correctly with VS2017 now? Last I looked VS2017 support was still in the dev branch.
yes

Miles1981 wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
VS Code doesn't support C++.
You might want to let Microsoft know that, they seem to be labouring under a misapprehension.

https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/languages/cpp
And it's nothing like VS.
Did someone claim it was?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Miles1981 wrote:
resynthesis wrote:Is The Projucer working correctly with VS2017 now? Last I looked VS2017 support was still in the dev branch.
yes
Ace, thanks :tu:

whyterabbyt wrote:You might want to let Microsoft know that, they seem to be labouring under a misapprehension.

https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/languages/cpp
Thanks, this is new, but it still only preview. I wouldn't trust it yet.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but my code is ready to go through the Windows grinder to see what comes out the other end. Since my latest version is XP, and I am loath to spend money on a newer version because m$, are there any recommends for a Wine-based C/C++ compiler, IDE, editor, etc. that people are using successfully? I'm pretty sure I can do all my testing in Wine.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but my code is ready to go through the Windows grinder to see what comes out the other end. Since my latest version is XP, and I am loath to spend money on a newer version because m$, are there any recommends for a Wine-based C/C++ compiler, IDE, editor, etc. that people are using successfully? I'm pretty sure I can do all my testing in Wine.
A wine based c++ compiler for targeting windows and supposedly that choice is better than XP? I guess this is a joke.

Install windows 7 instead. You can evalute it for 120 days.
Just type 'slmgr -rearm' at the console (admin rights needed) at the end of every activation period, and a new one will start 4 times. Completely legal..
~stratum~

Wow. Sorry you get so ****hurt over Wine. However, strange as it may seem to you, I hate Windows. I dont like using it, I don't like installing it, I don't like supporting it, and I'm discovering that I really don't like programming for it.

Wine can pretend to be 32-bit or 64-bit and from Windows XP on up, so is more flexible than the no-longer-supported XP. I'm looking for modern tools which will refuse to run on XP.

So no, I am not looking for a "wine based c++ compiler", I'm looking for modern programming tools which can be used with Wine, preferably a full-blown IDE (what can I say? I'm optimistic.), but short of that, a compiler that I can use Make with to produce executables. Since I'm not experienced with Make (coming from Mac and Java background), I would rather get suggestions rather than trying to muddle through swampy territory with no guarantee of success.

If you have proven suggestions directly related to this topic, I'm happy to hear them.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”