Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
mcbpete
KVRian

1115 posts since 24 Jun, 2006, from London, England

Postby mcbpete; Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:07 am Re: Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

syntonica wrote:I installed VS Community, the very basic c++ install. It raped me for 10Gb hard drive space and I can't even tell if I've got the right compiler. It seems to want to "manage" me and compile to .NET4 drivel. If I wanted a VM, I'd go Java. :? Next step is to completely uninstall this crap and try a different solution that takes only 100Mb or so. :roll:
The installer is a little under 100Mb (but expands to a bit more) but maybe try the 'universal' IDE of Visual Studio Code - https://code.visualstudio.com/

That way you can use your compiler of choice (I use GCC) for whatever programming language of choice you want - all under one 'roof'. You may need to find documentation online for build instructions to get VSC to 'talk' to the relevant compiler for each project
stratum
KVRAF

1851 posts since 29 May, 2012

Postby stratum; Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:07 am Re: Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

The amount of problems that you see while installing an open source IDE is not even the tip of the iceberg. Afterwards almost everything you do becomes a creative way of dealing with poorly documented (if at all) and often buggy APIs. Have a look at this thread to see a glimpse of it http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3&t=498405
~stratum~
satYatunes
KVRAF

1905 posts since 22 Aug, 2006, from Charlotte

Postby satYatunes; Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:21 am Re: Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

Agree completely. Not to mention, some of the guides/tutorials are pretty old, some times they don't work for current version. Or it breaks because of some change introduced in later version. Some authors don't update their articles to keep it up to date hence if something breaks you are on your own to figure out and fix.
All these plugin centric editors like Brackets, Atom and VSCode are good and bad at the same time. Lots of plugins available for the same stuff, then you spend time in reading reviews and finding out which one is better even then the same plugin can be abandoned by the author which will leave you hanging.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
UI/Skins for Melda Plugins, Hive, Dune 2, Patchwork, Tracktion and many more > Commercial and free Soundsets and VST Skins
Music - Soundcloud | Album - Memoirs of World Traveler
satYatunes
KVRAF

1905 posts since 22 Aug, 2006, from Charlotte

Postby satYatunes; Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:09 am Re: Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

Anyone tried Dev-C++ or one of it's fork?

http://bloodshed.net/devcpp.html
http://orwelldevcpp.blogspot.in/

My concern is that the last version is from 2015. Not sure if it's being maintained or not.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
UI/Skins for Melda Plugins, Hive, Dune 2, Patchwork, Tracktion and many more > Commercial and free Soundsets and VST Skins
Music - Soundcloud | Album - Memoirs of World Traveler
stratum
KVRAF

1851 posts since 29 May, 2012

Postby stratum; Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:47 am Re: Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

satYatunes wrote:Anyone tried Dev-C++ or one of it's fork?

http://bloodshed.net/devcpp.html
http://orwelldevcpp.blogspot.in/

My concern is that the last version is from 2015. Not sure if it's being maintained or not.

If the last version is from 2015 you can be sure that it is not being maintained. Forum threads about it also indicate that it's full of bugs. Chances are high it's not even worth the downloading time.
~stratum~
mcbpete
KVRian

Postby mcbpete; Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:16 am Re: Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

I used that at uni back around 2003/2004 when I was learning C++. It seemed to have major memory allocation errors for even the most simple tasks - I remember for an assessment having to make something that reads a text file full of random words and get it to sort them in alphabetical order. Spent about a day trying to debug it to find out why it was adding garbage data at the end of every document and eventually gave up and saw my tutor. He grabbed my .cpp and compiled it with his IDE/Compiler .... and all was fine!)
mcbpete
KVRian

Postby mcbpete; Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:16 am Re: Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

**Double post**
dmbaer
KVRian

949 posts since 11 Nov, 2009, from Northern CA

Postby dmbaer; Mon May 28, 2018 3:29 pm Re: Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

I’m toying with the notion of doing some C++/JUCE development just for my own amusement. I have decades of experience in software development, but I last used C++ about 25 years ago to learn OO (I’m reading the Stroustrup C++11 book at the moment to catch up – man, has there been a lot of evolution with this language).

Here’s on what I’d like advice. I run Windows 7, 64-bit. I have Eclipse on my machine, have used extensively for Java development over the years, and know it reasonably well. Would I be better served to add a C++ capability for Eclipse to use for this pursuit or to install the free Microsoft Visual Studio/C++ tools and use that technology? I don’t have a preference – I suspect there’s a non-trivial learning curve with either option.

If it makes any difference, I have no intentions of creating Mac-capable software or of doing anything for commercial sale. But if I come up with anything of general usefulness, I will happily put it out there for free download. So, is there any advantage in either solution (VS vs Eclipse) when it comes to distribution? If it’s relevant, I don’t know at this point whether I’ll want to write a standalone application or a VST plug-in – this could go either way.

Thanks for any wisdom.
Xenakios
KVRian

1126 posts since 9 Sep, 2005, from Oulu, Finland

Postby Xenakios; Mon May 28, 2018 5:00 pm Re: Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

dmbaer wrote:I’m toying with the notion of doing some C++/JUCE development just for my own amusement.

If you are going with JUCE, using Visual Studio on Windows is your easiest option. You can use the Projucer application to quickly set up the Visual Studio projects to build code with the JUCE modules. It can also be done manually for other IDEs/compilers but might be quite time consuming to learn how to do. (Also I think Jules is not exactly thrilled about supporting for example MinGw on Windows, so you might bump into bugs/build errors when not using the Microsoft compiler...)
Aleksey Vaneev
KVRAF

3465 posts since 7 Sep, 2002

Postby Aleksey Vaneev; Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:21 pm Re: Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

By the way, MSYS2 available now is a very potent MinGW environment, with pacman and latest gcc-c++ 7.3 - we are using it to develop plugins. As for Compiler/IDE, you have a "old school" way: install FarManager 3 (comes with Colorer, expression calculator, NetBox plugins) and add file associations. You do not get a fancy UI editor with it, but as far as code editing is concerned, it's a pretty efficient workflow, and you can always stay multi-platform that way, no relying on some IDE features that may be poorly supported on various platforms.

For distribution, we build with IntelC++ on both Windows and Mac. But mingw allows to save on additional ICC license.
mcbpete
KVRian

Postby mcbpete; Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:54 am Re: Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

Aleksey (or others!) - As a longtime c++ coder is there a reason not to move to gcc-c++ 8.1 and instead stick with 7.3 ? I'm a real beginner and use the latest version (i.e. 8.1) but am wondering if that's a mistake and will come across potential issues due to its 'newness'...
Aleksey Vaneev
KVRAF

Postby Aleksey Vaneev; Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:39 am Re: Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

mcbpete wrote:Aleksey (or others!) - As a longtime c++ coder is there a reason not to move to gcc-c++ 8.1 and instead stick with 7.3 ? I'm a real beginner and use the latest version (i.e. 8.1) but am wondering if that's a mistake and will come across potential issues due to its 'newness'...

Well, any gcc-c++ is a mistake for commercial x86 and x64 development, produces far slower code than IntelC++. But for other uses almost any gcc-c++ version will do OK, we used gcc-c++ 3.something for years prior to MSYS2 release.
vortico
KVRist

146 posts since 19 Jul, 2008

Postby vortico; Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:53 am Re: Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

While I agree with the fact that icc is faster than clang/gcc (currently, for the average use case), if you use a certain compiler because it has the aura of being faster, you're in the wrong mindset and are likely pre-optimizing without profiling or inspecting instructions generated by the bottleneck of your code.
VCV Rack open-source virtual modular synthesizer
Aleksey Vaneev
KVRAF

Postby Aleksey Vaneev; Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:12 am Re: Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

vortico wrote:While I agree with the fact that icc is faster than clang/gcc (currently, for the average use case), if you use a certain compiler because it has the aura of being faster, you're in the wrong mindset and are likely pre-optimizing without profiling or inspecting instructions generated by the bottleneck of your code.

I do not optimize for a specific compiler, I simply write generic code. Your post suggests I need to somehow "reoptimize" my code to suit clang/gcc. Not going to do that.
0degree
KVRist

100 posts since 29 Jan, 2017

Postby 0degree; Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:25 am Re: Current Best Suggestions for C++ Compiler / IDE?

@Aleksey - interesting, I always thought plugin devs compile on default compiler for the given platform - MSVC for win and Clang for osx. Is intel compiler really that faster?
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development