Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
Logos
KVRer

3 posts since 9 Jun, 2016

Postby Logos; Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:23 am Is there a easy way to get a filter respose curve for C code?

Hi!

Is there a easy way to test your audio filters that you program in C?

One way would just be to make a 'test signal' / 'frequency sweep' / 'chirp' and plot the result from the output from the effects that you program.

But is there something easy and ready made to use for C code, preferably something that is free to use, and with minimal set up time. My development platform is Linux, so it would be nice if I can run it from there.

But what do people usually use for this? Do people write their own test benches?

You could probably make your own program for this within a few days work. But it would be nice if there was something that you just could drop your C code into and get a curve plotted, together with a distortion and phase delay plotted also if possible. And that there were some value sliders in that program, that could be automated and plotted with different values. Preferably it would optimized for testing filters for synthesizers and audio EQ's in this kind of way.

Is there anything you recommend? or how have you solved this yourself?
Miles1981
KVRian

1212 posts since 26 Apr, 2004, from UK

Postby Miles1981; Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:33 am Re: Is there a easy way to get a filter respose curve for C code?

I usually use Python for curves and that kind of things. As such, C code easy to get.
martinvicanek
KVRer

25 posts since 16 Mar, 2014

Postby martinvicanek; Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:28 am Re: Is there a easy way to get a filter respose curve for C code?

Feed the filter with a single impulse to get its time domain response. FFT the result for frequency response. Use a rectangular window.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development