Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New
etarr
KVRist

54 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Postby etarr; Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:17 pm Hack Audio: Easily learn to create plug-ins

I have been putting together resources for audio engineers who want to learn computer programming over at: http://www.hackaudio.com/

My goal is to make it accessible for anyone to learn to code and create audio effects plug-ins. I hope there is something for everyone, whether you have never programmed before or whether you have a lot of experience.

I have one specific tutorial about creating plug-ins with JUCE. It contains over 3 and a half hours of lessons demonstrating how to create a plug-in from start to finish, step-by-step.

http://www.hackaudio.com/juce-tutorial/juce-info/

I would appreciate any feedback you all have about what you think would be useful to demonstrate in the future.
nrgb
KVRer

6 posts since 23 Aug, 2016

Postby nrgb; Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:47 pm Re: Hack Audio: Easily learn to create plug-ins

Thanks Eric.

Well paced & good progression.
A quality learning resource.

Subscribed.
dusted william
KVRAF

4710 posts since 17 Dec, 2000

Postby dusted william; Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:02 am Re: Hack Audio: Easily learn to create plug-ins

bookmarked!
soundmodel
KVRian

515 posts since 28 May, 2010, from Finland

Postby soundmodel; Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:38 am Re: Hack Audio: Easily learn to create plug-ins

Wouldn't it have been easier to do this in some web environment e.g. using Javascript?

C++ and a huge library like JUCE would be considered advanced by computer science educators. If the pupil has not programmed before.

Doing DSP in Javascript in some kind of live coding environment in the web might be an easier start.

Also,

As a sound producer I'd rather use some high-level tool, if I ever want to create my own effects or chains or whatever. Coding full-fledged VSTs would be overkill for most uses and would take a lot of time from producing music (which is what a sound producer ought to be most interested in).

Tools useful for sound producers that want customizability:

-ReaperJS
-Faust
-CSound with Cabbage
-NI Reaktor

Actually, even when I'm trained in math/cs, but do sound production as a hobby, I'd much rather use high-level tools that enable me to get what I need faster than spend a lot of time programming, not producing music.
etarr
KVRist

Postby etarr; Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:46 pm Re: Hack Audio: Easily learn to create plug-ins

Thanks to all of you for the feedback.

Everything is a work in progress. I have a plan for a few more things I'm going to put up. If you are interested in anything in particular that I haven't covered, feel free to make a request.

I hear what you are saying Fluky. I think I generally agree with you. On my site, there are almost ~100 free tutorials on programming with Matlab. These videos start from the very beginning, specifically for people who have never programmed. I don't expect a newcomer to jump right into C++.

To me, Matlab is about the same level of complexity as Javascript. It is certainly easier than C++. For someone who wants to eventually create plug-ins, I believe Matlab is the best place to start. It has the added benefit that most companies in industry use it for "proof-of-concept."

For someone who isn't interested in creating full plug-ins, I agree with your suggestions about ReaperJS, Faust, etc. In fact, I teach a class on FAUST at my university. Whenever I have time in the future, I will plan to create some videos about FAUST.

Cheers!
soundmodel
KVRian

515 posts since 28 May, 2010, from Finland

Postby soundmodel; Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:52 am Re: Hack Audio: Easily learn to create plug-ins

Yeah Matlab is actually probably a very sensible choice.

I use to hate it when teaching is done with "watered down" non- real world tools. It lowers my motivation to learn compared to being able to study with "the same tools as used in the real world".
etarr
KVRist

Postby etarr; Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:16 am Re: Hack Audio: Easily learn to create plug-ins

I just finished up a sequence of videos on distortion effects including: hard clipping, soft clipping, bit reduction, and rectification. There is also a comparison video for anyone who really nerds out on distortion effects.

Based on some feedback I have been receiving, I also decided to drop the promotional price for the course on using JUCE to create a plug-in.
Oden
KVRist

214 posts since 30 Oct, 2010

Postby Oden; Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:33 am Re: Hack Audio: Easily learn to create plug-ins

I would pay for a tutorial explaining the basics behind the VST3 SDK along with the best practices. ~1500 lines of code for a simple gain knob without graphics is just too much bullshit to go through without proper documentation/educator.
PurpleSunray
KVRian

680 posts since 13 Mar, 2012

Postby PurpleSunray; Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:30 am Re: Hack Audio: Easily learn to create plug-ins

Oden wrote:I would pay for a tutorial explaining the basics behind the VST3 SDK along with the best practices. ~1500 lines of code for a simple gain knob without graphics is just too much bullshit to go through without proper documentation/educator.

Check out viewtopic.php?f=33&t=487804

I posted a 200 lines-of-code VST2 plugin there, that opens a window (using win32 api), draws a bitmap into it and if you click on it you can toggle between "pass-through" and "silence" mode.
It's a kind of super-minimal plugin, that does not have any programs, parameters, ect. pp. Just 2 inputs, 2 outpus and an editor UI (the bitmap window)
finite.impulse
KVRer

1 post since 13 Jul, 2017

Postby finite.impulse; Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:21 am Re: Hack Audio: Easily learn to create plug-ins

Hi,

Based on some feedback I have been receiving, I also decided to drop the promotional price for the course on using JUCE to create a plug-in.

I'm in.

There's so much to learn in DSP in general and the lack of videos course about this specific subject "Audio Plugins" has always been a disadvantage for me.
etarr
KVRist

Postby etarr; Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:15 pm Re: Hack Audio: Easily learn to create plug-ins

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I've had success with JUCE developing VST, AU, and AAX plug-ins. I have had some difficulties compiling VST3. Frankly, I work more on Mac and use Pro Tools, Reaper, and Logic to test plug-ins, so I haven't spent to much time trying to work with VST3.

If anyone else has had some success with it, I'd love to hear about it.
etarr
KVRist

Postby etarr; Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:05 am Re: Hack Audio: Easily learn to create plug-ins

I'm working on a brand new series of tutorials on echo effects. I've already posted videos on Feed-Forward Echo and Tempo-Sync Echo.
PaulTokyo
KVRer

7 posts since 19 Oct, 2016

Postby PaulTokyo; Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:49 pm Re: Hack Audio: Easily learn to create plug-ins

I'm planning to use JUCE in the future too, the only thing refraining me for now is the license cost. Anyway very nice resource you made here, bookmarked!
etarr
KVRist

Postby etarr; Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:12 am Re: Hack Audio: Easily learn to create plug-ins

Paul, that's great. Thanks for your feedback. JUCE is free to use unless you are at the point of selling commercial products without the "Made by JUCE" splash screen.

On a separate note, I just finished up some new posts on creating an impulse response and convolution.
Xenakios
KVRian

1006 posts since 9 Sep, 2005, from Oulu, Finland

Postby Xenakios; Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:37 am Re: Hack Audio: Easily learn to create plug-ins

etarr wrote:JUCE is free to use unless you are at the point of selling commercial products without the "Made by JUCE" splash screen.

Additionally, that license option requires you to allow network communications from the end user's computer for data gathering purposes by Roli. (The data that is sent into Google Analytics is relatively harmless, but some end users of plugins etc may still find that non-acceptable.)
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development