On JUCE's latest developments

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JUCE

So JUCE 5.1 rolled out today and I was thinking of doing a bit of talk about JUCE's latest development.

It seems that JUCE is becoming more and more "rapid-development" type of framework for audio applications and less of a very technical framework. I consider this good development, because the focus in audio applications should be the final product, rather than the development process in itself. So if one can get there faster, then it's a good thing.

However, this also makes alternatives such as WDL-OL seem a bit rudimentary in comparison. I like WDL-OL, because it's open and free, but it often requires that the developer has to write all sorts of extra stuff in order to make the final product. This extra stuff could come as pre-made, if one was using JUCE.

What do you think?

---

It seems that they've come up with a commercial FREE license though that allows one to use the product without charge up to $50k revenue. Seems reasonable.

It has its advantages and its issues. They don't always release versions that are robust, and you often need to get the develop version to fix the bug you have.
But yes, in general, it is a strong framework, with lots of tools and a good community (and now you have the option of compiling Audio ToolKit as JUCE modules as well).

since roli aquired JUCE it has gone from strength to strength, and I have to admit I finally went to the dark side properly and paid for a licence for juce yesterday :-) . I still like the simplicity of Iplug implementation. I have some ideas for WDL-OL which I'm going to experiment with.

How's their preset management system? Can the framework maintain backwards compatability between previous versions of a plugin?

If you use their parameter structure and save it, then yes. If you do custom presets, then it's up to you, like in WDL-OL.

Fluky wrote:However, this also makes alternatives such as WDL-OL seem a bit rudimentary in comparison. I like WDL-OL, because it's open and free, but it often requires that the developer has to write all sorts of extra stuff in order to make the final product.
What sort of "extra stuff" functionality are we talking about? I'd be interested in contributing back to WDL-OL regarding medium to high level features, rather than DSP stuff I know little about.

(Personally I think the first thing to do would be to refactor the library significantly so that it stands alone from your application and doesn't involve all the hacky #includes, but that's not particularly interesting work.)

wxWidgets is rudimentary when compared to Qt but people nevertheless find reasons to use it occasionally, so check your own constraints:)
~stratum~

I designed some of the new DSP module classes 8)

nonnaci wrote:How's their preset management system?
There's no one ready, although there's a ValueTree you can use to build a preset system. I built mine around XML and works good.
Can the framework maintain backwards compatability between previous versions of a plugin?
Since v4.1, breaking changes between new framework releases has become common to the point they are starting adding that in their changelogs.

soundmodel wrote:It seems that they've come up with a commercial FREE license though that allows one to use the product without charge up to $50k revenue. Seems reasonable.
From what I see, there is also a mandatory "Made with JUCE" splashscreen in the free license

Qrchack wrote:
soundmodel wrote:It seems that they've come up with a commercial FREE license though that allows one to use the product without charge up to $50k revenue. Seems reasonable.
From what I see, there is also a mandatory "Made with JUCE" splashscreen in the free license
And user data tracking I think.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”