Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
camsr
KVRAF

6652 posts since 16 Feb, 2005

Postby camsr; Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:33 pm Re: Vermeer MonoSynth-1, a simple 3 OSC monosynth, inspired by the MiniMoog

mystran wrote:point is, the actual block size is variable and simply has an upper bound.

Correct, and it's done that way to improve memory allocation, by only having to allocate once at the start.
meneervermeer
KVRer

14 posts since 2 Aug, 2017

Postby meneervermeer; Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:38 am Re: Vermeer MonoSynth-1, a simple 3 OSC monosynth, inspired by the MiniMoog

mystran wrote:The thing that's important to remember is that the buffer size as reported by the host is the maximum size of what you might get asked to process at once. The number of samples you actually get into your processReplacing (or whatever equivalent function) can actually vary quite a bit (which is why there's an argument for it. In some cases like FL Studio it's basically guaranteed to vary all the time, in some other hosts it's "usually buffersize" with an odd shorter buffer once in a while (eg. when hitting loop point or something) and then some hosts just always use fixed size buffers all the way... but point is, the actual block size is variable and simply has an upper bound.

That's very good to know, I didn't realize that! Haven't found any mention of it in the Juce documentation, so I assumed it was always set fixedly (yep, I just made up that word). Also, I test using Ableton and there is no variable buffer setting, just fixed.
meneervermeer
KVRer

14 posts since 2 Aug, 2017

Postby meneervermeer; Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:48 am Re: Vermeer MonoSynth-1, a simple 3 OSC monosynth, inspired by the MiniMoog

mystran
KVRAF

4553 posts since 11 Feb, 2006, from Helsinki, Finland

Postby mystran; Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:56 am Re: Vermeer MonoSynth-1, a simple 3 OSC monosynth, inspired by the MiniMoog

meneervermeer wrote:I found following post on the Juce forums:
https://forum.juce.com/t/juce-vst-au-and-fl-studio-and-reason/23245/3

FLStudio is not the only host that does variable buffers, but FLStudio is somewhat notable for the fact that in FL almost every block is varying size, so any problem with handling those are always very obvious.
Image <- plugins | forum
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development