Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
ghettosynth
KVRAF

9453 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:15 am Shortest path to programatically create Battery Kits?

Hi All,

Before I go down some ugly paths of automating mouse clicks or some other such nonsense, surely there's a way to cleanly and programatically create a useful drum kit for battery?

Does anyone have any insight on which of the supported input formats is most ideal for this sort of thing? I don't need it to be able to setup effects or much detail, just that I have a kit of samples and where those samples are located and which cell they are in.

Ok, as I find stuff, I'll add it here. I'm finding very little information on file formats. Clearly my google-foo isn't up to snuff.

This tool will read and write .nki files to and from an XML format. No details on how to create a minimal XML file from scratch, however, with enough experimentation, I suppose one could figure out enough.

https://www.linuxsampler.org/nkitool/
Chaotikmind
KVRer

29 posts since 26 Sep, 2005, from France

Postby Chaotikmind; Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:24 am Re: Shortest path to programatically create Battery Kits?

This tool will read and write .nki files to and from an XML format. No details on how to create a minimal XML file from scratch, however, with enough experimentation, I suppose one could figure out enough.

It is opensource, you can read the code and just copy the way they store their XML data, i don't see the problem ?

You could also export an existing an simple NKI file to see how is the general structure.
ghettosynth
KVRAF

Postby ghettosynth; Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:32 am Re: Shortest path to programatically create Battery Kits?

Chaotikmind wrote:

It is opensource, you can read the code and just copy the way they store their XML data, i don't see the problem ?

You could also export an existing an simple NKI file to see how is the general structure.

No no, there's no problem at all in using the source. That wasn't what I meant. The details are not so much about the storage and conversion, that's easy, but about the content and how much is necessary to create a basic Battery kit and how the .nki parameters map to the Battery kit. None of that is really documented.

So, I'd have to create a Basic Battery kit, import into Kontakt 5, save as .nki, read the XML and try to suss out what's necessary. Perhaps modify, recreate the .nki, and import into Battery to see how it works. I'm just trying to find as much documentation as possible before I go down that road. It would be great if .kt2 or .kt3 files could be read directly.

Are .exs files documented? I can't seem to find anything. Again, as the title says, I'm looking for the shortest path with minimal dev effort to make this happen.
ghettosynth
KVRAF

Postby ghettosynth; Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:18 am Re: Shortest path to programatically create Battery Kits?

For some reason Kontakt 3 won't import the Battery 3 kit that I create although it will import Battery 3 kits that are already on my system. This might be a permissions issue I suppose?
ghettosynth
KVRAF

Postby ghettosynth; Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:29 am Re: Shortest path to programatically create Battery Kits?

After a bit more playing, I don't think this will work using .nki files anyway. The open source code reads the nkis just fine but isn't writing them, and, in any case, Battery only imports version 1 nki files.

At this point I think that Reaktor sample maps might be the simplest and cleanest solution to what I'm after. There is code that writes them from a directory so it will be a simple matter to modify that code to accomplish the changes that I need.

Still hoping for at least one well documented sample format that can work easily for import/export. Perhaps using some other sample tool for translation.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development