Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New
antto
KVRAF

2474 posts since 4 Sep, 2006, from 127.0.0.1

Postby antto; Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:00 am Re: Analog-modeling or analog-emulating?

i was wondering about pretty much the same thing a few years ago, about how to call the thing i was working on
i figured i'd call it an approximation, because it's not a simulation like spice (nor even simplified spice), but there are individual bits that use simplified formulas which are really there to some degree in the real device.. while for some other areas i've used digital cheats, including ugly ones.. so it's not easy to say what i've done

what i can clearly say tho, is that my intention was to approximate the real thing "as much as i can" in the specific aspects i considered to be "important"
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.freenode.net >>> #kvr
Zaphod (giancarlo)
KVRAF

2323 posts since 23 Jun, 2006

Postby Zaphod (giancarlo); Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:58 pm Re: Analog-modeling or analog-emulating?

Urs wrote:
Unfortunately "Analogue Emulation" is the term that has been established since the early days of VST.

To my knowledge everybody was speaking about analog modeling in early days, maybe the first to say they were "emulating" gear was syntefex, way before virtual machines, around 2000.
The word was not very common when we started using it, at least for effects, for example "console emulation" or "tape emulation". But I don't follow the instrument forum very much, so I could be wrong.
quikquak
KVRist

298 posts since 6 Aug, 2005, from England

Postby quikquak; Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:13 am Re: Analog-modeling or analog-emulating?

I can't help thinking we're all forgetting that it's all about the customer and whether THEY want to emulate the old synths etc.
It's about them, not entirely about what you are selling. They get drawn to those words in advertising if they are thinking about emulating the 'good old days.' The psychology of it all makes my stomach turn over to be honest.
HoRNet
KVRist

136 posts since 17 Feb, 2011, from Italy

Postby HoRNet; Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:45 am Re: Analog-modeling or analog-emulating?

I think I'm the only one who started using the term "simulation" because that's what we actually do.

Look at the circuit, split it in macro blocks then simulate the behaviour of each block and and link them together, this in my mind is a "simulation" of what a circuit does, not an emulation that by definition has to mimic the specific behaviour of the emulated hardware (say an 1176). We never tried to emulate specific units, but to "simulate" the general behaviour of the analog gear.

Saverio
My Audio plugins http://www.hornetplugins.com
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development