Microsoft looking for Audio Developers in the VI/VST space

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
My team at Microsoft is looking for audio software engineers and program managers with experience building best-in-class products. If you want to be a part of the future of music creation in multiple dimensions check out the following openings and apply!

Senior Program Manager (Digital Audio Software)
https://careers.microsoft.com/jobdetail ... g=EN&pp=SS (https://careers.microsoft.com/jobdetails.aspx?ss=&pg=0&so=&rw=1&jid=304496&jlang=EN&pp=SS)

Senior Music Software Engineer
https://careers.microsoft.com/jobdetail ... g=en&pp=ss (https://careers.microsoft.com/jobdetails.aspx?ss=&pg=0&so=&rw=1&jid=320824&jlang=en&pp=ss)

A bit of advice to the poster: When interviewing candidates for this job, lay off the "brain teaser" questions that you find in the back of Scientific American. Figuring out how to build a trebuchet, or how to move the trains around, is a great way to fill up a company with folks that know how to build a trebuchet. These skills don't have much to do with audio DSP and audio programming.

Sean Costello

If they have experience building "best-in-class products" they probably wouldn't work for MS.

A bit of advice to the poster: ignore the patronising and snobbery. A lot of neckbearded ne'erdowells around here, so there may well be more to come.

I for one appreciate job opportunities like this being brought to the attention of the forum.

Daags wrote:A bit of advice to the poster: ignore the patronising and snobbery. A lot of neckbearded ne'erdowells around here, so there may well be more to come.

I for one appreciate job opportunities like this being brought to the attention of the forum.
I believe you mean patronization. That's what happens when you stay up past your bedtime.

gvala wrote:My team at Microsoft is looking for audio software engineers and program managers with experience building best-in-class products. If you want to be a part of the future of music creation in multiple dimensions check out the following openings and apply!
Guys, first fix your Windows, get rid of all the crap bloatware, the spying bullshit, and return to the simplicity (but with security) of XP. Where the user is the master, and decides what goes and what doesn't go. Then and only then lift up your heads and look people eye to eye and ask for the best of the best. First tidy up your house, then ask others to come and have party there.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

So, one of the biggest software companies in the world comes to KVR to ask for help developing music/audio software and they just get slagged off.

Way to go KVR, so ends any prospect of KVR being taken seriously or prospective employers or contractors.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

masterhiggins wrote:
Daags wrote:A bit of advice to the poster: ignore the patronising and snobbery. A lot of neckbearded ne'erdowells around here, so there may well be more to come.

I believe you mean patronization. That's what happens when you stay up past your bedtime.
In English we spell it with an S not a Z
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
masterhiggins wrote:

In English we spell it with an S not a Z
I meant the form, as in verb as opposed to noun. ;)
Last edited by masterhiggins on Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

HunterKiller wrote: Guys, first fix your Windows, get rid of all the crap bloatware, the spying bullshit, and return to the simplicity (but with security) of XP. Where the user is the master, and decides what goes and what doesn't go. Then and only then lift up your heads and look people eye to eye and ask for the best of the best. First tidy up your house, then ask others to come and have party there.
Seriously? XP? With security? You mean, like Windows 7? :hihi:

I'm glad Microsoft is looking seriously to audio, after all these years. I'd say the first thing would be to create a serious workflow in the OS, something like Core Audio, where people could work with low latencies and several sample resolutions without having to reside on the expertise of the driver writers of the audio interface companys (which suck most of the time), and third party technologies, like ASIO. Something like Core Audio (yes, I'm pointing to Apple - they did that roght). But please do not come with another plug-in format - we already have more than enough of those.

Another thing is improving the graphical aspect of the OS - please abandon that shitty flat appearance, which looks ugly as hell. You mat be flat(ter) without being ugly - OS X again could be called here. Even your Office icons for OS X look way better than the ones you did for your own OS :roll: .

Anyway, welcome, and I hope you find some skilfull people that will help make Windows a better environment for audio. :tu:
Fernando (FMR)

Guys, first fix your Windows, get rid of all the crap bloatware
I agree with that. (I had to downgrade to windows 8 because windows 10 never kept working longer than a few days - after each update which is supposed to fix a few things a new bug is introduced.) If it were possible I would further downgrade to windows 7 - the last microsoft OS that doesn't have multiple personality disorder. Is this supposed to be a tablet OS or a desktop OS?:)
A bit of advice to the poster: When interviewing candidates for this job, lay off the "brain teaser" questions that you find in the back of Scientific American. Figuring out how to build a trebuchet, or how to move the trains around, is a great way to fill up a company with folks that know how to build a trebuchet.
Another good advice, since they have filled the company with these people, they no longer know how to make an operating system.
~stratum~

Windows has over 91% of the desktop market (Mac 6%) you would think more people would switch if it was so bad!

Just to balance some of the negativity, I have 5 computers at home running Win 10 and over 30 at work - never had any issues and my audio Win 10 PC runs better than my previous win 7 (without any tweaking and internet on). Windows has to deal with an almost infinitely variable range of constantly changing hardware configurations (Apple just builds a very limited set of hardware), I think they do a pretty good job and am very please to see them moving in to the media side of computers and not just business systems.

Given that Windows totally dominates the desktop computer O/S world it can only be a good thing if they are now going to concentrate on the pro audio side, things like native aggregate devices and anything that gives lower latency at a core level (around the VST framework) would be superb.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

fmr wrote:
HunterKiller wrote: Guys, first fix your Windows, get rid of all the crap bloatware, the spying bullshit, and return to the simplicity (but with security) of XP. Where the user is the master, and decides what goes and what doesn't go. Then and only then lift up your heads and look people eye to eye and ask for the best of the best. First tidy up your house, then ask others to come and have party there.
Seriously? XP? With security? You mean, like Windows 7? :hihi:

I'm glad Microsoft is looking seriously to audio, after all these years. I'd say the first thing would be to create a serious workflow in the OS, something like Core Audio, where people could work with low latencies and several sample resolutions without having to reside on the expertise of the driver writers of the audio interface companys (which suck most of the time), and third party technologies, like ASIO. Something like Core Audio (yes, I'm pointing to Apple - they did that roght). But please do not come with another plug-in format - we already have more than enough of those.

:
If you install Win 10 they have already addressed this
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
fmr wrote: I'm glad Microsoft is looking seriously to audio, after all these years. I'd say the first thing would be to create a serious workflow in the OS, something like Core Audio, where people could work with low latencies and several sample resolutions without having to reside on the expertise of the driver writers of the audio interface companys (which suck most of the time), and third party technologies, like ASIO. Something like Core Audio (yes, I'm pointing to Apple - they did that right). But please do not come with another plug-in format - we already have more than enough of those.
If you install Win 10 they have already addressed this
If you mean low latency and multiple sample resolutions, I have Windows 10 installed in several machines, and this isn't addressed (at least in the way Core Audio was). Maybe it takes time for programmers, makers and vendors to adapt, but currently, the majority of applications either don't take advantage of the low latency, or they become unstable or take too much CPU.

Maybe things will improve with time.
Fernando (FMR)

I want to echo the sentiment: please, not another plugin format :)
Checkout our VST3/VST2/AU/AAX/LV2:
Inner Pitch | Lens | Couture | Panagement | Graillon

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”