Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Work organization, tips anyone?

HoRNet
KVRist

135 posts since 17 Feb, 2011, from Italy

Postby HoRNet; Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:30 am Work organization, tips anyone?

Hi I'm starting to be a little overwhelmed by the amount of work I have to do to support customers, develop new stuff and fix bugs.

Until now I've used a simple kanban board in our office with post it. The issue is that whle it works pretty well I have a pretty "mobile" way of life and customers ask for support also on Saturdays and Sundays and on those days i don't have access to that board...

Also i'm stating to have so many projects that i'm loosing track, do you have any specific way of keeping track of your TO-DOs that you can suggest me or you simply want to share?

Thank you
Saverio
My Audio plugins http://www.hornetplugins.com
dentnile
KVRist

142 posts since 4 Apr, 2013

Postby dentnile; Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:24 am Re: Work organization, tips anyone?

I use Trello (.com) for everything, own projects and at work. It's free. Great when working in teams.
JCJR
KVRAF

2147 posts since 17 Apr, 2005, from S.E. TN

Postby JCJR; Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:21 am Re: Work organization, tips anyone?

Hi Saverio

Your website and products look nice so far as I can see.

For bug tracking and to-do, bugzilla seemed ok to me but maybe there are lots better somewhere. Dunno much about the many options.

Your message implies you are still a one-man operation? If so then maybe the time draws near to hire a helper?

Some folks seem able to run rather large one man operations. Long ago when I was doing one man shop, ran out of time for anything except sales and tech support with fewer products than your current catalog. No time left over to program. That was pre-internet. Internet can somewhat multiply your labor but it is not an infinite multiplier. :)

If tech support is a big time sink (as I gather from your message), maybe a tech support person? Possibly part-time for starters if money is tight?

Somebody to do weekends and evenings? If you are in Italy, a tech support person in the Americas or Australasia could cover your local night shift and turn it into a day job. Or maybe you could find a bright local student looking for a part time night/weekend gig?

I don't know how to intentionally attract the following (maybe there are ways, dunno)-- A few knowledgable friendly users who hang out on your forum like a social club, are as good and sometimes better than good tech support folk. They work for free because it is fun and they help newbies because it is fun. Forum-lurking potential customers were more likely to believe endorsements by users than tech support folk, regardless how sincere the employees. Because the enthusiastic users were not getting paid to say good things, and it would be hardly surprising that employees would say good stuff about the products even if such opinions might be "overly-optimistic".

Such long-term regular customers and forum participants, we went out of our way to keep em happy. Good vibes tend to multiply. As do bad vibes.
HoRNet
KVRist

135 posts since 17 Feb, 2011, from Italy

Postby HoRNet; Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:01 am Re: Work organization, tips anyone?

We are a two person operation and we are getting on board a third person to help us build a better website.

I’m pretty organized when it comes to my office times and I have no issues answering Facebook messages or emails while i’m Having dinner or lunch. I already sleep 6 hours a night so the support delay isn’t excessive. The hard part is to not loose track of open stuff, in the past there have been issues open for weeks or even a month because I simply forgot to follow them properly.
If I had a system that would remind me what to do using a sort of weighted algorithm between time since task was started and task importance that would be great.

Say you have a system that allows you to enter a task and give it an importance level and a deadline. Then the same system recognizes when you are at your workplace and evaluating task age deadline and inmportance compile a to-do list to keep everything running smoothly...

I need an AI project manager
My Audio plugins http://www.hornetplugins.com
hugoderwolf
KVRist

167 posts since 1 Apr, 2009, from Bochum, Germany

Postby hugoderwolf; Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:20 am Re: Work organization, tips anyone?

+1 for Trello if you're already used to a whiteboard+postit workflow. It's also pretty easy to capture stuff e.g. on the phone. And team-ready.

I personally use OmniFocus synced on all devices. Takes a couple of years to fully adopt the GTD workflow and mindset. But it's an awesome tool especially for capturing new todos from virtually everywhere and processing them later. So if you're on macOS/iOS, you should have a look at that. No team functionality though, it's a purely personal system. And there's a lot of nerdy resources around to make the most out of it. Rabbithole Warning!
dentnile
KVRist

142 posts since 4 Apr, 2013

Postby dentnile; Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:14 am Re: Work organization, tips anyone?

HoRNet wrote:Say you have a system that allows you to enter a task and give it an importance level and a deadline. Then the same system recognizes when you are at your workplace and evaluating task age deadline and inmportance compile a to-do list to keep everything running smoothly...

What we do with Trello is we make a column for a deadline/event/sprint/whatever. Then we sort the cards by priority, highest at the top. Then label them with colors for bug, feature etc. When someone starts working on a card, the card is moved to a column named "Doing". When a card is done it is moved to a column named "Done".

We don't use the due date feature but maybe that's useful for you.

http://help.trello.com/article/797-addi ... s-to-cards
http://help.trello.com/article/794-addi ... s-to-cards

What I like with Trello is that it does not force us to use a certain process, we can use it for whatever process we decide. Like with post-its on a wall, but electronically with notifications and available from everywhere etc.

I'm sure there are similar products, maybe better but this has worked for me without feeling the need to look for something else.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development