Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
joshb
KVRist

69 posts since 13 Apr, 2016

Postby joshb; Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:57 pm Modeling an acoustic piano...

Happy New Year everyone.

I thought I'd start the new year with an interesting experiment...modeling an acoustic piano. Can anyone point me towards a good starting point?

Karplus-Strong?

Any clues how Pianoteq does it?
Music Engineer
KVRAF

3759 posts since 8 Mar, 2004, from Berlin, Germany

Postby Music Engineer; Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:04 pm Re: Modeling an acoustic piano...

joshb wrote:Karplus-Strong?

yes - but you will at least need an additional allpass in the feedback loop of the delayline to get the inharmonicity of stiff strings:

http://www.dafx.ca/proceedings/papers/p_071.pdf

and you probably want to model sympathetic resonance, i.e. a mutual cross-excitation of all the individual strings. i guess that implies to actually run the delaylines for all strings at all times making it essentially a giant feedback delay network, but i'm really just guessing :o
Ananke
KVRer

6 posts since 30 Sep, 2010

Postby Ananke; Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:16 am Re: Modeling an acoustic piano...

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/pasp/Pi ... hesis.html

Could be an interesting project. Maybe stick it on github after :D
EvilDragon
KVRAF

16456 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:34 am Re: Modeling an acoustic piano...

Pianoteq uses much more than K-S... Lots of equation solving in realtime, possibly a crossbreed between waveguides and additive synthesis as well...
syntonica
KVRist

389 posts since 24 Sep, 2014, from Specific Northwest

Postby syntonica; Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:33 pm Re: Modeling an acoustic piano...

You've got a number of things to model: the strings, including the initial strike, sympathetic resonance and reverb, the damper, etc. Then, if you want, I suppose you could use samples for the sounds of the hammers, the pedals, etc. There's quite a bit going on under the hood. The latest Pianoteq seems to go overboard at this--I find it overly muddy and noisy. Sampled pianos seem to be more clear and open sounding, at this point, although limited in adjustability.
EvilDragon
KVRAF

16456 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:13 pm Re: Modeling an acoustic piano...

Latest Pianoteq is absolutely not going overboard... you can reduce the noise volumes if you find it noisy (I don't).
syntonica
KVRist

389 posts since 24 Sep, 2014, from Specific Northwest

Postby syntonica; Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:30 pm Re: Modeling an acoustic piano...

I've just listened to the new demos, I haven't futzed with the new plugin yet, but I still didn't care that much for the previous version. Somewhere between Pianoteq and True Piano lies modeled piano Nirvana for me.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development