MPE has officially been approved by the MIDI Manufacturers Association

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aciddose wrote:Yes, I did understand that. I was more in disagreement about how you said "you could do this in your DAW, but it would be too difficult" ... but you have to consider that one of the features of VST3 often brought up (yes, it is extremely under-utilized and nobody really cares, but) is MPE!
Sure, I'm aware of that. Trackers, FLStudio, VST3... the concept of per-note control has been around for ages, and has been used extensively in the past. No disagreement here. I'm looking at MPE from the perspective of a Seaboard or Linnstrument player, however, i.e. from the live performance / recording aspect. This is how we expect people to use MPE. If instead they elect to use MPE via their hosts, that is perfectly fine with us, of course :)
aciddose wrote:So due to the fact VST3 dropped support for MIDI and VST2 already supports MPE, there is a lot of reason that MIDI's adoption of this standard is great news for those of us who have been asking host authors to improve the situation in their piano rolls and other interfaces.
Good point.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

MIDI-CI looks very interesting! Decent outboard recall would be great.

Don't know where the standard is going, but if the timing and resolution is decent, just imagine you have a standard Midi-CI -> D/A converter module in something like Eurorack, you could potentially create any control signals you like on the software side (Envelopes/clocks/LFOs/Daw Automation) and have it all sync up and with recall, with a standard connector - would be fun!

In the long run, standards also lower costs on the hardware side. Some of these new controllers are great, but pretty expensive.

P.S. Am I being paranoid by feeling uneasy that all those Youtube examples use Cubase? Considering their screw-up with Midi in VST3, I would prefer that they stay as far away from this as possible.

Regards
Andrew

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”