Future proof platform for creating VST's

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm a noob in this section.
I've read up on several topics but it's quite the learning curve so i'd like to ask a few basic questions.

I'm looking for a good and future proof platform for creating VST's (32/64bit). Au support would be nice but is not absolutely necessary.

Iplug seems like a powerfull platform but i am not a hardcore coder.
So Flowstone has come to my attention as it presents quite a few things out of the box and has a graphical approach (that you can complement with some coding.)

* 64 bit is a (future) requisite . Do I understand it correctly that Flowstone is getting there with 64 bit support?

* I like a synth to have some analog vibe and a character of its own. Is this überhaupt possible in Flowstone or do they all sound alike? A few filters (Moog, SVF) are provided in Flowstone. I've looked at the code and they seem quite basic implementations. So I guess you'll have to code your own if you want a decent filter.

* I guess Synthedit is outdated as supporting libraries are not being updated to 64 bit?

FYI: SynthEdit is already available as a 64-bit preview which supports VST version 2 and 3.
We are also working on Mac Audio Unit support. I don't believe flowstone supports Mac.

JUCE or WDL-OL.

VST plug-in frameworks are not that complicated tbh, it's similar to GUI frameworks (e.g. if you've ever programmed Java Swing) with an added process-loop for audio and midi processing. It's the DSP part that's more complicated.

soundmodel wrote: (e.g. if you've ever programmed Java Swing)
Some people call it male-pattern baldness... (Worst Framework ever.)

I've finally gotten the PC side of my GUI engine running and aside from a slight flicker problem (due to nice GDI+ roundy things instead of GDI Flinstone circles), it's ready to go! If I ever get another plugin idea, I can create the GUI in a day rather than weeks.

The DSP may be hard, but it's simple to just plug-it into processReplacing and call it good. :)

@Jeff McClintock: will it just be a Mac runtime or will I be able to develop on my Mac?
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote:@Jeff McClintock: will it just be a Mac runtime or will I be able to develop on my Mac?
Hi,
At first only a Mac runtime. However all new SynthEdit enhancements are being developed using it's own cross-platform graphics SDK. i.e. SynthEdit itself is becoming gradually more "portable". So this opens up the posibility of Mac-based editing in the distant future.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”