Are there any DAW processing uses for the DSP cores on Intel Processors?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I believe the upcoming Cannonlake Intel processors will have a Quad-Core Audio DSP. The current Coffee Lake chips have a dual core audio DSP.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Me thinks you might find some games using this (search with a candle) but surely no Daw or VST plugin at all. It doesn't match our industry standards...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Is the DSP on the CPU or on the chipset? I didn't find much information about this feature anywhere online...

From what I gather, it's saves using some power when playing back media files like MP4s - probably to compete in the mobile market?...

This exists since a long time already. Intel calls it smart sound technology (SST).
And no, nothing really usefull for VST plugins, but when you want to implement noise/echo cancelation, virtual surround, or decoders that actually benefit from offloading DSP (stereo mp3 wont benefit much .. but stuff like a 10ch Dolby Atmos might)

Is this stuff actually available for application programmers in the first place?

mystran wrote:Is this stuff actually available for application programmers in the first place?
I think you're right to suspect no. Video codec writers maybe?

I don't know of any low-level api to access the DSP directly.
On windows Intel provides a WDM driver. On linux it is part of vaapi. But it works like "hey dsp, do fancy virtual surround bassboost shiny EQ stuff on that channel".
It is not like working with a UAD card.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”