Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
DimitrisPl
KVRer

3 posts since 24 Sep, 2017

Postby DimitrisPl; Tue May 29, 2018 5:25 am Re: General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - useful/practical tips for small developers

Also i want to delete my account and i can't.Is it so hard to find this option?omg...
.maki
KVRAF

4390 posts since 21 Jan, 2008, from oO

Postby .maki; Wed May 30, 2018 9:54 am Re: General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - useful/practical tips for small developers

DimitrisPl wrote:They are !@#$ spammers on this site.I didn't sign anything and they keep sending me e-mails.Let's see if they will be fined after my indictment

lol, what are you talking about? Never had any spam from KVR...
.maki
KVRAF

4390 posts since 21 Jan, 2008, from oO

Postby .maki; Wed May 30, 2018 9:56 am Re: General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - useful/practical tips for small developers

stratum
KVRAF

1852 posts since 29 May, 2012

Postby stratum; Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:03 am Re: General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - useful/practical tips for small developers

koalaboy wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Do American or other non-EU companies have to adhere to the new law?
I did receive a mail from AIR's mother company in Rhode Island, but it said I don't need to do anything.

I believe it's anyone dealing with EU citizens' data.

How does that work without having mutual agreements in place?
~stratum~
Urs
u-he

22223 posts since 7 Aug, 2002, from Berlin

Postby Urs; Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:45 am Re: General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - useful/practical tips for small developers

stratum wrote:
koalaboy wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Do American or other non-EU companies have to adhere to the new law?
I did receive a mail from AIR's mother company in Rhode Island, but it said I don't need to do anything.

My impression is that throughout the past few years, legislation is shifting the point of sale in online transactions from the location of the service/goods provider to the location of the customer. One indicator for that is that more and more people around the world need to pay VAT/GST on their purchases. GDPR seems like a natural next step in this direction.
stratum
KVRAF

Postby stratum; Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:22 pm Re: General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - useful/practical tips for small developers

Urs wrote:
stratum wrote:
koalaboy wrote:

My impression is that throughout the past few years, legislation is shifting the point of sale in online transactions from the location of the service/goods provider to the location of the customer. One indicator for that is that more and more people around the world need to pay VAT/GST on their purchases. GDPR seems like a natural next step in this direction.

I'm not sure I have understood that correctly. I'm confused because I can't see how the point of sale can be shifted without founding a local company. I guess transaction processors like Share-It could be involved make it a legally local sale (say, if Share-It has actually founded a local company at the customer side, that is.), but even then, the situation looks a bit strange, because on the one hand, the seller is Share-It, and on the other hand saying that the producer of the product is responsible for customers personal data is a bit absurd on any basis other than moral grounds. Ideally Share-It shouldn't even give that data to the product producer at all and only provide an interface for technical support and license transfers. If they fail to do that, legally it's still their responsibility to protect that data.

In the other case, - say there is no reseller involved and the sale is direct- then the banks involved are the transaction processors and I can't see how that transaction can be considered to be local in any sense. There are mutual agreements regarding VAT and that is collected in some way (I haven't examined the details), but the seller is not even a legally defined company or person within E.U. in this case, how can he/it be responsible with respect to the E.U. law, I can't even imagine.
~stratum~
Urs
u-he

Postby Urs; Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:51 am Re: General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - useful/practical tips for small developers

Just saying what I observe... whatever legal frameworks, I don't know.

It's simply so that by now more and more countries collect VAT or GST when people buy from us (or rather, ShareIt).

I don't know how the EU or whoever is going to enforce DGPR for companies outside the EU once they do business with people inside the EU. I guess the ePrivacy Shield is one of the frameworks upon which this happens, but again, IANAL. Dunno.
stratum
KVRAF

Postby stratum; Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:22 am Re: General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - useful/practical tips for small developers

Law without law enforcement is just ink on a paper.
In the case of VAT the process works because there are agreements in place. For the case of the GDPR law its crossborder enforcement procedure at the moment doesn't look like anything other than fear uncertainity and doubt. That is sensible because there might eventually be such an agreement. Even then it's still unclear how that might work. Suppose somebody in Egypt produced an oud vst and while selling it violated the E.U. GDPR law, what would E.U. officials do, call Interpol? or would they send a message to a jurisdiction there telling that their jurisdiction detected a law violation which was supposed to be protected by a mutual agreement? Wouldn't they say, OK, prove that case here also?
~stratum~
sjm
KVRAF

1571 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Postby sjm; Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:36 am Re: General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - useful/practical tips for small developers

fluffy_little_something wrote:
sjm wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Sounds like yet another crazy EU law [...] It is a joke.

Did you miss, say, the Cambridge Analytica story?

No, I didn't. So?
[...]

The EU is trying to, or pretending to try to achieve the impossible and probably hurting decent EU companies in the process.

Because what this is intended to do is to slap big fines on companies like Facebook when they sell your data to the highest bidder.

Not much should have changed for EU companies; most of this was already law and covered by the previous directive. As I wrote earlier, unless you've been a twat and added everyone you've ever done business with to your mailing list etc. there's very little to do. A couple of privacy notices and information on why you need data and Bob's your uncle.

Now if some countries have been sleeping and didn't update their DP laws to reflect the old guideline, that's hardly the EU's fault. All I can say is that in Austria, and presumably Germany, there's very little to do because the vast majority of the GDPR was already law.

But yes, it's the EU running the show, so we'd better all spew uninformed opinions on the internet about how bureaucrats in Brussels are outlawing bendy bananas. That always ends well, doesn't it.
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)
Urs
u-he

Postby Urs; Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:07 am Re: General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - useful/practical tips for small developers

stratum wrote:what would E.U. officials do, call Interpol?

No idea. But I guess anything that amounts to a 20+ mio fine might indeed end up at Interpol.
stratum
KVRAF

Postby stratum; Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:21 am Re: General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - useful/practical tips for small developers

Urs wrote:
stratum wrote:what would E.U. officials do, call Interpol?

No idea. But I guess anything that amounts to a 20+ mio fine might indeed end up at Interpol.

And the people who are likely to have that much money and are likely to violate the GDPR law are not likely to be plugin producers unless Mr. Zuckerberg isn't downloading the VST sdk now.
~stratum~
Aleksey Vaneev
KVRAF

3486 posts since 7 Sep, 2002

Postby Aleksey Vaneev; Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:56 am Re: General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - useful/practical tips for small developers

These things (GDPR) won't work unless we have a world government. We lived like 20 years without GDPR and it was all mostly non-problematic. GDPR is definitely geared against big IT companies like Google and Facebook. If EU had such giants of EU origin, USA would create such legislations against them. It's a global war for control, capital and income, as usual.

GDPR and law enforcement stand in severe contradiction. If some person commits unlawful acts online and asks admin to sweep his personal data, there will be no data left for later law enforcement activity.
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development