Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
Aleksey Vaneev
KVRAF

3399 posts since 7 Sep, 2002

Postby Aleksey Vaneev; Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:28 pm Re: There goes OpenGL for Mac.

stratum wrote:
Aleksey Vaneev wrote:https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... -macs-date

I hope and expect this "ARM desktop" narrative goes bust. Save $30 on a CPU cost and lose $50 on software upgrades, bad economy for everyone.

Just $50?

Maybe magnitudes more, of course, multiple billions on the world scale, actually. I was just giving a base example.

My speculation is maybe Apple wants to flood macOS desktop with App Store mobile apps. Chances are, independent macOS developers don't generate as much income for them.
Cinebient
KVRAF

3406 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Postby Cinebient; Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:21 am Re: There goes OpenGL for Mac.

I also think mac is not really important for Apple. It will need some more years but iOS is clearly their main focus since there is all the money.
But until there is no full X-code for iOS and their pro apps like Logic are not available for iOS they are still trying to please the niche users with some crappy mac upgrades and macOS updates.
Maybe developers should focus more on iOS as well to be ready for the (unwanted?) future or focus on windows only :D
quikquak
KVRist

368 posts since 6 Aug, 2005, from England

Postby quikquak; Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:28 am Re: There goes OpenGL for Mac.

Their two OSs are probably going to merge at some point, after all the iMac is basically just an iPad on a stick I was surprised to hear there’s a new Mac Pro on the horizon though...
Aleksey Vaneev
KVRAF

3399 posts since 7 Sep, 2002

Postby Aleksey Vaneev; Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:14 am Re: There goes OpenGL for Mac.

Cinebient wrote:I also think mac is not really important for Apple. It will need some more years but iOS is clearly their main focus since there is all the money.
But until there is no full X-code for iOS and their pro apps like Logic are not available for iOS they are still trying to please the niche users with some crappy mac upgrades and macOS updates.
Maybe developers should focus more on iOS as well to be ready for the (unwanted?) future or focus on windows only :D

I think merging of iOS and macOS may be the end for professional use of Mac, may put Mac into entertainment computer category. There are chacnes, App Store's existence will make pro software producers hesitant to sell software there at hugely discounted prices ($5 per plugin isn't much). 6 years ago Windows music producers rushed to Mac, then they'll probably rush to Windows back. Indeed, Apple can't quite stay up to date with their desktop hardware updates.
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development