Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
vortico
KVRist

146 posts since 19 Jul, 2008

Postby vortico; Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:14 am Re: There goes OpenGL for Mac.

Maybe "amateur pro audio" was the term I should use? I consider that an oxymoron. Most Ableton Live users for example don't make money from its use, and hobby music producers spend more money on desktop software than mobile. Unless I've lived under a rock for the last 6 years (which I kind of have in the mobile audio world.)
VCV Rack open-source virtual modular synthesizer
Aleksey Vaneev
KVRAF

3465 posts since 7 Sep, 2002

Postby Aleksey Vaneev; Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:24 am Re: There goes OpenGL for Mac.

vortico wrote:Maybe "amateur pro audio" was the term I should use? I consider that an oxymoron. Most Ableton Live users for example don't make money from its use, and hobby music producers spend more money on desktop software than mobile. Unless I've lived under a rock for the last 6 years (which I kind of have in the mobile audio world.)

I think "pro" and "amateur" are now equal categories in "pro audio". What I mean, "production" workflow is what makes mobile an unlikely choice. Mobile is suitable for "consumption". There's a lot of little bits required in production like disk folder manipulation, multi-format support, system-level utilities (e.g. audio routing, encoding, etc) that will probably never be available on mobile platforms.
mystran
KVRAF

4927 posts since 11 Feb, 2006, from Helsinki, Finland

Postby mystran; Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:21 am Re: There goes OpenGL for Mac.

Aleksey Vaneev wrote:
marzelli wrote:
Aleksey Vaneev wrote:On web-search you can at least compete offering a better and more relevant content (but then Google also fails at times - e.g. it shows/promotes Spectrum Analyzer by Seven Phases at Splice as a highly-visible Google Knowledge panel on "spectrum analyzer plugin" search).

What's the problem with that?

Well, instead of providing a general "knowledge" of what spectrum analyzer plugin is, they've injected a description of a competing product.

That might be your "personalised search results" ... since I have those disabled (as far as you can disable them anyway) and I'm getting a pretty neutral search page. The right-hand side info panel has an image with bunch of popular spectrum analysers (including 2 of your plugins) and there's a few links marked as "ad" on top that seem to be from more traditional industry. After the ads we get a link to BPB and then two links to Voxengo.

But.. that's the thing with Google. Just because you see certain search results, doesn't necessarily mean other people see the same results, unless the highest ranked pages are very obviously highest ranked (eg. searching a popular site by name, or something).

edit: oh.. I see they link to Seven Phases in the info box bottom... well.. that's arguably a little weird... well.. who knows..
Image <- plugins | forum
Aleksey Vaneev
KVRAF

Postby Aleksey Vaneev; Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:50 am Re: There goes OpenGL for Mac.

mystran wrote:edit: oh.. I see they link to Seven Phases in the info box bottom... well.. that's arguably a little weird... well.. who knows..

Not a good act from Google. It's like telling on "photo-copier" that it's Xerox, or "hamburger" is BigMac.
Delta Sign
KVRist

143 posts since 22 Jun, 2018

Postby Delta Sign; Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:02 am Re: There goes OpenGL for Mac.

Well, I get what you mean, but Google is a private company, they don't have to be neutral in any way, contrary to popular believe.
vortico
KVRist

146 posts since 19 Jul, 2008

Postby vortico; Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:09 am Re: There goes OpenGL for Mac.

Google search product summary pages are automatically generated with no human input for all but the most important topics. In fact, they usually don't even have time to fix issues like that. It's simply the result of having high page rank and matching most of the words in a string to trigger a product summary like that.
VCV Rack open-source virtual modular synthesizer
Aleksey Vaneev
KVRAF

Postby Aleksey Vaneev; Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:23 am Re: There goes OpenGL for Mac.

vortico wrote:Google search product summary pages are automatically generated with no human input for all but the most important topics. In fact, they usually don't even have time to fix issues like that. It's simply the result of having high page rank and matching most of the words in a string to trigger a product summary like that.

What I'm talking about is a different thing to "product summary pages". It's a Knowledge Graph element which by design should be neutral on information, and if I'm not mistaken it's approved by the staff. Maybe it's a mistake, but a bit depressing one. I do not complain, SPAN plugin still holds search position 1-2 in average, I just wonder why Seven phases by Splice? Maybe they've found a hack?
Delta Sign
KVRist

143 posts since 22 Jun, 2018

Postby Delta Sign; Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:32 am Re: There goes OpenGL for Mac.

Google AdWords would be my guess.
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development