Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
WOK
KVRAF

2093 posts since 24 Feb, 2004, from Germany

Postby WOK; Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:55 am Re: Selling VST2 after October 2018: Steinberg agreement

ImageImage
syntonica
KVRist

392 posts since 24 Sep, 2014, from Specific Northwest

Postby syntonica; Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:00 am Re: Selling VST2 after October 2018: Steinberg agreement

Psst.. Hey, buddy! Yeah, you. You got a VST 2 SDK? 8)

Want one? :hihi:

Looks like Steinberg is trying to stamp the older code out is all. Nothing unusual here--try finding some older Apple docs or SDKs.

Now that Apple is killing OpenGL, not sure what's next for my code base. I was just getting the hang of it, too!

Guess I'd better dig out my VST 3 docs and start learning... :cry:
S0lo
KVRian

583 posts since 31 Dec, 2008

Postby S0lo; Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:08 pm Re: Selling VST2 after October 2018: Steinberg agreement

syntonica wrote:Psst.. Hey, buddy! Yeah, you. You got a VST 2 SDK? 8)

Want one? :hihi:

Looks like Steinberg is trying to stamp the older code out is all. Nothing unusual here--try finding some older Apple docs or SDKs.

Now that Apple is killing OpenGL, not sure what's next for my code base. I was just getting the hang of it, too!

Guess I'd better dig out my VST 3 docs and start learning... :cry:

I have no idea what happened to "Backward compatibility". Such a waste of time, constantly learning new APIs for months, that end up doing almost the same thing, but usually slower and heavier on CPU.

No long term strategy. Poor planing. New engineers come and wipe out what the old ones have done in the name of "renovation". Reinventing the same wheel again and again, instead of building up on what has been done before. Change for the sake of change.

All respect to MIcrosoft. My 15 year old code still works because I use their core API. Not that they haven't done worse in other occasions, but at least some thing is done well.

IMHO
soulelle
KVRer

1 post since 30 May, 2018

Postby soulelle; Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:20 pm Re: Selling VST2 after October 2018: Steinberg agreement

S0lo wrote:I have no idea what happened to "Backward compatibility". Such a waste of time, constantly learning new APIs for months, that end up doing almost the same thing, but usually slower and heavier on CPU.

No long term strategy. Poor planing. New engineers come and wipe out what the old ones have done in the name of "renovation". Reinventing the same wheel again and again, instead of building up on what has been done before. Change for the sake of change.

All respect to MIcrosoft. My 15 year old code still works because I use their core API. Not that they haven't done worse in other occasions, but at least some thing is done well.

IMHO

Such a waste of time and money in the lack of intelligent human resources indeed, constantly learning someone else's code or architecture, that end up being inefficient when running on a brand-new device.

No short term tactics. Slow response to user demand and business needs. New engineers spend years to understand megabytes of existing code, with outdated architecture that the old ones have done in the name of "backward compatibility", instead of writing something that simply works in two weeks.

All respect to APple. I stayed in business for 15 years because my customers keep paying for updates/subscription plans to get the latest and greatest. Not that Apple haven't done worse in other occasions, but at least some thing is done well.

IMHO
S0lo
KVRian

Postby S0lo; Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:10 pm Re: Selling VST2 after October 2018: Steinberg agreement

soulelle wrote:
S0lo wrote:I have no idea what happened to "Backward compatibility". Such a waste of time, constantly learning new APIs for months, that end up doing almost the same thing, but usually slower and heavier on CPU.

IMHO

Such a waste of time and money in the lack of intelligent human resources indeed, constantly learning someone else's code or architecture, that end up being inefficient when running on a brand-new device.

No short term tactics. Slow response to user demand and business needs. New engineers spend years to understand megabytes of existing code, with outdated architecture that the old ones have done in the name of "backward compatibility", instead of writing something that simply works in two weeks.

All respect to APple. I stayed in business for 15 years because my customers keep paying for updates/subscription plans to get the latest and greatest. Not that Apple haven't done worse in other occasions, but at least some thing is done well.

IMHO

Really good first post :wink:

IMHO
Aleksey Vaneev
KVRAF

3486 posts since 7 Sep, 2002

Postby Aleksey Vaneev; Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:24 pm Re: Selling VST2 after October 2018: Steinberg agreement

"Hype" is all what businesses need. E.g. VST3. But even worse plague happens in web-technologies - so many things on top of other things, new languages constantly appear - not better languages, but "hypey" enough. And we blame God for dividing humans by language.
discoDSP
KVRAF

3564 posts since 17 Jul, 2002

Postby discoDSP; Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:55 am Re: Selling VST2 after October 2018: Steinberg agreement

Isn't dropping VST2 support from Steinberg pointless for developers who already have a signed agreement?
discoDSP Plug-Ins | Synths | Sampler | Effects
aMUSEd
KVRAF

29643 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:07 am Re: Selling VST2 after October 2018: Steinberg agreement

Yeah but what about new developers? Looks like increasingly new plugins from new companies won't be developed in VST2
S0lo
KVRian

Postby S0lo; Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:15 am Re: Selling VST2 after October 2018: Steinberg agreement

Aleksey Vaneev wrote:

"Hype" is all what businesses need. E.g. VST3. But even worse plague happens in web-technologies - so many things on top of other things, new languages constantly appear - not better languages, but "hypey" enough. And we blame God for dividing humans by language.

I do agree. Can't help but smile in vain sometimes when some question like "Is C++ good to learn in 2018 ?" pops up in Quora :ud:
Aleksey Vaneev
KVRAF

3486 posts since 7 Sep, 2002

Postby Aleksey Vaneev; Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:47 am Re: Selling VST2 after October 2018: Steinberg agreement

aMUSEd wrote:Yeah but what about new developers? Looks like increasingly new plugins from new companies won't be developed in VST2

Won't be developed to skip on Ableton Live userbase? Well, if business is not serious, maybe.
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... 27844-VST3
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development