Selling VST2 after October 2018: Steinberg agreement

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VST Audio Plug-ins SDK (C++)

Without being actually very familiar with LADSPA, my first guess would be that this "fix" would actually work without breaking any existing code:

Code: Select all

#ifdef PLATFORM_IS_32BITS
 typedef  uint_32 ladspa_uint;
#else
 typedef  uint_64 ladspa_uint;
#endif

typedef struct _LADSPA_Descriptor { 

/* This numeric identifier indicates the plugin type
     uniquely. Plugin programmers may reserve ranges of IDs from a
     central body to avoid clashes. Hosts may assume that IDs are
     below 0x1000000. */
   ladspa_uint UniqueID;
~stratum~

I agree, but I don't agree you'll see them do that any time soon for the official header.

Personally I'd prefer:

below 0x1000000. */
   ladspa_uint32_t UniqueID;
I can't stand ambiguity like "uint": how many bits?

Obviously struct packing becomes an issue due to void * or other larger types.

The options are either to waste bits (fine I guess) or move the pointers elsewhere. If not implementing a system like I suggest (get_func_ptr("blah") ...) the best solution would be to define the proper type:

typedef uintptr_t ladspa_uintptr_t;
     below 0x1000000. */
   ladspa_uintptr_t UniqueID;
Although then you need to watch out for cases where uintptr_t is less than 32-bits. Those definitely exist such as on embedded systems with 16-bit or 8-bit pointers. There are also cases where sizeof(uintptr_t) != sizeof(void *) although I've never experienced those.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

For those of you who registered as individuals and successfully got signed vst2 agreements back from Steinberg, what line did you sign on?

I signed on the line that said "licensee Printed Signature" but they replied that they couldn't sign because my signature is missing.

DrMEM wrote:For those of you who registered as individuals and successfully got signed vst2 agreements back from Steinberg, what line did you sign on?

I signed on the line that said "licensee Printed Signature" but they replied that they couldn't sign because my signature is missing.
I signed my actual signature on the first line in the 'Licensee' section ("By:") and hand wrote my name on the "Printed Signature:" line.

I imported mine into Affinity Designer typed everything in text lines, and signed it with my mouse. Then exported a PDF - much easier than faffing around with printers etc...
Last edited by quikquak on Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I used macOS Preview, which allows to fill the PDF and place a scanned signature. Steinberg sent the VST2 and VST3 agreements back without issues.

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/digita ... ew-on-mac/

It's an awkward translation: "printed signature" should be simply "signature". In US/English law at least, there is no such thing as a printed signature. If handwritten printed, it wouldn't be your signature.
VCV Rack, the Eurorack simulator

vortico wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:54 pm It's an awkward translation: "printed signature" should be simply "signature". In US/English law at least, there is no such thing as a printed signature. If handwritten printed, it wouldn't be your signature.
No, "printed signature" means to print the name you use as your signature. "By" means your signature. This is not uncommon for contracts.

Sign on the By line. This may be an unrecognizable squiggle.

Type out the letters in your signature—"Fred B. Happy". Now it's clear who signed on the By line, even if it was an unrecognizable squiggle.
My audio DSP blog: earlevel.com

Lets do a few more bumps for sleeping developers. Before execution day.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

vortico wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:54 pm It's an awkward translation: "printed signature" should be simply "signature". In US/English law at least, there is no such thing as a printed signature. If handwritten printed, it wouldn't be your signature.
It's interisting how things varies across the world, in this neck of the woods it usually means: write out full name in block letters, and sign next to it. That's what I did and got it back without complaints.

Here you also have to initial every page, so that somebody can't slip in an "edit".

3... 2... 1...
Checkout our VST3/VST2/AU/AAX/LV2:
Inner Pitch | Lens | Couture | Panagement | Graillon

I got mine, just in case...

I saw this thread just now after not reading KVR and such for a while. Does this mean I'm forever incapable of releasing a plugin that supports VST2? I'm about a month away from being able to release my product I've been working on for over a year or so.
I will still be able to release AU and VST3 I suppose.
Is it ok to release VST2 if using VST3 sdk ni compability? I've never looked in to that, I've never even released a VST3.
I'm using JUCE if that matters.
David Guda gudaaudio.com

Does this b.t.w apply to both new and already release plugins?
David Guda gudaaudio.com

davidguda wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:02 pm I saw this thread just now after not reading KVR and such for a while. Does this mean I'm forever incapable of releasing a plugin that supports VST2? I'm about a month away from being able to release my product I've been working on for over a year or so.
I will still be able to release AU and VST3 I suppose.
Is it ok to release VST2 if using VST3 sdk ni compability? I've never looked in to that, I've never even released a VST3.
I'm using JUCE if that matters.
OMG.

I've downloaded the SDK just now and it still contains the VST2 folder!!. I'd say try signing the agreement and send it to them quick. May be they can slip something under the table.

I can't imagine the hundreds of devs in your same shoes right now.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”