Does the Donationware principle work?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

if my office wasn't so darn hot i'd post some big, profound statement that would have everyone nodding sagely (or maybe not...:)) but you'll have to live with some half-assed thoughts instead...

i find the idea people would expect to live off of donations bizarre, hardly a sound business model? surely it's more like a craft fair or something, someone bakes some cakes or carves some ornaments then sell them at low prices not to make a living but to 'contribute' to the community they move in; a social thing as much as anything?

personally i like that 'warm' feeling you get from supporting a community (wishy-washy humanist i know....) though i'm realistic enough to know I wouldn't trust people if my living depended upon it.

and yes, i have noted a couple of times though not for vsts... utility apps that have saved me a lot of work. Thinking about it, I never received a thank you or anything from the developers... ungrateful so and sos...
:?

i'd like to see people being more creative with their licensing, y'know, stuff like postcardware, karmaware, careware (arachnophilia web editor) etc.

My suggestion: Ransomware, try it fully functional for a month or so then either donate (no need to be greedy) or uninstall. If you don't, your HD gets formatted... :D

.g

i'd like to see people being more creative with their licensing, y'know, stuff like postcardware, karmaware, careware (arachnophilia web editor) etc.
I really like this idea.. What about musicware? If you use the plugin you have to send the developer tunes you have written using their plugins. (Im always curoius what people do with our plugins!)

Paul

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”