makin skins ...

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

is there an easy way to create only the graphics for an vst/vsti ? up to now i`ve been using photoshop, but it`s a pita for me to create forms as i`m not really familar with photoshop ...
any easier way ?
how you folx doin this ?
thanx in advance,

sorry for the double post ... :oops:

reg,
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

I'm using Photoshop for all the skins I make.... it's really easy (if you know how) and tools like KnobRenderPro are godsend

some areusing PaintShop Pro (I think I remember ddrummer said he's using this - and his guis are great)

personally I took to Paint Shop Pro a lot more than Photoshop; just something about the way it does things makes more sense to me.

Though any graphic app will need some time spending with it to get the most out of it (more than music apps even! :))

You could try the demo of RealDraw (You'll have to Google it). Lots of clever features that make GUI or Web type graphics a breeze.

.g

www.gimp.org

very good, and very cheap ;) (0!)

I tend to use Photoshop .. but I will sometimes do knobs in Flash MX and then export to a png sequence and use png-stitch to turn them into a control strip.. The obvious advantage of using Flash is when you are trying to animate non standard controls.. Have a look at some of the controls that are available at http://www.krakli.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=66 You might find the number tumbler one interesting (as used in my Lizard synth)

thanx guys ... now even more confused than before ... :shock: :lol: but i think i need both ... photoshop and then (wich i dont have a clou of) an app that allowes easy object based working for making forms, shapes and stuff for building the layout. in ps this is not easy to draw a form or a shape easy exept a few like circles, quaders etc, especially if you have to rezize and coordinate them later on in your work ...
i think this is because ps is layered pixel based and not object based, correct me if i`m wrong ...
puuhh ... i think i have to get to results really fast and i don´t have a clou ... hehe ... :roll: :oops:
there was a "skin maker" for se once, but it crashed my machine all the ways ... hoped for something easy like this at least ... think i`ll have to go back to my graphics learning book .... :?
do i ?

reg,
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign

www.inkscape.org

object (vector) based graphics...

Robert Randolph wrote:www.inkscape.org

object (vector) based graphics...
:D Thanks for posting that link! I tend to use vector graphics almost exclusively in Paint Shop Pro, but Inkscape looks like a far better program in that respect. I may have to switch over :wink:.

- Niall.

wow inkscape looks great, thanks from me too :)

thanx from me too ... inkspace seems to do the job ... allthough i get to manage photoshps path-stuff now ... ;)

reg,
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”