VST(i)'s out of tune!!

Official support for: energy-xt.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have had weird problem with couple of vst instruments in XT. M-audio key rig and garritan personal orchestra 4 are out of tune sometimes when i open songs that contains these plugins. My theory is that it has something to do with multichannel instruments because these are only multichannel instruments i have.

Other problem is that synth1 is not very accurate when recording midi-parts with midi-keyboard. If rec isn't on, there is no problem. This problem appears only with synth1 in XT. I use XT and Renoise and only XT have this problem. If anyone have solutions for these issues, i would appriciate it.

I have noticed the tuning problem with z3ta+ and Atlantis.

could be a resampling problem , try tweaking your audiocard settings in xt
i had a similar issue but it was the driver causing it

I'm gonna check the drivers but i belive i have latest ones. Which card do you have? Mine is M-audio fast track II. Maybe it's the driver but it feels weird that it's only those 2 plugins and only in energy-xt that have this problem.

I'm using a Line6 Pod Studio UX2 with the ASIO UX2 driver at 16-bit/44.1Khz. I took he opportunity to changed to the ASIO4ALL V2 driver at 24-bit/44.1Khz. I manged to remove and reload all of the detunes z3ta+ parts and then resaved the project. I think I may still have problems but I'll check again later.

I'm still having problems, but my memory is returning :) I used to have problems on Win-XP (32-bit) as well, but the symptoms were different. The saved midi for a Pro-53 track would often become silent as opposed to Win-7 64-bit where the midi playback is 1 semitone low. In each case, using the Pro-53 keyboard to generate a note would produce notes of the correct pitch and volume. Under both OS, this was not always repeatable, but the track I'm working on at the moment seems to behave fairly consistently. I'm going to shift the notes up 1 semitone and save the project. Hopefully, when I reload it, the pitch will be correct. This could cause confusion if I revisit the project in a couple of years' time.

seismic1 wrote:I'm still having problems, but my memory is returning :) I used to have problems on Win-XP (32-bit) as well, but the symptoms were different. The saved midi for a Pro-53 track would often become silent as opposed to Win-7 64-bit where the midi playback is 1 semitone low. In each case, using the Pro-53 keyboard to generate a note would produce notes of the correct pitch and volume. Under both OS, this was not always repeatable, but the track I'm working on at the moment seems to behave fairly consistently. I'm going to shift the notes up 1 semitone and save the project. Hopefully, when I reload it, the pitch will be correct. This could cause confusion if I revisit the project in a couple of years' time.
Hmm, I wonder if it's something to do with XT and NI plugins? I've had the bad tuning and silent tracks with projects where I've used Battery 3.

robenestobenz wrote:
seismic1 wrote:I'm still having problems, but my memory is returning :) I used to have problems on Win-XP (32-bit) as well, but the symptoms were different. The saved midi for a Pro-53 track would often become silent as opposed to Win-7 64-bit where the midi playback is 1 semitone low. In each case, using the Pro-53 keyboard to generate a note would produce notes of the correct pitch and volume. Under both OS, this was not always repeatable, but the track I'm working on at the moment seems to behave fairly consistently. I'm going to shift the notes up 1 semitone and save the project. Hopefully, when I reload it, the pitch will be correct. This could cause confusion if I revisit the project in a couple of years' time.
Hmm, I wonder if it's something to do with XT and NI plugins? I've had the bad tuning and silent tracks with projects where I've used Battery 3.
I think I occasionally noticed the same (silence) problem on my old XP machine with Kore Player. I can't test it on the new machine. I no longer have KP.

I guess it is a resampling issue.
It might come from synths using wavetable/rompler sythesis (like Atlantis for instance).
If the synth's sample rate is "tuned" to run @ 44khz, but that your soundcard is set to run @ 48khz, you may hear bad resampling/detuning at export.
It only happens in Ext2, but i had this problem a while ago.

I've only ever had the driver set to 44.1Khz. I need to play with this some more.

So far then, we can say that problems have been noted with Pro-53, z3ta+, Atlantis, Battery 3 and Kore Player. I think I also had occasional silent treatment on my old machine with Waldorf Wave 2.V

So, I just reset my driver to 48Khz, accepted the changes, played the midi, and....still bad. I thought, what the hell, and then saved the project and quit out of XT, restarted XT and reloaded the project. The Pro-53 midi track is now correct.

I'm going to load up some of those problem projects containing z3ta+ now. If that is successful I might even work on some new music this weekend :wink:

Spent approx. 4 hours trying to load an EnergyXT2.5.3 project from my dead XP machine containing PolyIblit, Pro-53, EnergyXT Synthesizer and EnergyXT Drum Sampler into any version of EnergyXT that would accept it on my Win7 machine. I loaded the old project and saved it as a new one using various combinations of eXT 2.5.4, 2.6 and 2.7beta. Each time I reloaded the project, 1 of the PolyIblit instances, or the eXT synth would play odd notes out of tune . I've seen this before but never got to the bottom of it. It could be a bug in eXT, but it may be a problem with one of the VSTis. I currently have a working project after exporting the MIDI from the original project, and reloading it into a new one under ext2.7beta and then loading the original VST instances onto the correct tracks. I have a suspicion that NI Pro-53 might be the cause, but I can't be sure.

All of this was using the ASIO UX2 driver at 44.1Khz/16-bit

I think I played with the 48Khz settings a few months ago when I had a similar problem with another old project. I suspect that this is not just related to old projects, but to particular VSTis.

I'm having this problem with Image-Line synths, namely Harmless/Harmor and Sytrus.

To reproduce:
create a pattern 1 bar long
fill it with a single note just short of 1 bar in length - say an A note
open up an Image-Line synth (harmless/harmor/sytrus)
select a clear pad like sound
duplicate the pattern
loop from the start of the 1st bar to the end of the first beat of the 2nd bar

Now, even though there is no other controller info, when it loops around you can see the actual notes change in harmless on the keyboard - first A then Aflat and so on. The weird thing is I just tried doing it again and it doesn't do it, but I have saved files where it does. Also I got rid of the problem by unghosting the 2nd bar and moving the note and then moving it back again. Problem went away, but this does not always work. I have FM7 on the same track and the note is always played as a A whilst harmless is physically changing notes back and forth.

Wtf?

What is sending this weird controller information? Why does it not always do it?

Changing the settings on my ASIO Driver by unticking the box where it says "Always resample 44.1KHz to 48KHz" seems to alleviate the problem sometimes, but then it just comes back.

Energy XT is the only host I have ever noticed this happening in, so it can't be the synths fault. Though I have only noticed it with the Image-Line synths it may happen with others.

Is this even the same problem as you chaps are describing? Can anyone reproduce this problem?

I have seen a similar problem in EnergyXT. I suspected problems when NI synths were contained in the project, but Z3ta+ also seems to show the problem. Everything seems to be ok whilst I have a new project open, but after I have saved the project and re-opened it, I sometimes see the problem.

seismic1 wrote:I have seen a similar problem in EnergyXT. I suspected problems when NI synths were contained in the project, but Z3ta+ also seems to show the problem. Everything seems to be ok whilst I have a new project open, but after I have saved the project and re-opened it, I sometimes see the problem.
Exactly.

So it happens with NI and Image-Line synths. I know the guis disappear in XT2, well of Harmless and Harmor they do frequently and only re-opening the whole project restores it.

But this happened the other day, and it's just too weird for words.
I downloaded and started playing with the mighty Sforzando. It works perfectly and is a really beautiful piece of very well written and well designed software.

I had a few instances of it playing some sounds with the release set so they just droned on and on and on.... (don't say it ;-)).

So, I fire up Camelspace and a few other plugins to mutate it even further. Ok, you get the picture. This thing has been droning for ages. I record it to wav.
I reload the wav onto a new track by drag and drop, muting the drone track to listen to the recorded wav and see if it came out ok. Yup no problems. Perfect.

Now, bare in mind that this thing is still droning from the same notes. No new notes have been played and no sequencer is moving. It is just stopped.
Now, when I unmute the drone track, the pitch of it has shifted a semi-tone.
WTF?

How is this possible? No new notes have been played. The sound is well into the audio buffer I would imagine ten minutes later.

So, not only is the note being physically changed on the keyboard by a semi-tone, but it is also being changed in the audio-buffer by a semi-tone also. I had the freshly recorded wav of it remember to compare it to. My ear training might not be up to snuff, but I know a dissonant semi-tone when I hear one.

Is this the greatest mystery of our times? Would any dev be able to step in and hazard a wild guess as to what this is all about. I mean, it defies the laws of physics (kind of ;-)).

It's the Energy XT2 forum and here we are years later, still unable to let go, to move on. To get closure. We even know we are in denial. Like loyal little soldiers.

I suppose it would be too much to ask that the oh mighty one might deem to at least acknowledge his minions misgivings? Or will we just see a fix on the Coming Next list for XT2.9 in 25 years time? As if by magic. All hail the might one. All hail the mighty one. He is blessed. We are nothing. He is holy. We are his Untermenschen. He is the Übermensch. He maketh the bugs and he then maketh them go away. Hail. Hail.

:help:

Or maybe not.

Then again, maybe we will never see a fix. This is as close to a show-stopper that I have noticed in XT2 for a long time.

All the best.

:D

Return to “energyXT”