Setup for Multi-Band Splitting and Processing inc. Voxengo stuff

Official support for: energy-xt.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a setup that you can load as a vst in whatever other hosts you use, and have XT split the audio signal into either 3 or 4 bands depending on whether you use Fr33some or Crossover. I'm finding myself using it a lot with Studio One.

In this example I have setup Voxengo Deft Compressor to work in Multi-Band operation being fed by RS-Met Crossover. So with just the one Deft you can process 4 stereo audio channels corresponding to either the Low, Low-Mid, Hi-Mid or High bands. With feedback of all bands at once and an ability to solo each band. Deft is now effectively working as a 4-Band, Multi-Band Compressor.

You can use pretty much any of the other Voxengo plugins like this, however, as most of them now have 8 inputs.

So we are feeding each band of the crossover into stereo pairs on the Voxengo plugin.

You will need to set this routing up for it to work properly:

You will need to do this for any of the Voxengo plugins you want to use in this mode.

It is also possible to setup CurveEQ and Span in the chain. They can then 'read' your frequencies and see if there is any 'collision' in the spectrum:

Don't forget to set the routing on the plugin though for this to work. I don't think you can get more than two bands showing at once on Curve and Span - you need GlissEQ to show them all, but two is fine for most purposes. I'm using CurveEQ here, but you can dl Span for free.

This is a much more complex setup with it in operation:

I won't bother explaining what is going on here, but treat it like a master template where you can just take things out as you need them or not, and save to another file. There is also a choice here of using fr33some instead of Crossover, and feeding that to the different Comps and busses. You can solo just the Crossover bus, or individual Crossover points as well, obviously. Or mix them all together.

Here is another shot of Deft in Multi-Band mode with the metering set differently:

And another shot of CurveEQ, checking the higher ranges:

I've included two XT files - one with the simple setup and the other with the more complex setup. The complex setup is more for demonstration purposes and proof of concept. Also in the complex set up you will find a fr33some and a CrossOver setup and routed, as in the previous screenshot.

We won't go into nulling here. Or linear phase vs. minimum phase and latency. I have a few plugins I have tested, some free that work at extremely low latency and with perfect nulling on the master bus every time. I have templates for them in several hosts. This one was just to show how to set up the Voxengo stuff mainly and give a starting point for people wanting to do Multi-Band processing.

If you don't have any Voxengo plugins around and don't want to use those plugins anyway, this setup is handy even if you just use it for the CrossOver and splitting part. Those plugins are free.

Obviously this is a 'chaining' type preset to be loaded into your other hosts, but there's no reason why you couldn't take this set up and just get it to work normally from 'within' XT by adding a sequencer.

Here they are:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/860 ... I-BAND.zip

I've run into what looks like some serious bugs when trying to set up a null-testing template from within XT. I've done it about 3 or 4 different ways, got them all working perfectly, and then on reload, things have stopped working. I've spent about 8 hours trying to set it up where I have done the same in other hosts in 10 minutes. I'll leave that for another post. I would, of course, appreciate it if anyone could put up a quick null-testing template that they happen to use in XT, if they have one lying around. More on this later....

Return to “energyXT”