Is there anyone posting here that actually enjoys using energyxt?

Official support for: energy-xt.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I still enjoy using EnergyXT. I just recently installed the v3beta1 and it's reminded me of how good it can be when it's working.
I use Reaper and FL Studio also, but I decided recently to start all my projects in EnergyXT because the MIDI and it's input quantizing work better than the other two on my Ubuntu Studio Linux system. I actually use the 32-bit Windows version because for some odd reason it's more stable than the Linux version and I like having VST's.

Basically I compose the main ideas with MIDI, combine in some WAV files, and render the results to stems. Then import the stems into Reaper for further editing and overdubbing. Also EnergyXT's MIDI export works with Reaper while for some reason FL Studio's MIDI export doesn't work right on my system. So that's another plus that let's me continue working where EnergyXT leaves off.

Also, I like the looping and stretching functions and how they work. I still don't know much about automation, but I can do that in Reaper.
As for FL Studio, I recently ran some tests and it turns out that I can't really use it because I don't have enough CPU power in my laptop.
So I just use FL Studio for creating drum patterns with the step editor rendering out WAV stems. I can't afford the Producer version but it wouldn't be worth it anyhow without the CPU power even though it would allow me to freeze tracks.

Anyways, I know it's taken way too long for the updates, but I'm still thankful for them. Maybe at some point in the future, the project will fork and somebody else who is busier will take it over. I don't know but fighting here won't bring anything.

PEACE
Download & play soothing music: https://soundcloud.com/wait_codec

NystagmusE wrote:I actually use the 32-bit Windows version because for some odd reason it's more stable than the Linux version and I like having VST's.
Ditto. It's amazing how bad Linux audio is. Linux support was the main reason I bought eXT. It's strange that the native Linux version of eXT is practically useless but still better than all the other GNU audio software. I still use eXT regularly, in WINE because I have a collection of old VSTs I haven't found a suitable replacement for. Also, eXT is my main MIDI sequencer for outboard gear because it works so great.

djvision wrote:...
Also, eXT is my main MIDI sequencer for outboard gear because it works so great.
Are you using the built-in MIDI Out or any other MIDIOut VST like InsertPizHere's MIDIOut?
Also could you please do me a favor and check if energyXT's built-in MIDIOut component really is not available on Linux, as it states on the energyXT wikidot site ('http://energyxt2.wikidot.com/midi-output-vst-plugins')?
I'm trying to keep the energyXT wikidot site up to date, that's why I'm asking...
Thanks,
Patrik

ZonderP wrote:...could you please do me a favor and check if energyXT's built-in MIDIOut component really is not available on Linux, as it states on the energyXT wikidot site?
I use the Windows version of eXT on Linux through the WINE framework. It correctly identifies external MIDI devices for use. However, the native Linux version of eXT does not have MIDI support. This is a problem with eXT's incomplete integration with JACK, a low-latency service similar to ASIO.

@djvision
Thank you!

I'm not so sure about that.
I tried MIDI with the Linux eXT and I think it worked if I remember correctly. But I don't use JACK, I use PulseAudio with edited settings for slightly better performance. Anyways I think MIDI is implemented by ALSA, separate from PulseAudio.

The downside, was that I have a lot of Windows VST(i)'s and I don't think they can be loaded with the Linux version.
So I use the Windows version of eXT instead (with Wine). And that works alright.

I vaguely remember some kind of soundcard/sound issue I had with the Linux version, but I forget what it was now.
Maybe I'll redownload the Linux version again just to test this.
Download & play soothing music: https://soundcloud.com/wait_codec

NystagmusE wrote:Anyways I think MIDI is implemented by ALSA, separate from PulseAudio.
Correct, PulseAudio has nothing to do with MIDI. It sits on top of the ALSA layer.

That said, good luck getting MIDI to work even without JACK (which is required for audio recording). I have tried several MIDI devices and selecting any of them cause eXT to crash immediately. If you know a secret to using MIDI on native Linux, please share. (Maybe on 32-bit machines?) I would love eXT to have better ALSA support because JACK is too much trouble for little benefit, though I believe development is leaning toward JACK. (Note: eXT's JACK support is broken on 64-bit machines. There is a hacked version of libaam.so out there but I was never able to get it working.)
NystagmusE wrote:The downside, was that I have a lot of Windows VST(i)'s and I don't think they can be loaded with the Linux version.
No Windows VSTs can be loaded into the Linux version of eXT. The native version only supports a very limited number of .SO files (MDA, TAL, freeverb).

I use energy XT 2.7 regularly, not for real professional work but for my amateur work. I do use it extensively nevertheless. It is great with some limitations as any DAW. For the price it is more than great!

To comment on the topic of this thread I would start with "Life is 10% about what happens to you and 90% about your attitude about it". And it seems we have two extremes of the attitude here in this forum sometimes :wink: . I would just suggest that we are less judgemental about developer's efforts and maybe discuss how usage can be better, enjoyed, and difficulties worked around if not really fixed.

The tip's and tricks topic is a good way to do this. We could implement it in the Wiki (http://energyxt2.wikidot.com/) maybe to give it more structure and functionality?

In general I am missing a better user community site - is this one still alive http://ww1.xt-user.com/? We need a place where tracks, sounds and tools can be exchanged, so a file repository. Building the community might be more important than the SW itself.

And of course, as many of you were saying already, we would like to help the development of the SW. The Energy XT is a uniquely great piece of SW in so many aspects that could be even much more successful commercially if properly supported. One man simply cannot do it, I assume. But, what can be done?

I have already read once a suggestion that it could be changed to the Open Source model, for other developers to do parts of work. The model also supports the idea of "bounties", where some new functionalities gets assigned a reward collected upfront for any developer to receive if they take over the job and complete it. Using that principle the community might also finance speedier development, maybe ...

What else? These questions were also asked about legendary Synth1, somehow it is similar to eXT, isn't it?

why not one? there are a great amount of notable feats that have been accomplished by one individual. the logistics of sharing intent between individuals seems more of an impediment imo.

as for a constructive eXT community, what i would relate to you, as a developer of over a dozen years here, is that "this industry entertains a diversity of interests" and as such is competitive.

by competitive, i mean, not so much like a game of scrabble, but the way eg. in west papua the indonesians are still taking out advocates using lame underhanded methods like poison, slaying family members, and such. at least as long as nobody who can bomb them notices.

enjoy your software using time!
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Just an update on the state of Linux + JACK + MIDI. Apparently there is a plugin that can connect hosts to JACK MIDI even when the program doesn't allow you to natively.

https://github.com/falkTX/JackAss#readme

I have not tried it, but it is on my list of things to do this year.

Return to “energyXT”