secret meaning of 44.1kHz

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote:i'm sure you've heard the excuses but still in your heart wonder why. now you will really know.

why 44100?

44100 / 10*10 = 441

that's 441 samples for one hundredth of a second of audio at 44.1k. please note that 10 is one of the most ancient numbers. And we squared it, because squaring things, or finding square roots 'means' something, obviously.

Well the square root of 441 just happens to be a number you can derive from some other numbers in some way, because deriving numbers in some way means something too. And like any number you can derive, there's the usual numerological hodgepodge of dubious significances ie in this instance for the number 21 there's the usual shitload : http://www.ridingthebeast.com/numbers/nu21.php,

(But wait, there's more to pull out of it by buggering around with it in some allegedly 'significant' way. So that's just the starting point because 21 is the sequence (2,1) , so that's 1 and 2 which are significant and 1+2 = 3 so we've got all the significances for 3 as well, but 21/3 is 7, so we throw in the stuff for 7, and blah blah blah an endless cascade of apophenia in action.)

Lookie ma, I can do numerology.
:lol:

Highway 23 would be a partial then. :)
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

"the lowest limit in enumeration among primitive peoples is among the yancos, an amazon tribe who cannot count beyond poettarrarorincoaroac, which is their word for "three"".

and not their word for "this white guy holding his fingers out is novelty and all but now i think about it i'd rather load another bowl huh".

it's amazing that enumeration can get so low, but it's nice to know there's a limit!
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Invert the first 3 digits, add a null digit at the end and you certainly get a number that has great significance in several religions... :clap:

Tada!

And now if we substract 44.100 from the the number we've just found and then remove the last two null digits to then rotate this result by 180 degree we get another number that is highly significant in several religions and occult beliefs... :clap:

Tada!

:o

that must be why i prefer 48000... 420Hz is tuned down too far for my music...

44100 is a bit more than 42560,
which is a nice number.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/44,100_Hz
Yeah, I know reality is boring 8)

just curious...which came first the term 420 or 44.1khz for digital? I found sources that sya both were the late 70's and it seems 420 was a police call for someone smoking weed. High times claims 420 was started by the [iwaldos[/i] in the early 70s.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Doug1978 wrote: Besides, 4 is not as ancient (or indeed magic) a number as 3.
4 is actually more magic than 3. Unfortunately the fact that 3 had it's own song on Schoolhouse Rock does overshadow the magic of 4.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

mumpcake wrote:4 is actually more magic than 3. Unfortunately the fact that 3 had it's own song on Schoolhouse Rock does overshadow the magic of 4.
3 + 4 = lucky seven sampson
3 × 4 = little twelve toes

I thought 4 was unlucky in Japan as it's pronounced the same as 'death'.

So all this audio stuff is built on death... eh?

GaryG wrote:I thought 4 was unlucky in Japan as it's pronounced the same as 'death'.

So all this audio stuff is built on death... eh?
Oh yes it is. Death and cats. Now you know the truthest of all true truths.

xoxos wrote:"the lowest limit in enumeration among primitive peoples is among the yancos, an amazon tribe who cannot count beyond poettarrarorincoaroac, which is their word for "three"".

and not their word for "this white guy holding his fingers out is novelty and all but now i think about it i'd rather load another bowl huh".

it's amazing that enumeration can get so low, but it's nice to know there's a limit!
I see your limit and raise (well, lower) you by one. Check out Pirahã - a language still in use with no known connection to any other living languages: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirah%C3%A3_language
According to Everett in 1986, Pirahã has words for 'one' (hói) and 'two' (hoí), distinguished only by tone. In his 2005 analysis, however, Everett said that Pirahã has no words for numerals at all, and that hói and hoí actually mean "small quantity" and "larger quantity". Frank et al. (2008) describes two experiments on four Pirahã speakers that were designed to test these two hypotheses. In one, ten batteries were placed on a table one at a time and the Pirahã were asked how many were there. All four speakers answered in accordance with the hypothesis that the language has words for 'one' and 'two' in this experiment, uniformly using hói for one battery, hoí for two batteries, and a mixture of the second word and 'many' for more than two batteries.

The second experiment, however, started with ten batteries on the table, and batteries were subtracted one at a time. In this experiment, one speaker used hói (the word previously supposed to mean 'one') when there were six batteries left, and all four speakers used that word consistently when there were as many as three batteries left. Though Frank and his colleagues do not attempt to explain their subjects' difference in behavior in these two experiments, they conclude that the two words under investigation "are much more likely to be relative or comparative terms like 'few' or 'fewer' than absolute terms like 'one' ".

There is no grammatical distinction between singular and plural, even in pronouns.
Being concerned that, because of this cultural gap, they were being cheated in trade, the Pirahã people asked Daniel Everett, a linguist who was working with them, to teach them basic numeracy skills. After eight months of enthusiastic but fruitless daily study with Everett, the Pirahã concluded that they were incapable of learning the material and discontinued the lessons. Not a single Pirahã had learned to count up to ten or even to add 1 + 1

In 2004, Everett discovered that the language uses a voiceless bilabially post-trilled dental stop, [t͡ʙ̥]. He conjectures that the Pirahã had not used that phone in his presence before because they were ridiculed whenever non-Pirahã heard the sound. :lol:
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote: please note that 4 is one of the most ancient numbers.

First used on ancient golf courses, no doubt...

If you like it, you should 44.1k it.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”