Are you from a musical family?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was posting over in the Swing thread about Elvin Jones and was remembering that, unlike some of us, he came from a musical family: his younger brother was trumpeter Thad Jones who played with the Count Basie Band for years and then formed the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Band; and his older brother is pianist Hank Jones who is in his late 80s and has had a long distinguished career in jazz.

So, are you from a musical family, professional or otherwise?

no
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:no
+1, in fact my family hates my music. It's just "electro-noise to them"... :(

my dad's dad, gay, played the violin. my dad played harp until he believed it was gay. he then ran away from home at 14. 2 years later he faked his age and signed up as a marine just in time for ww2. he never understood my need to make music. he did help me out by buyin equipment

my mother is (was?) an evil jet setter. She sang loudly in church. her son, my half brother, is (was?) a coke head, drunken, fast drivin, gold cardin, producer / musician, and new age freak. last time i saw him, he was still feelin very superior even on the crutches his drinkin got him
"Most people who experiment with drugs are not lying in the streets, suffocating on their own vomit. If you want to see some of that, go to the Pub on Saturday night at closing time." ozwest

No.

My grandfather could play a keyboard with a stick that had a protrusion for the bass note, and three for minor chords and three for major chords. Sort of like this but simpler. Image
That's it.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

btw, gay was married to fannie. they were a couple of hospice hippies. my dad couldn't stand them
"Most people who experiment with drugs are not lying in the streets, suffocating on their own vomit. If you want to see some of that, go to the Pub on Saturday night at closing time." ozwest

My Grandfather had the same agent as Benny Goodman; was the number two man, right behind Benny. In fact, Gene Krupa was one of his best friends...used to see him at the house. My Grandfather played for 50+ years as a player/bandleader and would fill local dance halls and play to pretty large crowds (i.e. 10,000+) at least once a year. 8)

G&L_player wrote:My Grandfather had the same agent as Benny Goodman; was the number two man, right behind Benny. In fact, Gene Krupa was one of his best friends...used to see him at the house. My Grandfather played for 50+ years as a player/bandleader and would fill local dance halls and play to pretty large crowds (i.e. 10,000+) at least once a year. 8)
Nice. Any chance your grandfather might have gotten to know Charlie Christian?

rp314 wrote:
G&L_player wrote:My Grandfather had the same agent as Benny Goodman; was the number two man, right behind Benny. In fact, Gene Krupa was one of his best friends...used to see him at the house. My Grandfather played for 50+ years as a player/bandleader and would fill local dance halls and play to pretty large crowds (i.e. 10,000+) at least once a year. 8)
Nice. Any chance your grandfather might have gotten to know Charlie Christian?
...not to my knowledge. He knew a lot of reed and brass players...kinda of a who's who thing (i.e. top cats). He also kept in touch with other band leaders (e.g. Myren Floren). (After all, he was a pro for 50 years.) Honestly, I'm not sure who he knew beyond a few of the more well-knowns. Mr Krupa would hang with him quite a bit; sit in with the band, so he comes to mind.

no

Mum plays piano. Dad, maternal aunt and sister play cello. All pro except my sister (who could have been but chose to do other things instead)

Yes. From all sides. My great uncle on my mothers side played with Hank Williams. When I was maybe 8 he made me sing him a song and he gave me a dollar, telling me "Now you're a professional. Always get paid boy". It's a great memory. One of my uncles even though blind was one of the most revered piano tuners in the tri-state area. He could flat burn up the keys with some smokin' boogie-woogie.

When I was 12-14 we had a real band of all cousins. Three guitars bass and drums. We used to honky-tonk for $100 bucks a night on weekends doing Buck Owens and Johnny Cash covers. I'd toss in some Little Richard and early Beatles. Creedence was a big hit. I never got busted for being under age and the cops used to come in all the time.

The church across the street had requested that we not use the PA until after services, so we used to sit on the front porch to do Sunday morning picking and grinnin' on acoustics. Grandmother would dance the jig and uncle Cecil would drum on an empty shoe box. It was great. :)

On the other side one cousin played in a pretty big regional band long before I was old enough to do anything like that. His twin sisters were beauty queens, one of the talents was singing. They did one of those double mint ads. His dad played some mean Chet Atkins.

Actually there's lots more. Seems like everybody played something. Even grandmother could play some piano and guitar. Did I ever tell you guys how lucky I am?

my gf plays the sax and clarinet, but only plays during rehearsal and concert. however, when i told her i was having trouble playing the spoons, she showed me how it's done. busted! i'm forcing her to be a part of my ukulele act.

my 6 yr old daughter and i jam. she's good at keyboard and likes techno. she also likes to jam the blues with wmidi

Yes. My dad played guitar intil he had kids and then got a "real" job. My brother lives above a bar he plays guitar at, I've got two cousins touring in bands right now, My mom's always been part of a choir before she had some health issues...there's more but I can't remember.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”