Are you from a musical family?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ja.x wrote:No. But my younger sister is a piano teacher, and my son (who is also a kvr member) plays in a metal band, so maybe I'm starting a tradition :hihi: .
Who's your son then?

Dad's a retired professor with Ph. D. in Musicology, mom's recently retired as university lecturer in same, sister studying it at uni now.
Last edited by krank on Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not to my knowledge.I asked my gran and she said there was nobody and she would know :shrug:
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

we had a piano in the house and I remember my mom playing only one song. it was a pretty complicated song, so it was odd to me she'd only play that one.
she sent my brothers and I off to piano lessons, but only my older brother stuck with them. I quit after a year(idiot)
my older brother married into a family of church singers and piano players. one of his daughters took a music degree and leads choirs.
my dad had one of the worst singing voices i've ever heard and no ability whatsoever to carry a tune.
when my younger brother and i started a neighborhood band in high school (drums and bass and neighbor kids on guitar) my parents were surprisingly supportive buying us cheap but decent equipment and putting up with some really bad playing and letting us know when we were sounding better -- must have been a great relief to them -- even sounding decent they put up with a lot of noise in the house

My uncle sings for a living, but other than that no. well, except my brother, he does computer music too.

duncanparsons wrote:
Ja.x wrote:No. But my younger sister is a piano teacher, and my son (who is also a kvr member) plays in a metal band, so maybe I'm starting a tradition :hihi: .
Who's your son then?
Lobotomy. Not much of a poster but had actually more than 1 post (deleted ones). You can find him at this thread: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... c&start=75
Eventually something intelligent will appear written here. Watch this space.

My dad was a bass player in various country and rock bands for many years. I've been meaning to put his 1973 album back up online, but I haven't got around to it yet.

Yes... My father and uncle are great guitarists. My mother and aunts are great piano players. My mom and ger sisters (when younger) were a gospel group called "The Tolbert Sisters". And they have opened up for the likes of...wait for it... "The Oak Ridge Boys".

My great-gran and great aunt were chorus girls!

Does that count?
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

My mom and her mom both took piano lessons, but weren't really accomplished players. My dad is as non-musical as they come -- but he had a bunch of 8-tracks of Tomita and Synergy and (at the time) Walter Carlos.

Had an excellent, awesome music teacher in elementary school who, along with those 8-tracks, inspired me. I was composing ditties in 2nd grade. Years later after she'd gotten married, divorced and remarried and I was a senior in high school, she was my violin instructor.

Now of course my parents think my music is either just plain weird, or some cross between movie soundtracks and (wtf?) hip-hop.

Ja.x wrote:
duncanparsons wrote:
Who's your son then?
Lobotomy. Not much of a poster but had actually more than 1 post (deleted ones). You can find him at this thread: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... c&start=75
my son is here too (rarely)...he has FL, but he doesn't do much music.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Yes, though in my immediate family there was a bit of hit-and-miss.

My grandfather on my mother's side played several instruments and supposedly had a reputation for being able to pick up an instrument he never touched before and figure out how to play it in a few minutes, something I've been told I managed to somehow inherit.

Both of my parents used to sing a lot in various choral groups and had/have wonderful voices, with my father in particular being a long-time member of SPEBSQSA, a society devoted to preservation/encouragement of barebershop quartet singing and used to sing annual shows at Philadelphia's Academy of Music.

My first formal piano training was with my uncle (my mother's brother), who encouraged creativity in conjunction with learning playing skills (something usually unheard of with traditional classical training).

There are quite a few other musicians and singers in my family, with the balance being probably more towards the singers (family get-togethers and BBQ's years ago used to almost always have big folkie sing-alongs with someone on the piano or guitar), though there are also some guitarists and piano players amongst my cousins.

As for the hit and miss in my immediate family: that would be my older brother and sister. Both of them tried again and again with music lessons and eventually gave up. My parents bought a piano for my older sister to take lessons on, but she never really paid much attention and finally gave up, with me eventually "inheriting" it at age 7 when I started my own lessons (the piano still has my teeth-marks in it, from when I was a toddler and apparently decided at one point to really sink my teeth into the piano. :hihi:).
My older brother at first tried learning when he was in his teens drums by buying a snare and taking lessons, and gave up on that pretty quickly. After that, he noticed the cool looking Mosrite electric guitars on the back of one of his Ventures albums, bought one and took lessons for a while on that, and quickly gave up and sold it. I wound up inheriting his collection of Ventures and Sandals albums (which gave rise to my love of surf music :D), but I wish to hell he hadn't sold that beautiful Mosrite... :bang:

Both my parents encouraged me with my music throughout the years and my father still does (I had him "beta test" my new ambient CD before I released it, which he says helps him to relax), though my mother always said she regretted forcing me to take piano lessons and not quit when I wanted to early on - if she hadn't, then maybe I would've gone on to college after high school instead of playing in bands, and grown up to be the doctor who finds the cure for cancer like she always hoped. ;)

My son (from my previous marriage) apparently has got a little of it in his blood as well: he plays some trumpet with the school orchestra and started with some guitar lessons last year, though he seems to have since lost interest in that recently.

My wife's a bit of a musician as well when she feels up to it (she plays flute and some woodwinds, though hasn't seriously in years), and has always been completely supportive of my music efforts. We both enjoy the same kinds of music as well, which makes life even more enjoyable. :D

I play piano, sister 1 plays french horn, sister 2 plays flute, mother plays violin and bassoon, father plays didjeridu. It was quite a noisy house for a time.

Two of my sisters sing & have worked with a few local producers (dance music type stuff).
My little brother studied music tech, has a band & does engineering etc. down in Brighton.

Lunch Money wrote:My dad was a bass player in various country and rock bands for many years. I've been meaning to put his 1973 album back up online, but I haven't got around to it yet.
Now that I would love to hear! Was it an Ottawa country/rock band?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”