Are you from a musical family?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For real, complain about music education and i'm with ya, complain about a children's reed organ and my empathy stops right there.

I got two similar ones at yard sales, they're fun instruments. You're still mixing stuff up that isn't actually connected. Just like i did by hating on piano cause i hated the forced lessons.
Other people made you hate music as a kid, and you channeled all dat hate into your innocent bontempi organ. Stop it rite nao u brute!! :x :lol:

Looking back it now though, "B3" probably just adds to the injury.

:P

Huh, Bontempi B3 fans here? :-o

If I would have got a Juno 106 instead, I might have had some fun...but Bontempi B3 always sounded like a night in the church, and Bontempi had just released it (new) when I got it...

Stop letting your past dictate your present. You are an adult now.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote:Stop letting your past dictate your present. You are an adult now.
The thread title is "Are you from a musical family?", so I have to assume it's about the past... :shrug:

tapper mike wrote:Stop letting your past dictate your present. You are an adult now.
Tru, but always easier to spot in others than oneself, innit? :)

I wouldn't say I was from a musical family particularly, or at least I don't know of much. My maternal grandfather played piano, and my dad sang and whistled songs all the time, but more than anything else I think I come from a family of music listeners.

Growing up I heard a lot of different stuff. My father liked a lot of 50s and early 60s music that I heard a lot of - the Everly Brothers, Elvis, Buddy Holly, Guy Mitchell, Connie Francis, come to mind. My mother has always listened to just about anything - I remember she had a collection of old rockabilly 78s that we eventually couldn't play, but she would always put the radio on, every single day. Probably one of the biggest influences when I was very young was one of my mom's younger sisters - she had a collection of lots of soul records, and was a big fan of the Beatles and the Kinks.

I've always loved music and think that there's such a huge range of music to discover, both recent and throughout the history of recorded music. I play instruments too, but both sides of things are important to me.

I would also like to go on record and blame my tools for making me a subpar musician. :troll:

Thanks for this thread as it gives me a chance to remember and my father. My dad was a really excellent fellow. Very much the social player. 5ootball halfback, Petite Theater lifelong member and actor. Also he played ukulele. But no we were not a musical family in any professional sense.

But my dad did get the family together each year and we would make country instruments out of washboards and washtubs and ukeleles and we would sing old stuff from that era including Mitch Miller sing-alongs and whatnot.

I know that much of the value I place on music I derived from the sense of unison amongst my family during those country band spells; comes from times of the happy period of my family before my dad died.

Later, even though my mom supported the idea of me playing guitar, I had no motivation, and it wasn't until 30 years later that I picked it up for real and started studying digital music production.

debra1rlo wrote:I would also like to go on record and blame my tools for making me a subpar musician. :troll:
That's no way to talk about other band members...

robojam wrote:
debra1rlo wrote:I would also like to go on record and blame my tools for making me a subpar musician. :troll:
:hihi: well it had to be said :P

debra1rlo wrote:
robojam wrote:
:hihi: well it had to be said :P
:hihi:

My greatgrandfather was the village fiddler and also played hammered dulcimer. Made his own instruments, too. My grandfather didn't play anything, but wanted me to take up music when I was a kid so I'd always be able to earn a living in times of drought and famine.

Times sure have changed.

DSmolken wrote:My greatgrandfather was the village fiddler
You might want to rephrase that, as this man had the same title...

:o :help:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”