Are you from a musical family?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

my mum was a piano and my dad was a bellend.

Definitely :)

My great-great aunt on my mom's side was married to the first concertmaster of the Minneapolis Symphony (now the Minnesota Orchestra). She played piano and anything with strings and taught mandolin, guitar and piano. When she died at 95, she still had twenty guitar students a week.

My mom sang and played piano in clubs until my older sister was born. My older sister's been a choir director off and on since she was in high school, and both my older and twin sisters took piano and voice lessons for a number of years.

Me? The only formal lessons I've ever had was with drums :oops: :lol:

ew
A spectral heretic...

hmm, my sister played the piano, and there are some composers in my mother's family but that's about it.

k

not a huge deal. sister played flute and a lil' guitar (thats a little bit of guitar, not a little guitar...)

My mom and one of my aunts do not play music. Possibly some of my cousins don't either, but those I'm in contact with do. :)

My great grandfather was Sidney Jones, a big commercial success, but now largely forgotten.

All my 4 brothers and I have played instruments - more competent busking than technical expertise, and my sister was a dancer which is almost the same and she married a pianist. But my parents didn't play at all, they just encouraged us and anyone else they knew - it was as if it was their job to do so, and included actors and artists too. Sometimes saying "just do it" to others is a reward in itself.

Steve

Yes
Grandmother was a professional classical piano player as was my mother.

Well my dad was a piano mover, so..

No, not really...
You must go back a few generations to find a musician in my family

Yes
a whole family of bagpipe players
I needed years of therapy and eventually had to turn to drugs

I don't think any of my grandparents played anything, though I'm not sure, but my entire family does.
My brother lives off playing music, mainly guitar but also lots of other instruments: piano, contrabass, electric bass, drums, mouth harp, singing, cowbells etc. Highly motivating, and he got me into all sorts of wonderful music and still does, where i would otherwise have drowned in the shades of mainstream.
My sister sings, plays guitar and she used to play the flute and saxophone, she's currently playing in a band. My mother can play the piano, guitar and sing. My father plays guitar. Both my parents rarely play anymore though, they did when they were young, and my mother played a lot of piano when i grew up. My father usually runs the stereo now, playing mostly classical and jazz.

Cowbell dynasties...would be interesting to hear if they really exist.
Last edited by Seus Hawkins on Tue May 01, 2007 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My childhood wasn't very happy.... My father drank and my mother ate :hihi: Just kidding ;-)

My grandfather played piano at home and chello in a philharmonical orchestra. His wife played a bit of violin. Most folks in my family except my a-musical dad do play an instrument. A nephew even graduated as a performing pianist at conservatory (but made carreer in computer programming instead)
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

No. But my younger sister is a piano teacher, and my son (who is also a kvr member) plays in a metal band, so maybe I'm starting a tradition :hihi: .
Eventually something intelligent will appear written here. Watch this space.

A friend of my sister was the daughter of a piano teacher, so she thought that it was standard for every family to have a piano or organ in the house because in her enviroment everybody had one.

At highschool she got the wake-up call: she was very surprised to find the majority of people living quite happily without a piano :shock:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

My dad plays da blooos; his Mum and 3 of his 4 brothers play the piano [in a musical box kinda way - very straight and slow down towards the end! nah, just the notes with little life]

Mum's side? not that I've ever heard.

My brother toyed with a guitar, learing to play 'Crazy
little thing called love', and now sings occasionally in pub bands.

I'm a drummer by profession ['I profess that I am a drummer'], self taught apart from a lesson from Bill Bruford. I have taught a fair bit, but do more VST programming than making music just now.

I also play piano/organ, and a little guitar [it's a mandolin...:hihi:]

DSP

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”