Are you from a musical family?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

nasenmann wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:I always thought most musicians were coming from musical families, played piano with 5, drums with 8, guitar with 10 and got Fruity Loops Producer Edition donated with 11 including a collection of dozens of hardware synths from their Dad's studio whilst Daddy was working as lead guitarist and Mum as a chanson singer... :lol:

Glad to see so many people with non-musical parents... :tu:
That said though, there's a bit of a difference between parents who don't happen to play an instrument, or have limited interest in music, and parents who verifiably have close to zero sense for rhythm, melody, or anything connected to music.

I suspect in the latter case (rare enough anyway), prodigies are a rare thing indeed.
are you saying it's nature or nurture? I have a different perspective because I was adopted at birth. (hence my one word answer when this thread was first started). I have lived a whole life of not looking like my family (until I had a son), not filling out family historys at doctors and such, so I have no idea if it's in my blood (I also have no idea if heart disasease, cancer or anything else is in my family history), but as for my family

My dad couldn't carry a tune if it had handle, a strap and casters

My maternal grandfather had his own 'big band' back in the day and he played clarinet. (Chick Newell and the Pennsylvanians was the name) In fact my grandfather's sister was my cousin Rob's grandmother, besides being an engineer and producer Rob plays bass and I think sax.

My mother is one of those who has to sing or hum to everything and I guess my grandad did a record she sang some on but no one besides my mother has heard it. My mother has a pretty voice.

My late sister (not biological but also she was adopted) played clarinet in grade school and jr high. She also played guitar when she was very young, at age 10 she would charge kids in the neighborhood 50 cents an hour to learn to play songs like "Down in the Valley", "Jimmy Crack Corn", "Skip to My Loo" but she stopped by the time she was 12. She was 2 1/2 years older than me and when I was eight I would play her guitar and she taught me the basics but I never consider my playing to have started until I was 12 and was serious.

I started with trumpet when I was 9 or 10 and stuck with it through Jr High (barely) and my parents believed it seems that because I did not take the trumpet seriously I would not take the guitar seriously. So this has been an uphill battle all my life, sure they bought me my first guitars and dad and I built an amp, still as years went on they didn't understand my music so it was not valid. (dad would say "it has a good beat")

Flash ahead 1/4 century, my mother tells me about how my cousin is doing in California and suggests I send him a tape of my music in what I think was an attempt to get me off the music path once and for all...but it didn't, in fact he did understand my music.

So imo it's a nature thing all the way, despite a lot of discouragement from people who did not understand and who I trusted and loved more than anything my passion still persevered. The question I will never have the answer for his did this help me or hinder me, when I was young I thought it hurt me but as I grow older and my passion deepens I wonder if really they were doing me a favor :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I consciously evaded the nature nurture question, hink. :)

I'm sure we do arrive here with a nature of our own, and i personally believe the genes are more of a physical reflection of that nature, not the complete equation. See, once i go into this topic, i kinda have to come out with some spiritual notions of mine, which i don't wanna do in every damn thread!

I think nurture is very important too. Nurture always contains some aspects of malnutrition as well - in your case the resistance and ignorance of your parents regarding your musical nature. It's something you went through, and while being difficult, it has broadened your perspective.

Nature and nurture give us set and setting, then we decide for ourselves.

The difference i pointed out in my first post cannot be easily aligned with the nature/nurture question - it seems much more complex. Maybe i'll find some words on it later, but thinking about it is giving me a headache right now ;)

nasenmann wrote:The difference i pointed out in my first post cannot be easily aligned with the nature/nurture question - it seems much more complex. Maybe i'll find some words on it later, but thinking about it is giving me a headache right now ;)
I can relate :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

yes one of my uncles is an elvis impersonator.

Yes.

Both my mother, father and all their siblings learnt to play piano and other instruments as kids. My parents are admittedly a bit shit at piano these days, but they are in several choirs. Everyone in the immediate family thus has some sort of musical skills and my mother encouraged me to learn instruments from a very early age.

My mum's brother was a professional church organist, and 1 of his kids is an actress who also takes on roles in musicals. All three of his kids are enthusiastic singers and also play various instruments. My dad's cousin (I think) used to build analog synthesizers, and there's also a semi-successful singer on his side of the family that I've never met who had a fully fledged career as a perfoming artist. One of my dad's brother is a deft hand at the guitar as well as the piano, although only as a hobby.

Several girlfriends have commented on how at my parent's place you'll often hear someone sporadically burst into song for no apparent reason :)

I think it's a definite advantage to be in an environment where musical creativity is encouraged at an early age.

I think the meaning of "encourage" is important to get right here.

In the sense of what you say about your family, it is perfect. People around you just breathing music, and conveying their enjoyment of it to you.
In the sense of the piano lessons i got at age 8, for example, the "encouragement" was a double edged sword. Took a decade to get over my dislike for the instrument after that...wrong teacher. Maybe wrong time too.

The most general way to put it is: it helps a lot if parents understand some of the principles of creativity. How important freedom is, how important it is to not distort and hamper the child's natural sense of enjoyment, by projecting too much expectation and opinion on them.

No other musicians in my family ... my kids have shown no interest either, although they are music lovers. My parents had a hifi and a record collection when I was growing up, so there was always music being played. I was a late starter ... learnt to play guitar when I was 26. Still plugging away ...

The worst "encouragement" I had in my life was the subject "Music" at school. It rather encouraged me NOT to make music - it was only theory with tons of worksheets with strange musical signs. We never touched any musical instrument, I didn't even know how many different pianos and guitars are out there...

Our school choir couldn't encourage me either - most times we sang carols or boring pop stuff like "My Bunny Is Over The Ocean". I still HATE carols, I cannot repeat it enough... :x

I really lost my love for music for many years, my old Bontempi home organ was at the dumping ground, and I went into journalism, literature and poetry. Only more than a decade later I re-discovered my love for music, and it will be my last (love)... :wink:

Music of the future and music of the past?

Tricky-Loops wrote:The worst "encouragement" I had in my life was the subject "Music" at school. It rather encouraged me NOT to make music - it was only theory with tons of worksheets with strange musical signs. We never touched any musical instrument...
That's terrible. I had a fantastic music teacher when I was young. We sang, but we also did a lot of group rhythm stuff (often in a game-like setting) and played a variety of mallet percussion and soprano and alto recorders; we even had contests to compose music. Even aside from music itself, she was one of the most inspiring and caring teachers I've ever had.

She honestly gets more credit than my family for my strong interest in music when I was a child.

We didn't even learn how to compose a single phrase or how to make a simple rhythm... It was all about analyzing, not about composing. Maybe it would have been more practice-related at an university but I couldn't go to an university, alas...

We didn't talk about synthesizers, either, although there were already many synthesizers in the 80ies.

I didn't learn how to make music in the subject "Music" at school, it was the most boring subject... :x

It was when I found the D-Lusion Drum Station in the Interwebz that I finally realized I could make dope beats! (And there wasn't any Dub Turbo yet... :lol:). Finally I - who never learned to use any real drum kit - could make beats and even whole songs! Now that encouraged me to go deeper into computer-based music production.

But when I had my AMIGA 500 in 1990, I didn't even know that I could compose songs with it, I still thought for composing songs you'd need a huge piano or a rock guitar, nobody showed me trackers back then... But I never liked guitar, they either sounded boring to me or overly distorted - I wanted to have a synthesizer but I never could afford one... :cry:

And this Bontempi home organ that I played in my childhood - I cannot describe how I HATED this organ sound, it always sounded like a (church) service, they should have called it Maltempi... :o

This one encouraged me more than my family and school teachers: :tu:

OMFG, I had this one when I was 8, it sounded so crappy... :x :cry: :bang: :-o :tantrum:

You've been complaining about that so long and so often and you never mentioned it was a reed organ! Like a melodica with a engine humming in there! That's epic I tell you, I hope you never got rid of it. Own buttons for sweetly purring chords, come on, you can't hate that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqGCbWozcwY

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”