Too Much 303 Bass

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ambisphere wrote:Greetings,

303 Bass has been established as the industry standard in Trance music, especially PsyTrance. The reason for this is because it's higher frequencies (or tones) allows a bassline to cut through a mix at higher BPM's, where slower resonating bass frequencies "don't cut it". However, hearing this familiar bass sound over and over again from various artists becomes tiring and redundant. But it doesn't have to be this way. The answer lies in simply changing the waveform with different tracks, the 303 utilizes the Saw waveform, however, simply changing to a Square waveform for example with an alternative bass VSTi, yet within the same frequency range, would help break this production monotony.

Thank you for any suggestions or insights you may have concerning this. :wink:
you could say the same about 95% of the sounds in those genres...thats kinda what defines it as that genre....

'woah, im so sick of distorted guitars in heavy metal music, why dont they just use a phaser...'

Ambisphere wrote: The answer lies in simply changing the waveform with different tracks, the 303 utilizes the Saw waveform
Every 303(and 303 clones) have a square waveform also. Are you sure you know what a TB303 sounds like ?

Ambisphere wrote:
yellowfever wrote:You could always just use a different synth and stick 2 fingers to the norm? :-o :wink:
I believe that I had already stated that in the original post...
Well you need to rephrase your OP then, because I thought I understand what you was saying, but obviously not. The more I read it, the more I don't understand what you're saying then. Or are you just having a general moan?? :?

djanthonyw wrote:but if anything came up where I wanted the "303 sound" you can do it with pretty much any synth.
No, there are some very typical things about the 303 sound that can not be recreated with "pretty much any synth".

303 != sawtooth + generic 24dB LPF.

For one, you miss the 303's unique glide and the weird implementation of the accent; and then there are the distinct non-linearities and other quirks in the filter implementation (e.g. HPF and waveshapers are needed inside the LPF).

Here is a 63-page thread of people trying to figure out how to recreate the real 303 sound, so it's not that trivial:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=262829

I do agree that the 303 sound is getting a bit stale though :P

I didn't say you could get the sound perfect, but you can get the general sound with any subtractive synth.
You are currently reading my signature.

djanthonyw wrote:I didn't say you could get the sound perfect, but you can get the general sound with any subtractive synth.
true, and in a mix you would be pushed to tell the diff, especially with FX on a 303 type sound (and its never used dry...)

SampleScience wrote:For me it's like complaining because you always hear pianos in classical music & guitars in rocks tunes. Each genre have it's stample sound.
:tu:

and in the current phase of trance to be honest I can't tell what artists writes what songs in the genre, they all seem to use very similar patches and arpeggios but people say that about heavy metal too so I could be wrong.

Acid Mitch wrote:
Ambisphere wrote: The answer lies in simply changing the waveform with different tracks, the 303 utilizes the Saw waveform
Every 303(and 303 clones) have a square waveform also. Are you sure you know what a TB303 sounds like ?
+1 my first thought
noise and beats: Negutyv Xeiro do people actually click these?
gearlust: Roland JP-8000, too much/not enough eurorack
machinecode by: u-he, Bitwig, Fabfilter, NI, et al

I'm so sick of flutes in peruvian pan flute bands.
'The science of rich men does not elevate all mankind, but only themselves.'
sound cloud

ckatrun411 wrote:
Ambisphere wrote:Greetings,

303 Bass has been established as the industry standard in Trance music, especially PsyTrance. The reason for this is because it's higher frequencies (or tones) allows a bassline to cut through a mix at higher BPM's, where slower resonating bass frequencies "don't cut it". However, hearing this familiar bass sound over and over again from various artists becomes tiring and redundant. But it doesn't have to be this way. The answer lies in simply changing the waveform with different tracks, the 303 utilizes the Saw waveform, however, simply changing to a Square waveform for example with an alternative bass VSTi, yet within the same frequency range, would help break this production monotony.

Thank you for any suggestions or insights you may have concerning this. :wink:

Why don't you just drop more x and mind your own business...
Vampire Alert! Vampire Alert! heheheh

yellowfever wrote:
Ambisphere wrote:
yellowfever wrote:You could always just use a different synth and stick 2 fingers to the norm? :-o :wink:
I believe that I had already stated that in the original post...
Well you need to rephrase your OP then, because I thought I understand what you was saying, but obviously not. The more I read it, the more I don't understand what you're saying then. Or are you just having a general moan?? :?
After reading your posts, I have to admit that I have gained a better understanding of bass and/or LFO waveforms. Thanks for that.

If I were to reiterate my post, I would simply state that I am weary of artists that use basic square waveforms in their compositions. It's sounds so generic. Please understand, I'm not trying to step on toes here.

Are you for real?
... space is the place ...

dan_s wrote:I'm so sick of flutes in peruvian pan flute bands.
I assume that you are implying that using a basic square waveform in Psytrance is written in stone? That's awfully limiting and generic.

There's a difference between music that uses lead instruments to distinguish a genre, such as Peruvian Pan Flute music, and music that encompasses a variety of instruments to create a piece.

Also, I'm not a rich man. :wink:

Ambisphere - Do you realise your bumping a 3 year old thread ?
That's a little late to be giving people "Vampire alerts".

Ambisphere wrote:
dan_s wrote:I'm so sick of flutes in peruvian pan flute bands.
I assume that you are implying that using a basic square waveform in Psytrance is written in stone? That's awfully limiting and generic.
So (apparently) they've done what you asked three years ago and you're still complaining?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”