Bitwig Studio [Certified Official Thread!] - with cats, and INFO!

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

Unnamed Mod wrote:mod edit - I'll take your word at that, all I've seen is cats..moved to Everything Else
Blue Phase Music

How many of you are seriously considering moving to Bitwig based on what's been revealed so far (and assuming it runs well)?
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Aiynzahev wrote:How many of you are seriously considering moving to Bitwig based on what's been revealed so far (and assuming it runs well)?
This isn't the right place for it, go here where people are more serious

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=379560

This isn't a host thread anymore :evil:

4lb Kitty wrote:
Unnamed Mod wrote:mod edit - I'll take your word at that, all I've seen is cats..moved to Everything Else

although,there was no harm against bitwig intended,it was one of the funniest threads on kvr for a long while and for a lot of people.

it was already blessed from the mods,the thread title was edited and the charm was, it was posted in the host forum and not in everything else.

don't know why it is moved yet,because at least i'm eagerly curious about bitwigs release and the real fun begins when this thread turns all of a sudden into a completely other direction,that's what i think is to expect.

now,in "everything else",all the funny tension is gone.

please mods,move it back to where it was,it's just some harmless fun and i believe bitwig sees it the same.:)

Nope, about 5 people were perplexed so there you are. Take your bitwig stuff here:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=379560

Aiynzahev wrote:How many of you are seriously considering moving to Bitwig based on what's been revealed so far (and assuming it runs well)?
Well, from what I've seen so far I plan to replace Ableton Live with it.
Live 9 has gone in a direction that leaves me utterly perplexed, the beta was rather painful for me, seeing what weird decisions were made and how they were justified. The conversations in the beta forum bordered on the absurd from Abletons side IMO.

I started out ages ago with "Bars and Pipes" on the Amiga - now that was one clever and intuitive sequencer ;-)

Then I used Cubase for a long time and always found it clunky with too many windows and hunting for stuff everywhere. I never found it "inspiring". More workhorse-style.

When I finally found out about Ableton Live, it was almost shocking how simple and intuitive things can be, how relaxing they can look and how clear they can be arranged. That started a whole new era for me.

But over time - since I'm not really a time-aligned loop-guy - I also encountered the shortcomings, like the not-so-hot arrangement view, the limitations of a fixed single window view, the clumsiness of modulations (even with M4L this is still painful) - you name it.

When Studio One came out, I was very fond of it fast. Same clear principles, but more focused on the timeline and overall more of a workhorse studio tool than a live looper in the core. So for timeline-work, that was the tool of choice from then on.

Usine opened my eyes to a totally different way of working with sound, not being as bound to time but being able to create basically everything you can think of with nodes (I'm more the generative guy). Modulation of VSTs done with elegance, transforming between modulation, midi, arrays with ease and building your own GUI for it on top (something that is missing in Bidule for instance).
But while the old Usine 5.x had a very clever kind of timeline ("Sequencer") which could not only host audio and midi clips, but also treated generative "patches" as a kind of hyper-clips, and you were able to move through that timeline programatically in complex ways, the current Usine Hollyhock version doesn't have that yet and seems very strongly targeted at non-timeline-based live music and touch-use for now.
I don't know their plans but hope something like the Sequencer will be back.
Apart from that it's really brilliant.

So, back to Bitwig: From what I saw at Messe, it basically connects all the principles I like in one app. This is what I personally feel music making should look like in 2013.
You can work with loops but in a much more flexible way as in Live and can combine it with timeline work more directly, even on a second screen. You have a gorgeous modulation system even before nodes. Routing is amazing from what I've been shown.
I didn't touch the nodes myself, but from what I've seen on screens, it should be a pleasure to work with and probably more intuitive than M4L, which feels very bolted on and limited to me.

Only the release will show if it can live up to those idea(l)s and how it really feels working with it, but the potential is there to change the market quite considerably IMO.
At least it could fold Live and S1 into one for me.

And since I like the journey more than arriving, I'm under no pressure at all ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote: I started out ages ago with "Bars and Pipes" on the Amiga - now that was one clever and intuitive sequencer ;-)
http://blog.hyperion-entertainment.biz/?p=912

HD audio on the Amiga X1000

If you followed the drama, Amiga rights changed hands a few times,
and recently a wealthy devotee dropped some large bill$ on designing
a new motherboard, dual core PA6T PPC, and newer ones are on the way.

Bars$Pipes, was given back to it's author by Microsoft, who bought it
to see how multi-tasking worked on an app, and has been updated
several times, free to download/use, (edit: removed some false info)

Dual core is not yet supported in AmigaOS 4.1/Morphos, but work has been under way
to make some good use, of the extra cpu core(s)

SAM 440 and 460 motherboards, 770 and 1.2 ghz ballpark,
also run OS4x, and are much more affordable. An OS designed for
25 mhz machines, at ghz!

Some nice audio software has been created, free, or reasonably priced,
Audio Evo;ution, Hd-Rec,

http://www.amigaos.net/software/123/bars-and-pipes

http://www.audio-evolution.com/index.ph ... 3&Itemid=7

http://www.amigaos.net/software/110/hd-rec

so now, those with a hardware synth room, or affinity to midi plumbing as a GUI, can take the padlock off the door,
open the drapes, and set up the worlds fastest bestest Amiga, and get
to pounding keys, and strumming guitars oldz-skoolz :-o

(But if you must ask about the price, then you can't afford it :hihi:

www.amigaworld.net

www.Amiga.org

www.morphzone.org

Cheers

Mainly for Linux support id switch , If Bitwig works with Jackd/FFADO driver on Linux much like Renoise and Ardour do and has a percussion sampler , sampler , and descent included effects limiter , compressor , eq , ir reverb , and bread n butter stuff like StudioOne and Live has I will do the DAW/OS switch . As a matter of fact , if any major "All in one DAW" such as Live , Reason , StudioOne , Samplitude , Cubase , Sonar , etc etc I would use it and do the switch , but with Reaper im kind of on the fence with them for one reason they would need to implement some sort of sampler like StudioOne's Impact or Live's drum racks. Reasamplomatic 5000 is not enough but still is high quality none the less , the other Reaplugs are top notch as well . Well enough about that it is Caturday after all . Image

Those were the days :-)

The routing with those pipes was amazing.

To make it compatible with Caturday:
Hang out in some Bars & smoke some Pipes, pussycat!

;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

:tu:

There's no news about bitwig, so here's a picture of a raccoon holding a cat.
SPEED: FAST MOVEMENT

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chapelle wrote:Image
Omg... :lol:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”