When is enough 'enough'?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I usually create sounds that I instantly love with a new peice of software.
Once I know how it works its downhill from there :oops:

The less you know the less you question the correctness of what youre doing
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:The less you know the less you question the correctness of what youre doing
Very true! :hihi:

It is nice to just play around and learn some things and not care whether they are the 'right' things to do. I've learned a few instruments like that and it's much later that I've realized that I do it different from most other people. Not a bad thing at all though.

When you try to hock your cat, that's enough.

robojam wrote:Agreed. No one should be dictating to others how they approach music.
that's why I said if someone handed me his rules I would tear them up or walk out the door. This whole authoritative "listen to me because I have done..." things are really getting tiresome. I would love more normal conversations where we share ideas with mutual respect but it seems to me after so many years at this that this is the way with so many musicians. (it absolutely the number 1 reason I do not spend much time hanging out with musicians or want to be in a band) If someone constantly inflates their resume when they post, dictate to people what they should do and are never wrong I typically am less apt to take their word on anything. I thought it was bad back in the day when it was limited to music stores, clubs and rehearsal places but now that we have the internet it is non-stop. Hype is hype, it's everywhere, not just KvR or not even just on the internet but at the end of the day I wonder who they are trying to really convince :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

robojam wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:The less you know the less you question the correctness of what youre doing
Very true! :hihi:

It is nice to just play around and learn some things and not care whether they are the 'right' things to do. I've learned a few instruments like that and it's much later that I've realized that I do it different from most other people. Not a bad thing at all though.
like me with my hammered dulcimer...do I play it right? Maybe once or twice I get lucky but I have never seen anyone else use a slide on a hammered dulcimer, bend the strings behind the bridges or use some of the odd tunings I have tried (though when you have 46 strings to tune changing tunings are not as simple). I will never be a dulcimer player, but my dulcimer can add some unique sounds to my music :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Yep. I play the violin badly but the only things I ever really try to play on it are pentatonic scale as that's within the limit of my intonation. Does it matter? Of course not. It's how I want to play it and that's the only thing that matters.

robojam wrote:Yep. I play the violin badly but the only things I ever really try to play on it are pentatonic scale as that's within the limit of my intonation. Does it matter? Of course not. It's how I want to play it and that's the only thing that matters.
I still expect a bunch of dulcimartists to come out of the walls saying.."you aint playing that right" :hihi:

Hink wrote:
robojam wrote:Yep. I play the violin badly but the only things I ever really try to play on it are pentatonic scale as that's within the limit of my intonation. Does it matter? Of course not. It's how I want to play it and that's the only thing that matters.
I still expect a bunch of dulcimartists to come out of the walls saying.."you aint playing that right" :hihi:
Maybe you and I can duet to a combined audience of dulcimer players and violinists and see what the result is... :hihi:

robojam wrote:
Hink wrote:
Maybe you and I can duet to a combined audience of dulcimer players and violinists and see what the result is... :hihi:
:hihi:

Hink wrote:
robojam wrote:Agreed. No one should be dictating to others how they approach music.
that's why I said if someone handed me his rules I would tear them up or walk out the door. This whole authoritative "listen to me because I have done..." things are really getting tiresome. I would love more normal conversations where we share ideas with mutual respect but it seems to me after so many years at this that this is the way with so many musicians. (it absolutely the number 1 reason I do not spend much time hanging out with musicians or want to be in a band) If someone constantly inflates their resume when they post, dictate to people what they should do and are never wrong I typically am less apt to take their word on anything. I thought it was bad back in the day when it was limited to music stores, clubs and rehearsal places but now that we have the internet it is non-stop. Hype is hype, it's everywhere, not just KvR or not even just on the internet but at the end of the day I wonder who they are trying to really convince :shrug:
But some of us that have been doing this for a long time are just trying to be helpful; what tapper mike presented could best be seen as a template for someone looking for some help with getting their music made.

Everybody has their own reasons for doing music, Hink; some want to find commercial success; some for enjoyment; some because they found that they were good at it; some for a form of spiritual enlightenment; some because all their friends are doing it; some because their family made them learn an instrument; as an artistic outlet- I could go on and on.

For some it's a combination of factors-and for some (including myself) the journey has changed very significantly; recently. I'm face to face with significant doubts because of the recent changes. So discussion like this thread are useful-it helps me, if in no other way, get out of my head, and listen to what others have to say-then at some point, I'll hopefully get truly productive again, but ina different directiin then the previous one.

VariKusBrainZ wrote:I usually create sounds that I instantly love with a new peice of software.
Once I know how it works its downhill from there :oops:

The less you know the less you question the correctness of what youre doing
I've tried to avoid this thread, but ^^^ THAT ^^^ is a large part of my experience and passion/motivators... the serendipitous discoveries and inspiring "moments", brought out of a "new toy".

There is a lot of good information/perspectives in this thread, but it would take me all day to pick and choose what I'd really like to respond to, AND I am working on incorporating my latest (and greatest) "tools" onto a fresh re-build, to try and focus and simplify my work-flow, with several well defined 'objectives', and (hopefully) productivity towards fulfilling them, to the degree that I am able. And I'm doing it despite my complete inability to define (or care, beyond fear of looking stupid) "genre's", according to any existing 'status-qua'.

One vital factor that inspires ME relative to the "time" we are in "tool" and (just) WAYS to be/express creativity/creatively wise is, that regardless of how long sit on my ass, make excuses of any kind for any reason, or basically go without doing anything I feel (real or imaginary) is getting me anywhere, fast or slow, but simply not 'progressing' ~ the MORE cool stuff comes out that makes that POSSIBLE ~ in a manner BEST suited to MY work-flow(s), and more efficiently/quicker/easier/better [et al].

[ends tangential moment]
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

goldenanalog wrote:
Hink wrote:
But some of us that have been doing this for a long time are just trying to be helpful; what tapper mike presented could best be seen as a template for someone looking for some help with getting their music made.
I guess you missed my saying "I would love more normal conversations where we share ideas with mutual respect" and I question why you seem to suggest that I must not be helpful :shrug:
Everybody has their own reasons for doing music, Hink; some want to find commercial success; some for enjoyment; some because they found that they were good at it; some for a form of spiritual enlightenment; some because all their friends are doing it; some because their family made them learn an instrument; as an artistic outlet- I could go on and on.

For some it's a combination of factors-and for some (including myself) the journey has changed very significantly; recently. I'm face to face with significant doubts because of the recent changes. So discussion like this thread are useful-it helps me, if in no other way, get out of my head, and listen to what others have to say-then at some point, I'll hopefully get truly productive again, but ina different directiin then the previous one.
just curious, have you read other posts from me on such subjects? Because all of what you have said are things I have been saying for years here (in fact some people might be chuckling right now thinking I'm talking to myself :hihi: ). The thing is, my perception of that post (and it seems I'm not alone) was the post was not opinion but dictating how it must be...words like "I studied under the masters of motown" (or close to it) imho are put there to validate that the poster must be right and why they are right...maybe you read it different but I see another example of elitism that I have grown tired over the amount of time I have been doing this (again, not just KvR or the internet).

I have told a story many times here about how I learned a lesson (at least 30 years ago) about how you can learn something from everyone at any level and I believe that 110%. But if someone wants a point to be well taken I feel that it is better to talk with someone, not talk at them which is exactly how I read that post...sorry if that offends you but I think we are all equals and should communicate with each other with equal respect. YMMV but I do not see my post being disrespectful, just my perception of what I read based on my experiences :shrug:

edit: btw doubts are a sign of growth imo, so do not fret over them...just do not let them consume you. I find when I have doubts it's because deep inside I know a change is coming and it's very natural to fear change. So far IME every change has been for the better, if you read back in my other post I think I mentioned breaking rules...in my youth I had so many silly rules and often the aforementioned doubts and changes have brought me to a point of breaking those rules....which has been the best examples of growth I have to reflect on...because boy was I wrong in the past with my silly rules (I'll be wrong again, perhaps before the day or even the hour has passed...that's one great learning tool for me) :)
Last edited by Hink on Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hink wrote:... and I question why you seem to suggest that I must not be helpful :shrug:
I honestly don't see where he suggested that. I see more where he was actually 'confirming' the "value" of those with "more (life) experience" ~ sharing it, as YOU do.

[2c]
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote:
Hink wrote:... and I question why you seem to suggest that I must not be helpful :shrug:
I honestly don't see where he suggested that. I see more where he was actually 'confirming' the "value" of those with "more (life) experience" ~ sharing it, as YOU do.

[2c]
I cant disagree...it was what he first said "But some of us that have been doing this for a long time are just trying to be helpful" and again, my perception of that that I was reacting to...and you're right I too try and share as much as possible to be helpful and I have no doubt said similar...so your point is duly noted and appreciated :)

edit: however, more life experience? In the name of clarity and so as not to make the same mistake twice...more than whom?

No, I didn't see what you wrote being disrespectful, Hink;.it just seemed to me like you missed the intent of tapper mike's post.

The internet is a dilemma: We will probably never meet eachother face to face; so how does one qualify himself or herself? Just from reading tapper mike's posts it is pretty clear to me that he probably.has been doing the music thing on a high level for a long time; so maybe he really does have something to say. Not that he's superior or inferior to any of us; just that he's had some training and experience working in an.enviroment that presumably not everyone here shares.

I think that his intent was to provide information to those who might need help on what worked for him in a coaching sort of way-not to tell anybody what to do, Hink.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”