Soundcloud for dummies?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Axis1~SL61 wrote:what about trying bandcamp.com? -- It's not much different from SC (without the comments and the wave display, which I don't like) and has the advantage of allowing unrestricted file replacement, which turned out to be very useful when I found out that after uploading 3 full albums a few of my wav files had rendering mistakes (yes, I was in a hurry and didn't have time to listen to them all before uploading).

One thing I didn't understand is that when you upload, it takes whatever you have and then coverts it, right? That is why with live you can use this and you don't need mp3, is that right?
YES, Bandcamp is much better than Soundcloud. It gives you also visual tools to customize your pages, not like on Soundcloud where you're limited with that boring white/orange look. What i don't understand is: Why isn't it possible to upload MP3's on BANDCAMP? :o

The idea of Soundcloud is quite good - but their users have (i.m.o) a lower quality level in terms of music. I've heard so many bad mixed/mastered tracks on it. But the idea of promoting other musicians (as musicians) isn't bad at all - i often notice a sort of selfish egoism, insane rivalry especially amongst artists which is sometimes blocking them from making new contacts! But contacts are one of the most important things in this world.

That's right, Bandcamp lets you replace tracks for nothing.

I have found that in some cases, and more often than not, I prefer BC's mp3s of my music (eg., LAME encoding) to the ones I have generated (eg., Frauenhofer). I think the stream is as bad or worse than SC though.

I would prefer more control over my 'stream' (new Soundcloud); when I follow someone I am subject to everything they upload in an order that's determined by SC and maybe just owes to 'newest', which is a bit much, the outcome being less enthusiasm for 'my' stream.

I forgot to mention REVERBNATiON.com - also quite good to reach fans, giving you lots of great customization tools + cool widgets. But free account is limited with letting you upload max.8 or 9 MB of file size each song/composition. :?

There's also iCompositions.com - no limits in terms of MP3 file sizes (you can also upload AAC files) - but here the lewel of 'professionalism' isn't so high, also most listeners are musicians or composers themselves. The MP3 player is very easy configured.

Delfinoverde wrote:
Axis1~SL61 wrote:what about trying bandcamp.com? -- It's not much different from SC (without the comments and the wave display, which I don't like) and has the advantage of allowing unrestricted file replacement, which turned out to be very useful when I found out that after uploading 3 full albums a few of my wav files had rendering mistakes (yes, I was in a hurry and didn't have time to listen to them all before uploading).
YES, Bandcamp is much better than Soundcloud. It gives you also visual tools to customize your pages, not like on Soundcloud where you're limited with that boring white/orange look. What i don't understand is: Why isn't it possible to upload MP3's on BANDCAMP? :o
You upload as wav, then it's converted to mp3 at the BandCamp server -- but as others already pointed out, streaming is at 128kbps, though downloads can be in a variety of HQ formats.
www.youtube.com/Synthillator
er... keep on rocking (despite all obstacles :shrug: ) :band2:

jancivil wrote:That's right, Bandcamp lets you replace tracks for nothing.
AND -- after you replace them, as long as you keep the same file name (I think) you don't lose the stats already accumulated by the initial upload. I also like their stats system in general, by the way.
www.youtube.com/Synthillator
er... keep on rocking (despite all obstacles :shrug: ) :band2:

I use Soundcloud, the only real annoyance for me is how difficult it is to scroll through a sound or fast forward. Stupid fiddly onscreen controls.

I forget about iCompositions. I've found that there is a lot of action immediately following an upload for my stuff, it appears like a news flash for the community. it would seem Garage Band-oriented but the community is not predicated on that so much.

ReverbNation is designed to support a live act more than anything else, with a subscription to use a press kit for all these opportunities presented; the site largely relies on this for its funding. When I was trying to use it it was a giant PITA to navigate and functions were broken as far as I could tell [no way to reorder a playlist], probably a Mac issue.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”