Is it mentally ill....

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

... to drop hundreds of $$$ of sample libraries, when I don't make any money from this? Just want to how much self-loathing I should feel. It just came crashing in on me how much money I have spent on a pure hobby, as I was contemplating another $250 purchase.

I think I kind of hate myself. It's clear, at the very least, I have no rational grip on fiscal responsibility.

nah, you'd probably have some buyer's remorse had you spent the same amount on hookers and beer :shrug:

debra1rlo wrote:nah, you'd probably have some buyer's remorse had you spent the same amount on hookers and beer :shrug:
That's definitely what I'd do Deb, though next time, remind me to research my hookers. That last one with the lazy eye and prosthetic leg was not what I expected..

rlahalla wrote:That last one with the lazy eye and prosthetic leg was not what I expected..
I know! How can you expect to snort blow off her ass when she's constantly falling over?

Arglebargle wrote:... to drop hundreds of $$$ of sample libraries, when I don't make any money from this?
I don't think many of us make money from music, yet we -at KVR- are ALL affected by GAS :hihi:

i know a guy who over the years has spent a fortune on his hobby, never hoping to make a penny, he goes fishing.
one of my uncles collects model japanese robots, some of his collection make most music purchases look like pocket money.
people who have trainsets can spend silly money too..

the real question is can you afford it and does it make you happy? thats all a hobby is for, a bit of happiness in a humdrum world.

Arglebargle wrote:... to drop hundreds of $$$ of sample libraries, when I don't make any money from this? Just want to how much self-loathing I should feel. It just came crashing in on me how much money I have spent on a pure hobby, as I was contemplating another $250 purchase.

I think I kind of hate myself. It's clear, at the very least, I have no rational grip on fiscal responsibility.
Well you've come this far.. to see that you are not managing your finances well. Perhaps the next step is to actually list out incoming and outgoing (even if roughly) money and list out your goals for the future (that cost money). Then weigh what you are doing with your money with your goals.

You may come to the conclusion that it is OK to spend the money on sample libraries because.. maybe music as a hobby IS your goal.

OR

You may come to the conclusion that doing something else with the money now or later on (saving) might be more beneficial.

Won't know until you take a step back and see

Just want to how much self-loathing I should feel.
Why should you self loathing for buying stuff? Don't understand that mentality at all. It's a problem if you really can't afford it, otherwise who cares what you buy?

Although I must admit that I don't find sample packs to be particularly good in terms of value. But then I enjoy making my own sounds.

If you buy a pair of trousers, do you feel self-loathing for not buying shorts instead (cost less, use less material, saves the planet and all that guff...) Or even do you regret not just buying one trouser instead of a whole pair? Maybe you should forget trouser(s) completely and wander about in your undies. Is that virtuous enough? Are you a Presbyterian? I sugest a little self flagellation just to make sure. It can't do too much harm. As long as you use a cheap whip - maybe electrical cord. Saves buying a whip at all. Just fray the plastic a little and you'll never know it's not a proper cat'o'nine tails.

robojam wrote:
rlahalla wrote:That last one with the lazy eye and prosthetic leg was not what I expected..
I know! How can you expect to snort blow off her ass when she's constantly falling over?
What's actually scary is, I was (literally) thinking the same thing.. :o

rlahalla wrote:
robojam wrote:
What's actually scary is, I was (literally) thinking the same thing.. :o
:hihi:

Arglebargle wrote:I think I kind of hate myself.
That's OK, but I'd look for better reasons than buying music gear. ;)
The hole is deeper than the hum of its farts

rlahalla wrote:
debra1rlo wrote:nah, you'd probably have some buyer's remorse had you spent the same amount on hookers and beer :shrug:
That's definitely what I'd do Deb, though next time, remind me to research my hookers. That last one with the lazy eye and prosthetic leg was not what I expected..
You should have consumed the beer before spending on that hooker!
Last edited by Nielzie on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

kritikon wrote:I sugest a little self flagellation just to make sure. It can't do too much harm. As long as you use a cheap whip - maybe electrical cord. Saves buying a whip at all. Just fray the plastic a little and you'll never know it's not a proper cat'o'nine tails.
plugged or unplugged? :shock:
The hole is deeper than the hum of its farts

I think I'm substituting more gear for talent. Rather than do better with what I already have, I feel compelled to buy "slightly better" stuff, as if that will suddenly make all the difference. :hihi:

Arglebargle wrote:when I don't make any money from this?
That's the definition of hobby as opposed to a profession,isn't it ?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”