Is it mentally ill....

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jace-BeOS wrote:Getting off Effexor was horrific hell. The addiction is physiologica, not emotional. The drug withdrawal effects emulate the things you supposedly take the drug for and that implies needing it. To get off of it, reduce your dosages very slowly over time. It took me about a year of reduction to get free of it and I still have long term damage from it. I had help. My new (true) friends helped me create smaller doses than what is abailae by prescription and managed my dose measurements (I'm mathematically incompetent). Again: it was horrific hell, but it IS POSSIBLE.

Keep reading the stuff you find online and get a doctor who is willing to work with weening you off, if your current doc won't. Some day, there will be an entry in history about how horrific psych drugging was in our lifetimes.
We're gonna get Hyde Park'ed.

I complained to my pdoc that the Effexor made me feel like I was coming on to LSD (which was a rather accurate feeling). I'd wander out at lunch and return with a $1200 sampler. A couple years later I was completely broke, hopeless and ended up in hospitalized 3 times before they got the meds stabilized.

rockstar_not wrote:Who else reading this thread thought that Effexor was a plugin at first read?
I did.. I figured it was some sort of expensive effects rack/combo suite.. :hihi:

VitaminD wrote:
rockstar_not wrote:Who else reading this thread thought that Effexor was a plugin at first read?
I did.. I figured it was some sort of expensive effects rack/combo suite.. :hihi:
I didn't mean my post as a joke. I honestly was clueless about he word and this being KVR where about half the discussions are about effect plugins that's what I thought the word referred to. Now after reading the effects of this drug , I feel for the sufferers.

rockstar_not wrote:
VitaminD wrote:
I didn't mean my post as a joke. I honestly was clueless about he word and this being KVR where about half the discussions are about effect plugins that's what I thought the word referred to. Now after reading the effects of this drug , I feel for the sufferers.
Well I still think it was funny, because I was reading it the same way.. then, after a couple pages more, came to realize they were talking about a medication.. :dog:

And it's not just this drug.. it's most (all?) of them.. SNRIs/SSRIs can do terrible things to some people.. I was prescribed a well marketed SSRI for chronic muscle/'nerve' pain, but refuse to take it since I suspect it will make more issues than resolutions.

After reading about them, I'm convinced there really WILL be a note in the history books about psychological medications in this era.. the drug makers have pretty much hit a wall with the easy medications to fix issues.. now they have to go to the deep end to find compounds that treat.. these complex medications have complex results in humans. I think the effects of taking the drugs are no better (and in some cases much worse -- suicide) than the symptoms for some people... :-o

Not that they don't help many people without incident.. it's just the 10-20% they claim that do, it's really trouble for them.

Maybe one day we'll go to a doctor, get scanned in some form (fluid test, skin test, etc), and then with this will receive a medication specifically catering our individual bodies sans (or at least greatly reduced) the potential side-effects.

Another one of these hun? :hihi:

I'm just about as bad an offender as there is. Feeling guilty? Hardly ever.

Yeah, fell for the plugin gambit too. And then got really angry that big Pharm was getting into the audio plugin business. WTF? Pharm rhymes with harm. A coincidence? I don't think so. Had a brief brush with SSRIs some years ago. Not the 'happy' pill I'd hoped for. In fact, I still felt pretty shitty. Except I didn't care as much. So at best, for me, it was an apathy enhancer. Same with Demerol. After some really unpleasant, painful surgery they gave me Demerol and lots of it. Similar felling - still hurt like mad, but just didn't care as much.

Anyhow, to foolishly try to return to the original topic which was about dope plugins or getting the straight dope about $$$ plugins or spending money on dopey plugins to improve your music and the pointlessness of it all.

Sometimes it does seem pointless, but then this little nugget over at newest of the best of the best of the best EQ thread:
Jafo wrote:Or just use some of Bootsy's new stuff for precision, color, and saturation. The best software is knowledge and practice, but damn, his stuff is like a talent injection. :hihi:
Bootsy's work has made my work better. And at a price almost anyone can afford. So I declare it's not mentally ill to spend hard won $$$ for great tools or hard won time on free ones. It's crazy not to strive for better tools, better music and world peace.

Well... 2 out of 3 ain't bad.
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

[wrong thread!]

This thread won't get Hyde Parked if I shut up, right? :hihi:
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

rockstar_not wrote:
VitaminD wrote:
I thought that it was a plugin as well.

Just an update, I'm done feeling sorry for myself and back to buying stuff I may or may not require. :hihi:

I've got many synths I've bought and still haven't got around to using in a track. Some of them I buy just for the entertainment value of the total hours spent twiddling. Something like Zebra for example I can spend hours playing with and it inspires me, even if the resultant sounds aren't used as anything other than a plaything. Some people consider it bad to be sat twiddling and not producing, but this kind of dicking around aimlessly is where most of my ideas come from.

It's no different to being a film buff and spending money attending and watching films, or anyone else with an expensive hobby.

I swear a lot of you would be just plain sick if you saw my VST folder and how big it is :hihi: but I feel good that as a side-effect a lot of small developers got some cash to put back into R+D and support.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Guilty. :hihi:

I'm not on any sort of anti-depressant, but I know myself well enough to know that without some structure things could get out of hand. Credit cards do make it too easy. So what I do is to cop out and hand the reigns over to my wife. She asked how much I thought I should get a month as pure "fun money." So I chose $150. Not too bad and impossible to get myself into any sort of trouble, but I also don't feel deprived either.

One thing that's a bit odd is that since I got a Kemper Profiling Amplifier (a guitar amp modeler type of thing) I find my G.A.S. has subsided a lot. Also, since I moved back to a mostly hardware studio, it's an almost self regulating thing due to space and increased cost. So, I'm considering an Elektron Analog Four, but that means getting rid of something to make room for it and help fund it as well (or wait).
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”