Is it mentally ill....

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Arglebargle wrote:I think I'm substituting more gear for talent. Rather than do better with what I already have, I feel compelled to buy "slightly better" stuff, as if that will suddenly make all the difference. :hihi:
So why not take a different approach. Do you play any instruments well? Why not try a new instrument? Get a new feel for the music you make and then see if you can find new approaches to making music with what you've already got.

It might be that you're just not using everything to its fullest potential yet.

I think the question is will you make music with those sample...
The real problem with GAS is when you don't do anything else but buying.
If this gear inspires you, then It's usefull.

well I decided to purchase more stuff. I'm not very proud of myself. :hihi:

Although I must confess, I look at the money guitarists with GAS spend, and I don't feel quite so bad. :)

I destroyed my credit on this stuff because the Effexor essentially freed me of impulse control. We're talking many thousands of dollars here. In the end, I have some nice tools, which I barely use and am struggling to do so (tying to learn and actually create with them)... and bankruptcy. Granted, my employers wrecked my ability to earn an income...

Moral of the story: a hobby should not ruin you financially. Decide to stop spending a while and learn to use what you have now (or just make stuff with it if there's no learning needed). I know the feeling of new purchases suggesting happiness and better production results, but you actually have to work at making music for that to happen :-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Arglebargle wrote:... to drop hundreds of $$$ of sample libraries...
Wouldn't you be better off becoming a monster programming mofo? Tweak and tweak again!

Jace-BeOS wrote:I destroyed my credit on this stuff because the Effexor essentially freed me of impulse control. We're talking many thousands of dollars here. In the end, I have some nice tools, which I barely use and am struggling to do so (tying to learn and actually create with them)... and bankruptcy. Granted, my employers wrecked my ability to earn an income...

Moral of the story: a hobby should not ruin you financially. Decide to stop spending a while and learn to use what you have now (or just make stuff with it if there's no learning needed). I know the feeling of new purchases suggesting happiness and better production results, but you actually have to work at making music for that to happen :-)
Umm - if an anti-depressant flips you over into manic patterns (compulsive spending) you may have been misdiagnosed.

From one who knows EXACTLY where you are coming from. And experienced it with the same RX.

rlahalla wrote:
debra1rlo wrote:nah, you'd probably have some buyer's remorse had you spent the same amount on hookers and beer :shrug:
That's definitely what I'd do Deb...
Either way, it's money blown away with a smile left in your face for only a short moment.
Last edited by dalor on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cowbells!

debra1rlo wrote:nah, you'd probably have some buyer's remorse had you spent the same amount on hookers and beer :shrug:
...and antivirus for computers is far cheaper and less painful.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

Looking at my tax rebate collecting dust on the shelf, Rc300, RC30, Wavedrum, Sm58 mic, sE220a condenser mic, bongos, shakers, cheapo acoustic guitar, peavy grind bass, vox tonelab ST, Emu xboard 49, recently Launchpad and a inspired but unhealthy interest in Ableton products and a rather expensive list of vsts, all in all about 4k and my music is still crap, i hope that made you feel better :D

dalor wrote:
rlahalla wrote:
Either way, it's money blown away with a smile left in your face for only a short moment.
But what a moment it was!! You only get so many lazy-eyed, one-legged hookers in a lifetime! :D

rlahalla wrote:
dalor wrote:
rlahalla wrote:
But what a moment it was!! You only get so many lazy-eyed, one-legged hookers in a lifetime! :D
Plus the lazy-eyed, one-legged hooker is always on special :hihi:
Cowbells!

Arglebargle wrote:... to drop hundreds of $$$ of sample libraries, when I don't make any money from this? Just want to how much self-loathing I should feel. It just came crashing in on me how much money I have spent on a pure hobby, as I was contemplating another $250 purchase.

I think I kind of hate myself. It's clear, at the very least, I have no rational grip on fiscal responsibility.
people dont make any money from video games or reading books or whatever most of the time either, or people that spends thousands of dollars on an SLR camera outfit or whatever, when they don't need it at all...

i probably wont ever make a dime making music either...
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

@midnight wrote:
Arglebargle wrote:... to drop hundreds of $$$ of sample libraries, when I don't make any money from this? Just want to how much self-loathing I should feel. It just came crashing in on me how much money I have spent on a pure hobby, as I was contemplating another $250 purchase.

I think I kind of hate myself. It's clear, at the very least, I have no rational grip on fiscal responsibility.
people dont make any money from video games or reading books or whatever most of the time either, or people that spends thousands of dollars on an SLR camera outfit or whatever, when they don't need it at all...

i probably wont ever make a dime making music either...
Meaning there's a lot of entertainment value in having, and using, music-making stuff? That's how I see it. I make small-time money writing instantly forgettable soundtrack-y stuff but mostly I just enjoy composing, playing, making.

dreamkeeper wrote:
Arglebargle wrote:I think I kind of hate myself.
That's OK, but I'd look for better reasons than buying music gear. ;)
+1

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”