Musicians you don't particularly like/follow, but respect nonetheless...

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote:
Other lauded artists Ive never really 'got' myself but respect the reputation they've got : Radiohead, Flaming Lips, Beck.
Nailed another one of my lists - didn't get them and now I do, at least some of their work:

Radiohead - I bought into the 'Pay what you want' "In Rainbows" thing, and now I love some of the sonic moods in that album. Flaming Lips "At War with the Mystics" is now a fave. Beck: I can only dig "Sea Change", but man do I dig it. I actually won a monthly KVR song contest by covering the opening track: The Golden Age. Absolutely love that album, cinematic in a way. Can do without two turntables and a microphone.

JoeCat wrote: One thing about Queen - of the 70s/80s bands, they have held up remarkably well. I have teenagers, and Queen is still popular, and at the very least well-respected.
True. AC/DC falls into this for me as well.

I guess Led Zeppelin does as well - I don't own a single instance of any of their music, but a Pandora drumming style podcast from a few years ago introduced me to the master of the groove, Bonham. And Kashmir is simply delightful as a sonic adventure and lesson in riffology. Who here wouldn't like to have credit for the multiple riffs/grooves in that one song? It's playing in your head right now, isn't it?

For those wanting to hear a Freddie Mercury-like singer, there's a Christian rock band called Downhere who has a singer that could go on tour as the singer, not the showman, with Queen. Not just studio trickery. Dude soars on vocals.

http://www.watchgmctv.com/martel-queen-audition

-Scott

JoeCat wrote:Than there's this Brian May. What do you do after Queen? Get a PhD in Astrophysics and become the Chancellor of a university. He's like a poster-child for "The Incredibles" - some people ARE special :!:
And doing so after decades of scientific changes and new discoveries. I imagine it was a bit like starting his dissertation all over. Amazing.
"Let us wander through a great modern city with our ears more alert than our eyes..." Luigi Russolo, 1913

Clapton: The man can sure as hell play - but it does nothing for me.

ABBA: Can't stand it - but once when I was drunk, I found my foot - tapping to the beat.

Metallica: Downhill after "Master Of Puppets".

Enya: Awesome voice - but songs start to sound the same after a short while.

Pearl Jam: Just never got it.

Ichad.c wrote:Enya: Awesome voice - but songs start to sound the same after a short while.
Now there's a good example of music that does abosolutely nothing for me. It's like elevator music that would make you take the stairs.

aphex twin

robojam wrote:
Ichad.c wrote:Enya: Awesome voice - but songs start to sound the same after a short while.
Now there's a good example of music that does abosolutely nothing for me. It's like elevator music that would make you take the stairs.
Sounds like a great fad exercise: Build a Better Body by (avoiding) Enya. :hihi:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

David Byrne
Jordan Rudess - I might enjoy his work more if I had never seen him interviewed.
Moby
Bjork - except for her great role in "Dancer in the Dark", but that's probably Lars von Trier

BERFAB wrote:
JoeCat wrote:
He was the penultimate showman.
I think you meant 'ultimate' showman, no? :hihi:
Yup. Too much vocabularizing (sic) on my part. :D

And, he would probably be considered the last - I don't think anyone else from that generation is left to fill that bill.

I'm adding this guy to my list, 'cause it takes big ones to pull this off. Bet Seth McFarlane wishes he thought of it first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCaCxg6hv3A

rockstar_not wrote: Beck: I can only dig "Sea Change", but man do I dig it. I actually won a monthly KVR song contest by covering the opening track: The Golden Age.
Nice cover.

Soundtrack for setting off through the West Virginia mountains on a hot summer morning, the fog just burning off, your woman and your dog in the car with you.

Or at least it was for me.

Interesting... for the most part, all of the artists mentioned here are artists in the true sense of the word, and will of course polarize because they're secure in doing their thing.

For my own part, I never got into Pink Floyd. Check that, I loathed Pink Floyd until a friend forced me to watch the documentary on the making of Dark Side, which finally made me respect them at least. Always loved Gilmour's playing, though.

Then there's Yes and Rush. To my ears, these bands really value virtuosity and flash over content. Impressive though, and so precise.

REM I never liked (but I did have a very deep respect for their integrity), up until Around the Sun, which I found really moving and at times heartbreaking, but it also seems to be the most unloved album by REM. Go figure.

REM and especially Michael Stipe: can't stand the guy, but they made some great songs.
Rick Wakeman: is a fantastic keyboard player and his stuff for Bowie, Yes and The Strawbs in the 70's is wonderful, but his own albums are horrible.
Rush: virtuoso playing and it doesn't mean anything to me.
"It dreamed itself along"

Ichad.c wrote:
Enya: Awesome voice - but songs start to sound the same after a short while.
Actually, her voice isn't all that great. It's the perhaps hundreds of tracks that they used to get the Enya 'effect' stacked on top of each other. I read Enya being interviewed about this - I'm sure someone with better google search term skills can unearth the link. Found it: http://enyabookofdays.com/articles/wm-tv04.htm
snipped from article wrote:Enya: Not... I'm not really aware of Brian Eno's music, but where you get the ambient sound is from the amount of reverb we use - we like to use an awful lot [quick smile] - and it gives this overall warmness to the music, and especially to my vocals, the multi-vocals.

Christopher Ward: You described the multi-layering of the vocals. I mean, for example, in Orinoco Flow, how many tracks of

Enya:are there on there?

Enya: I think after a hundred vocals, I stopped counting. I mean, I forget how many. There's so many. We just keep singing over and over, and tracking, until we come to this particular sound. And then we stop.

Her sister sounds just as good, but with a better band (Maire Brennan in Clannad). For that matter that one song that Clannad did with Bono was pretty killer.

Excellent replies everyone, and many interesting points of view / choices of artists.

Cheers fellas :D

ABBA: Can't stand it - but once when I was drunk, I found my foot - tapping to the beat.
Abba's a completely different category - secret pleasures. I have never met one single person over the age of 30 or so who doesn't sing along with some Abba song or other. Even if they don't like them. Mostly I don't like them at all, but put Mamma Mia on (or several other of their songs if I'm honest) and I can't stop my mouth making words in time to the music. I clamp my teeth together and yet I still end up singing along. I don't consciously know any of the words, yet how come I actually know every chorus when it's on the radio. And if I'm on my own (with the curtains shut) I sing in full voice, very loudly. And I hate to admit it...

...I've found myself vogueing to Abba once or twice when I've drunk way too much. :x :-o :o :( :oops:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”