Musicians you don't particularly like/follow, but respect nonetheless...

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah, whatever you think about Abba it's hard to be convincing if you ever say that they didn't write good songs... :hihi:

for me, its not so much the artists themselves. its their fans "how can you say you like music if you dont listen to [insert over hyped businessman as opposed to musician imo]"
or the "im far more serious about music because i like x but dont like y"

tribalism, gotta love that shit!

Mozart, Zappa, BB King.

Generally, I'm a disrespectful person.

kritikon wrote:
ABBA: Can't stand it - but once when I was drunk, I found my foot - tapping to the beat.
Abba's a completely different category - secret pleasures. I have never met one single person over the age of 30 or so who doesn't sing along with some Abba song or other. Even if they don't like them.
While I didn't dislike ABBA, I was never a big fan. But, I played in cover bands from the 80s through the early 2000s and almost every one of those bands had at least one ABBA cover in our repertoire for one simple reason - instant floor-filler.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Peter Gabriel
Bob Dylan
John Lennon
The Eagles
Led Zeppelin
Santana
U2

All great musicians/artist, but I can't listen to their music without wanting to jam a couple of screwdrivers in my ears.

Mark Butcher,

http://markbutchermusic.com/

Quality soul/blues, just not my cup o tea. Seems like a really good bloke as well in interviews etc and on 'the twitter'. Also the small matter of 4288 test runs for Engerland in ver cricket....

Respec an ting.

Phish: They are great musicians, but create the kind of noise that makes me wish for an early death.

The Grateful Dead: See Phish.

Rush: God-awful nonsensical Math Rock.

The Pixies: The originators of Soft then Loud. I get it.

vurt wrote:for me, its not so much the artists themselves. its their fans "how can you say you like music if you dont listen to [insert over hyped businessman as opposed to musician imo]"
or the "im far more serious about music because i like x but dont like y"
+10000000000000000

thats prolly why Zappa irritates me... i've encountered SO many of his fans IRL who keep trying to "win me over".

probably should stop mentioning Varese, lol

robojam wrote:
mellotronaut wrote:Eric Clapton: was great with Mayall and Cream and from then on doodledeedoo auto-pilot.
Yeah, Clapton...

Seems like a real piece of shit too - supports fox hunting and repatriating immigrants to the UK.
I had the opportunity to hang out with Clapton and Dire Straits after their Odeon gig back in the late 80's. I was 18 at the time. Clapton was a great guy! Funny, engaging (they all were) and I spent a good 40 minutes with them drinking beer, and talking shop. I don't condone hunting, and after the US elections I've sworn off of politics. But, once again, Clapton was awesome.

debra1rlo wrote:thats prolly why Zappa irritates me... i've encountered SO many of his fans IRL who keep trying to "win me over".
Similar with the Grateful Dead. I've lost count of how many people I've met who rave about how great their gigs are.

Also lost count of how many non-fans have been dragged to their gigs and have said they were bored to tears.

I like the 60s Dead and have a few albums, but anything I heard more recent than the first couple of years of the 70s was not the same band. Met a few people who saw them in early incarnations and said they didn't understand how people saw them in the 80s or 90s and actually liked them.

prince... after sign o' the times or thereabouts, i just lost track.

loved the 1999 album though.. especially 'lady cab driver'.

phlendo wrote:The Grateful Dead: See Phish.
:lol:

For the music he's created, Richard Strange is amongst my gods but there is something I loathe intensly about the man himself (reinforced after reading his autobiography). Does that count ?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”