It feels good to be a "real musician"

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I still think piano is more difficult and in most cases is more versatile in what can be done when mastered compared to the guitar.
The sleeper must awaken.

diggler wrote:I still think piano is more difficult and in most cases is more versatile in what can be done when mastered compared to the guitar.
see, now you just sound like a troll.

I thought we had left this discussion behind us at this point, but you have to bring it back up.

I can post my opinion here freely as much as a want to. I glad that free speech still exists.

When my posts are called meaning less and I am a troll I can respond. I feel I have an equal opportunity to respond as much any other user here.
The sleeper must awaken.

diggler wrote:I can post my opinion here freely as much as a want to. I glad that free speech still exists.

When my posts are called meaning less and I am a troll I can respond. I feel I have an equal opportunity to respond as much any other user here.
All of that is true with the exception of free speech - this is a privately owned site not under the jurisdiction of any country that enshrines freedom of speech in a written constitution of any kind.

To ntom's point, I thought we had left this behind too - what benefit is there is reiterating a subjective viewpoint about difficulty of learning an instrument? Have you mastered both instruments in all genres and techniques? If not, then I don't know that you (and probably no one for that matter) can make any kind of objective comparison of level of difficulty.

I think this is a case of who ever smelled it delt it.
The sleeper must awaken.

diggler wrote:I think this is a case of who ever smelled it delt it.
Well my farts are more difficult to produce than your farts.

diggler wrote:I still think piano is more difficult and in most cases is more versatile in what can be done when mastered compared to the guitar.
even if this was trurue (which i dont beleive has or even can be proven) perhaps its the sound of the guitar hes after for his productions? maybe ntom (like many people out there) doesnt actually like the sound of a piano? maybe he wants to machine gun his audience one foot on a monitor?

there are probably many reasons why people pick the instruments they do, eg i chose guitar at 12ish years of age, becasue it seemed like the natural progression from banjo which id played for around 8 years before then. the banjo never got me chicks, after a couple of months with the guitar i was a regular poon hound!! even just wandring around with the guitar in its case back and to to band practice id get attention :D

i didnt start playing keys/piano till many years later, once id got the hang of picking up girls without needing a musical instrument to break the ice. you cant really carry a piano around :(

also, my theremin has a greater frequency range than your piano! :band:

vurt wrote:
even if this was true (which I dont beleive has or even can be proven) perhaps its the sound of the guitar hes after for his productions? maybe ntom (like many people out there) doesnt actually like the sound of a piano?
I feel like my response has been missed every time I posted it in this topic. Let me clear it up a little;
There is already a great deal of piano in my music - it may not be classically stylaized piano that is for sure, but I think it adds a nice sound and I think the piano really is a beautiful instrument in fact a number of my songs start ON a piano. A 1930 Baldwin Grand to be a matter of fact.
I also think that guitar can offer a very beautiful sound as well, and when piano and guitar are used in tandem they only benefit each other - thus why I am learning guitar because MIDI easily takes care of my piano needs (I don't have the proper set up to record the Baldwin)

EDIT:
and all joking aside, I have seriously wanted a Theramin, I think they are really fun instruments!

Per Diggler;
you ARE welcome to say whatever you want, but bringing up a point we had already left behind doesn't do us any good in this topic unless you have more to contribute to that conversation, but you didn't bring anything new to the table, but simply the same point so what did you accomplish?

debra1rlo wrote:[devil's advocate]define "real"[/d.a.]
Well I own two ztars and play at least one a day for the majority of my musical performance. Even though I've been playing guitars since "C.H.I.P.S" was on the air.

I can carve up a lot of great sounds with plugins but I rarely play guitar plugins. Somehow it feels like cheating. Parker is looking lonely and detached. I think she needs some love.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote:Parker is looking lonely and detached.

Yes, Milady.

robojam wrote:
tapper mike wrote:Parker is looking lonely and detached.

Yes, Milady.

tapper mike wrote:
debra1rlo wrote:[devil's advocate]define "real"[/d.a.]
Well I own two ztars and play at least one a day for the majority of my musical performance. Even though I've been playing guitars since "C.H.I.P.S" was on the air.

I can carve up a lot of great sounds with plugins but I rarely play guitar plugins. Somehow it feels like cheating. Parker is looking lonely and detached. I think she needs some love.
sorry, the answer is 42

Although bonus points for mentioning C.H.I.P.s and refraining from using the term "bromance".

@vurt: :hihi:

ntom wrote:I'm not calling myself an expert - now pro. Infact if you listened to me, I sound like complete rubbish, thank goodness all my playing is in the confines of my own room.
But, playing a real instrument feels great! I just picked up the guitar - using a 1970 Gibson Les Paul - I can feel the legacy behind each fret and it feels great!

I've played instruments in the past and all have since left me due to various reasons (Bassoon, Bass Guitar - briefly, Drums, and Cello)
But it has been years since I played a live instrument, and I just wanted to say how great it feels. That is all.

(just bought a new strap for it today to adding the first piece of my legacy to it)
I know exactly how you feel, because I feel the same way. I play piano, and I play it badly lol. Although I noticed that the more I learn and play, the better I get. So as long as I never stop playing, I should be good in the future. :hihi:
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."

~Albert Camus~

After doing two or three tracks that were entirely synth-oriented, I muted the synth bass channel on the latest one and recorded a bass guitar track instead. Well, actually two tracks (there's an overdubbed chordal bass part on the choruses as well). I had briefly forgotten how much that adds in terms of groove and real "organic" factor. It just nudges an arrangement into an area that it wouldn't go with any type of synth bass. It's a good foil to all that screwing around with synth programming and other "nerdy" activities, just plugging in and laying it down.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”