Too many incomplete songs and projects. What to do?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Due to the weather I've had a few days off work and managed to incomplete yet another tune...

Trouble is, I've ran out of ideas, still got tomorrow off. Back to work Monday.

Another reason for incomplete tunes, not enough time :(

Use a chord generator that uses input chords to filter output chords, with an algorithm that makes sense!

Also use a single 5 or 6 tone chord sequence as a focal point for your bag of midi tricks!

breakmixer wrote:Due to the weather I've had a few days off work and managed to incomplete yet another tune...

Trouble is, I've ran out of ideas, still got tomorrow off. Back to work Monday.

Another reason for incomplete tunes, not enough time :(
But inspiration can't just be forced for most people, even people with talent. It's the rarest of rares to just say "ok, I've got two hours, I must be inspired"

Another possibility is that on some tracks you write yourself into a corner. If there is no way forwards you may have to backtrack to an earlier decision you took, and explore a different route from that point on.

Eg, that 32-bar modular synth solo with polyrhythmic cowbell parts may have to go :hihi:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

:lol:

Due to the weather I've had a few days off work and managed to incomplete yet another tune...

Trouble is, I've ran out of ideas
1) I wasn't aware that 'incomplete' was a verb. Learn something new everyday.

2) This seesm a rather defeatist attitude. How do you know you've run out of ideas . The mind is an idea machine -- granted they may not all be good ideas, but what do you value more, a) a satisfying, but incomplete work, or b) a completed, but less than satisfying work.

Did you enjoy the time you were working on this piece?

Is there some consequence to money or fame or reputation if you don't finish?

Why is it so important that you to finish?

The vast majority of home-brewed music doesn't get much distribution, so it has to be primarily for one's own satisfaction. Unless you are a jingle or dance music producer in a crisis (did I miss that data bit?) you have to decide what this all means to you.

Here's a hint -- learn something about song structure of the genre you're intertest in. Instead of starting out with 2-4 bars of something, sketch out a full structure to start -- at least 16 or less acceptable 8 bars. Figure out the chord progression for those 8 or 16 bars. Learn a little about chord substitution and reharmonization and sketch out another 8 - 16 bars.
(not so applicable for all genre, but more than you might think for most)
Continue.

SODDI wrote:
AstralExistence wrote:...im not really sure what genre of music...
"Genre" is for the marketing guys to assign later. Just do what you want now.

Go where the piece leads you, even if it's into odd or unfamiliar territory...

exactly!
write whatevers in your head. and develop your own genre for other people to ask "how do i get this astral blues cupcake fluff monster bass/lead/riddim!/violin sound...?"

Genre is probably one of my least favorite words...

wrench45us wrote:

Trouble is, I've ran out of ideas
1) I wasn't aware that 'incomplete' was a verb. Learn something new everyday.

2) This seesm a rather defeatist attitude. How do you know you've run out of ideas . The mind is an idea machine -- granted they may not all be good ideas, but what do you value more, a) a satisfying, but incomplete work, or b) a completed, but less than satisfying work.

Did you enjoy the time you were working on this piece?

Is there some consequence to money or fame or reputation if you don't finish?

Why is it so important that you to finish?

The vast majority of home-brewed music doesn't get much distribution, so it has to be primarily for one's own satisfaction. Unless you are a jingle or dance music producer in a crisis (did I miss that data bit?) you have to decide what this all means to you.

Here's a hint -- learn something about song structure of the genre you're intertest in. Instead of starting out with 2-4 bars of something, sketch out a full structure to start -- at least 16 or less acceptable 8 bars. Figure out the chord progression for those 8 or 16 bars. Learn a little about chord substitution and reharmonization and sketch out another 8 - 16 bars.
(not so applicable for all genre, but more than you might think for most)
Continue.
Sound advice for a complete strange on the internet :hihi:

And what does "seesm" mean?

This issue of unfinished pieces is only a problem if you think it is. Personally I like the sketchbook analogy. Not every sketch must become a painting, or finished piece. Some sketches are 'proof of concept', some are tutorials, some are stepping-stones to a finished piece, etc. I like having a bunch of unfinished stuff I can go to when I need a fallback. And occasionally I'll stick an old unfinished piece into my to-do queue, just to force me to finish it. But I never, ever beat myself up over my unfinished work. I have no problem finishing things when I need to, and for me, guilt and creativity aren't a good combination.

Yeah, but shouldn't SOME get finished? :help: :hihi:

hibidy wrote:Yeah, but shouldn't SOME get finished? :help: :hihi:
only i guess if your income depends on it, or maybe you want to play some gigs. then yeah, definitely.
if its for personal entertainment or to try out new techniques/equipment then no, unless of course you set that goal for yourself.
if youre enjoying th experience its all good :D

robojam wrote:Genre is probably one of my least favorite words...
I love it...it sounds so continental with zh sound...zhawnrah...just rolls off the tongue...say it wit me....zhawnnnn......rah :hihi:

vurt, I wasn't kidding...I'm gonna have a white elephant sale :tu:
Last edited by Hink on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

hibidy wrote:Yeah, but shouldn't SOME get finished? :help: :hihi:
For me, if I'm working on something for someone else, a client, friend, etc, then I always finish. But if I'm doing it for myself or my portfolio, then I may decide to set it aside at some point, for whatever reason. Many of them I come back to later, and finish or use in some way. Others I don't. I've never seen that as a bad thing. And again with the sketchbook analogy, most artists have piles of sketchbooks that they use to catalog ideas, and mine later when needed. This is basically the way I look at my unfinished music.

Hink wrote: vurt, I wasn't kidding...I'm gonna have a white elephant sale :tu:
neither was i!!
im sure a few others would have a go at some of it too :)
not just the cut up crew either, perhaps people such as debs might want to jam some bass or kitty? maybe robo would turn it bluegrass with some banjo? or hibidy might just enjoying playing guitar to it? (these are just a few suggestions) as well as people who are more electronic :D

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”