Too many incomplete songs and projects. What to do?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hibidy wrote:
breakmixer wrote:Due to the weather I've had a few days off work and managed to incomplete yet another tune...

Trouble is, I've ran out of ideas, still got tomorrow off. Back to work Monday.

Another reason for incomplete tunes, not enough time :(
But inspiration can't just be forced for most people, even people with talent. It's the rarest of rares to just say "ok, I've got two hours, I must be inspired"
which is one more reason I'm fine with not playing live anymore, when I was young playing live was a party but now it would be a real performance too :hihi:...no more are the days of doing another few more lines so you don't care as much (most of my band memories have "we got so f**ked up" somewhere in them and I never drank and played). But now sometimes I dont feel well, sometimes I'm stressed, sometimes I had a bad day or maybe just have a headache...the point is I if I perform I really care now about the show and not the party so I would feel terrible if I was having an off day and people paid to see that...they might love it, I might play my very best but if I'm not happy about it I could feel as if I cheated someone...you see those who would come see me are likely in the same boat as me...those party days are over :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

vurt wrote:
SODDI wrote:
AstralExistence wrote:...im not really sure what genre of music...
"Genre" is for the marketing guys to assign later. Just do what you want now.

Go where the piece leads you, even if it's into odd or unfamiliar territory...

exactly!
write whatevers in your head. and develop your own genre for other people to ask "how do i get this astral blues cupcake fluff monster bass/lead/riddim!/violin sound...?"

:lol: ill give it a shot.

hibidy wrote:Yeah, but shouldn't SOME get finished? :help: :hihi:
some like to sketch, and some like to draw :D

robojam wrote:Genre is probably one of my least favorite words...
+11
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

I'm always amazed at the sketches of great artists - with only a few lines they're able to convey more than I could by piling on more pencil, charcoal, paint...So I never got far past the "sketch" mode, since I was never quite happy with the results. You can't practice the ability to capture the essence of something by piling more crap on it, which is how I (used) to produce.

I feel I should be able to produce something of value that is minimal, and work my sound from there. But I'm never quite happy with it. Then I end up comparing it to productions that are bigger in scope, which is a mistake.

I'm trying to "listen" more. Seems like the best artists use the same technique, of looking at something and determining what's most important to capturing the essence of it. Whatever the style, quality music always "something" that makes it resonate (no pun).

Right now I feel like a painter who has almost infinite colors and canvas, but still isn't happy with my line drawings...

Musically, I think this guy (and this track) is a great example) - embodies the ability to do much with little (it's almost nothing but a 4onthefloor kick). When I can do 4 bars of this - there's little here, but what there is is perfect -I'll be able to move on :)
(producing the "drop" at the 1:00 mark would satisfy me for the year).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZuTxLXkI4A

JoeCat wrote:I'm always amazed at the sketches of great artists - with only a few lines they're able to convey more than I could by piling on more pencil, charcoal, paint...So I never got far past the "sketch" mode, since I was never quite happy with the results. You can't practice the ability to capture the essence of something by piling more crap on it, which is how I (used) to produce.

I feel I should be able to produce something of value that is minimal, and work my sound from there. But I'm never quite happy with it. Then I end up comparing it to productions that are bigger in scope, which is a mistake.

I'm trying to "listen" more. Seems like the best artists use the same technique, of looking at something and determining what's most important to capturing the essence of it. Whatever the style, quality music always "something" that makes it resonate (no pun).

Right now I feel like a painter who has almost infinite colors and canvas, but still isn't happy with my line drawings...
The other most important end of a pencil is the eraser.

I was just working on a piece centered around one central recorded riff with dense FX and dramatic changes. It sucked. When I finally muted the central riff, the piece just fell together. I shouldn't have been so tied to that riff.

These electronic bits and pieces are not so important that I shouldn't be willing to get rid of them when I need to.

SODDI wrote:The other most important end of a pencil is the eraser.

I was just working on a piece centered around one central recorded riff with dense FX and dramatic changes. It sucked. When I finally muted the central riff, the piece just fell together. I shouldn't have been so tied to that riff.

These electronic bits and pieces are not so important that I shouldn't be willing to get rid of them when I need to.
Tru - and letting go is hard, especially when you sort-of get used to a track.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”