nevermind

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hibidy wrote:
VitaminD wrote:How is he wrong?
I see my humor is lost on youth yet again..........

Ok we'll turn this all serious. My timing is nearly useless when trying to record lately, which I (in my wisdom) thought I could turn into a joke concerning Jeff Berlin. Guess not :hihi:
I would stop working on your musical timing, and start working on your comedic timing. Tough in text-based post, but still...
This space has been unintentionally left blank.

hibidy wrote:
Hink wrote:what's the difference in "robotedness" between a click track and a drum machine? (speaking hardware, not software) I'll be the first to say my timing is far from perfect, I also do not quantize my drum tracks to beats anymore (not the case on any of my posted music). But I also shy away from live drummers for a good reason, even when it's very good friends.

I play fast, which again I will be the first to admit was about insecurity in my youth but I have met few drummers who can hold the tempo when playing with me and at least one was only able to because of a strong bass player (another was just a human metronome). It's almost like a race with some drummers, I speed up (not tempo, just my playing) and they I guess feed off that and speed up too which throws me way off. Of course a lot of this was during a time that coke played a major role as well.

The thing is now I have played with drum machines, click tracks and sequencers far more than with decent drummers. I often record an idea with a metronome, open jamstix and design my parts around my recorded riff then I will redo the guitar part..often many times. The odd thing is often I find myself forgetting to shut off the click track...sometimes for days.

I dont see how a click track must make robotic music, it can but not all of us are so perfect that we are in absolute perfect time with a click track. I will go through a piece and quantize the drums to be close to the audio (the same with other midi tracks), for instance if the guitar or bass is a little ahead of the beat I'll quantize the drums similar but not precise. It depends which drum I'm adjusting as to whether it's the bass or guitar I quantize to. For instance a kick or snare will be close with the bass but a hi hat beat often will be more synced to the guitar (trust me, I zoom way in for this and I'm talking very tiny variations)

I guess I'll just never be that good so as to be able to play perfectly synced to a click track...I'm still only human whether what's keeping the beat is or not...but I'm quite use to and very comfortable playing to a click track for which I am thankful and think it's a big help :shrug:
Since we've gone all serious, for me I used to have good timing. Funny, when I'm in the mood to play bass, I can keep time pretty well. But now, lately, even just trying to program a god damned DRUM LOOP my timing is WAY off. Oh, it's bad. If I wasn't old and angry, I'd feel the need to work on my timing. Ugggg,
actually it's a good subject :shrug:

If you want to hear a great example of a talented guitar player way out of time and being tamed by the drummer listen to Ozzy's Tribute...the show starts with "I dont Know" and Randy starts off like a funny car off the starting line, then he's brought into check ;)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

comedic timing: you either have it or you don't.

comedic writing: can be learned, but i think there must also be an innate gift to have the ability to learn.

and yes, i am being serious.

Lost on my youth! :hihi: Yes, discerning humor through text is a skill learned through age.

Because if you are older you know more facts and have more value than those young whippersnappers.

JJBiener wrote:
hibidy wrote:

Ok we'll turn this all serious. My timing is nearly useless when trying to record lately, which I (in my wisdom) thought I could turn into a joke concerning Jeff Berlin. Guess not :hihi:
I would stop working on your musical timing, and start working on your comedic timing. Tough in text-based post, but still...
Yeah, but you've always been so nice to me, I really should take it to heart.

Anybody (I have to be careful how I word this) could notice the hihi straight off. 99.999999999........ok, actually 100% of the time that means "NOT TO BE TAKEN SO SERIOUSLY"

Seriously :roll:

VitaminD wrote:Lost on my youth! :hihi: Yes, discerning humor through text is a skill learned through age.

Because if you are older you know more facts and have more value than those young whippersnappers.
FINALLY, some respect!

anyone that uses the phrase "young whippersnappers", isn't

hibidy wrote:
JJBiener wrote:
hibidy wrote:

Yeah, but you've always been so nice to me, I really should take it to heart.

Anybody (I have to be careful how I word this) could notice the hihi straight off. 99.999999999........ok, actually 100% of the time that means "NOT TO BE TAKEN SO SERIOUSLY"

Seriously :roll:
perhaps that seems obvious to you... except people misuse emoticons around here all the time. :shrug:
and i had no idea that placing a "hihi" in the front of a post was supposed to indicate that all seriousness is negated. tbh, i use it as a "hey, i'm chuckling (but not lol-ing) at your post" symbol. and of course, I use it that way for my own posts to show my own different levels of amusement... and not really in any other way, sooooo...

oh and I didn't recognize the joke in anything you'd written, before or after watching the video :shrug:

again, if you have to explain a joke... :roll:

debra1rlo wrote:if you have to explain your comedy... not funny

people get it immediately... funny
Clearly, this requires some serious analysis.

Ahem... In my experience, people will laugh at humour when they already "get" the premise. So jokes about the [insert ethnic group] are "funny" when you already "know" that they are [insert negative characteristics 1, 2 and 3]. If you are a stranger to these prejudices, when the joke gets to the punchline, you will realize the implied premise but since you don't already accept it, it won't be "funny" yet, if ever.

If humour takes a "new" form, eg early Python, then reactions to it vary wildly. Lots will simply not get it and won't laugh - they are more likely bored and/or bewildered. Some may actually be annoyed that sketches suddenly stop without reaching an expected conclusion and the screen is filled with a picture of a giant foot or something.

So, if you are too far ahead of your audience you won't be "funny" to that audience but you might be killing them somewhere else.

(In case you didn't know, Hibidy's been slayin' em on Gearslutz under another nom.)

egbert wrote:(In case you didn't know, Hibidy's been slayin' em on Gearslutz under another nom.)
and some people think Bob Saget's standup is funny. a matter of taste i suppose. :shrug:

Try reading hibidy's posts while imagining Steven Wright's voice in your head, without laughing.
It's unpossible.

Better yet, Bobcat Goldthwait.

:hihi:

I was originally going to say, Brad Garrett, but I didn't think anyone would know who that was. :lol:

justin3am wrote:Try reading hibidy's posts while imagining Steven Wright's voice in your head, without laughing.
It's unpossible.

Better yet, Bobcat Goldthwait.

see, i was imagining Emo Phillips. perhaps that was the problem. :dog:

and Brad Garrett was Mrs Garrett's son on Facts of Life, the infamous first starring role for George Clooney? amiright? WhaddoIwin? :hyper:

srsly, i do know that no loved him and everyone loved Raymond

egbert wrote:Some may actually be annoyed that sketches suddenly stop without reaching an expected conclusion and the screen is filled with a picture of a giant foot or something.

Now THIS ^ made me chuckle.

debra1rlo wrote:see, i was imagining Emo Phillips

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”