What is your computer music history?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

apple ][ with the interface for the fender rhodes/arp chroma

apple //e with a roland mpu-401 and roger powell's texture

atari st and smptetrack, master tracks pro, and pro24-cubase and genedit

pc cubase/nuendo reaper

thats highly edited, i messed around with lots of other stuff but thats the main ones.

MaxSynths wrote:Image
YES! Oh so very yes! Disks I haven't seen in something like 15 years. Great to see these again. Used to look forward to the tunes on the subscriber's disk every month. They were my only source of samples after all!

cron wrote:
MaxSynths wrote:Image
YES! Oh so very yes! Disks I haven't seen in something like 15 years. Great to see these again.
Eh eh I still have a huge collection of these disks! :D

Used to look forward to the tunes on the subscriber's disk every month. They were my only source of samples after all!
Right! :D I remember I used to spend a lot of time also on the BBSs trying to get as much mod files as possible (eheh good old zModem protocol :hihi:).

Saw Future Music magazine at the Barnes & Noble on the Country Club Plaza here in Kansas City while in recovery from Lymphoma in 2004. you're all going to think this is a stupid story, but I felt sorry I hadn't done enough to share my music up to that time and had prayed about it, apologizing to God. Funny that it was at that time that I discovered computer home recording and bought my first computer and sequencer(Sonar 3 PE) for that purpose. Since then have completed 1 album, am close to being finished with another and have done some commercial work for a videographer. I know that dosen't seem like much but if you knew me at all you'd be amazed I finished even that.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

Bought a modular synth just as the world moved on to digital polys. The gear was hideously expensive, and really I was more interested in the technology and 'making sounds' than 'music'. Discovered computers could be used to create sounds too, albeit slowly and awkwardly, bought a couple of books by Chamberlain and Roads etc. Piddled around trying to get CMusic to work on some obscure minicomputer or other. Offline didnt really gel.
Circumstances changed, variously tried poking at Octamed and the like in the interim, but most stuff was still too much oriented towards 'music', still not realtime enough. And still too bloody expensive.
A decade or so passed. Regrettably, was silly enough to sell the modular about two years before getting back in to it all way back when KVR was a baby, and discovering that computers were now fast enough to do audio in realtime. And that stuff that wasnt music actually qualified somewhere in the art/music spectrum after all. 'Poking at' became 'immersed in'.
Still got my Chamberlain and Roads, plus a few more. And some nice software and some of that formerly-hideously expensive gear, including a couple of replacements for that missed modular. Even leveraged it into getting to take on a lot of the sound-related stuff at work (ProTools teaching and suchlike), and a masters degree on the back of it.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Here is my Computer Music History:

Commodore 64 with Supertrack Prg from CLAB on this monster floppy disc !
Atari 1040 ST with Midex 8 from Steinberg and Cubase

Then around 6-7 PCs from 286 to a i7 980X 6x4GHz
CPU Intel 1366 core i7-980X now.

Now Cubase 7

My first Synth I ve buyed new was a Roland Juno 60. I still own it ! :D

Then : Roland D50 , Korg DW6000 ,Yamaha TG77, Ensoniq SQR, Oberheim Matrix6R, Roland JD800 , Novation Bass Station, Roland Jupiter 4, Roland XP30

Amiga 500 + one of those custom built sample boxes + mod tracker. That was fun but didn't really inspire anything useful. Too busy playing games :hihi:

Cut forward 12 years (around 2004) and after playing in some live techno / trance bands using hardware (which I fell in to completely by accident), was shown Cubase for recording and production. Took a while to "get it" but haven't stopped since.

Now on Mac + Logic and sometimes Live. Love it!

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

PC + Scream Tracker
PC + Impulse Tracker
PC + Jeskola Buzz + Vst(i)
PC + Sonic Foundry Acid Pro + Vst(i)
PC + Reaper + FLStudio + Vst(i)

A Kawai SX210 non-midi synth and a tascam 4 tr cassette porta-studio. Graduated to an early sequencing program called midi-paint on a Macintosh Plus computer with a DX7 and Oberheim DX drum machine. After a few more years got a program called Deck which was the pre-cursor to Pro Tools.

Went through Vision then Studio Vision (which was a great program) then Digital Performer and now settled on Logic for music and PT 10 for post-audio.

I have a CD I burned with all my initial sound experiences, and that included some programs. My start was SF Acid, Cool Edit 9 (demo), Hammerhead, Tuareg and a japanese sound editor called "Sound Engine".

After that, I bought a better computer and started to use trackers. Psycle was my choice, and I'm using it still today.

I was born in East LA and am currently born to be wild, i.e. total badass software only.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

whyterabbyt wrote:And that stuff that wasnt music actually qualified somewhere in the art/music spectrum after all.
Maybe it makes me a lousy musician/artist but I seem to need that qualification, anytime I get out there sonically I start wondering whether it's 'permitted' or just me arsing about.

Am I a retard because I only played games, wrote some articles, stories & layouts and programmed some simple BASIC programs with my AMIGA 500 back in 1990? I didn't even know that I could make music with it... :lol:

Commodore 64 and some music software.

mcnoone wrote:Commodore 64 and some music software.
:shock:

My friend had a C 64 in 1988, but I never called it "music" what came out of it...it rather sounded like a bad peep show... :lol: When I got my AMIGA 500 with MUCH better graphics and sounds, I felt like a king... :wink:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”