New type of Soundcloud whoring?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Maybe it's not new, maybe I am just now being faced with this. I was curious if anyone else is experiencing it.

See, I noticed it was odd the other day when I uploaded a new track - I didn't share it. Not here, not on facebook, not in Soundcloud groups.
I tracked the plays, and within an hour, 0 plays......2 favorites? The next day, 0 plays, 4 favorites! And the favorites are from people who aren't even following me on Soundcloud.

It's weird, I don't think I understand what they are trying to accomplish. Do they just favorite the newest tracks that are uploaded in hopes that we'll come and listen to theirs?
I mean, do they not realize I watch the play counter?

My newest song that I posted and shared today seems to be getting is worse. within an hour of uploading and sharing it had 4 favorites from people who are not following me. Though the play count kind of lines up with the favorites, I doubt the people who Favorited are the ones who listened, considering I shared the song here, Facebook, sound cloud groups, ect.

EDIT
So I glanced at the 3 most recent artists that favorited a track of mine and noticed they have 10,000+ tracks favorited. I don't know about you, but I actually go back to my favorites and listen through them, but if I just went around favoriting every track that passed in front of me, then I'd get a playlist full of shit I don't like. I don't get it. To me it feels like lowering the respect they have of their own music as well as the music of others. But, maybe that is just me.

ntom wrote:Maybe it's not new, maybe I am just now being faced with this. I was curious if anyone else is experiencing it.

See, I noticed it was odd the other day when I uploaded a new track - I didn't share it. Not here, not on facebook, not in Soundcloud groups.
I tracked the plays, and within an hour, 0 plays......2 favorites? The next day, 0 plays, 4 favorites! And the favorites are from people who aren't even following me on Soundcloud.

It's weird, I don't think I understand what they are trying to accomplish. Do they just favorite the newest tracks that are uploaded in hopes that we'll come and listen to theirs?
I mean, do they not realize I watch the play counter?

My newest song that I posted and shared today seems to be getting is worse. within an hour of uploading and sharing it had 4 favorites from people who are not following me. Though the play count kind of lines up with the favorites, I doubt the people who Favorited are the ones who listened, considering I shared the song here, Facebook, sound cloud groups, ect.

EDIT
So I glanced at the 3 most recent artists that favorited a track of mine and noticed they have 10,000+ tracks favorited. I don't know about you, but I actually go back to my favorites and listen through them, but if I just went around favoriting every track that passed in front of me, then I'd get a playlist full of shit I don't like. I don't get it. To me it feels like lowering the respect they have of their own music as well as the music of others. But, maybe that is just me.
The same thing has happened to me a couple of times, even though I've shared the songs. They had been listened to or favorited by at least 2 people even before I'd finished listening to them once and logging out of SoundCloud.

You can try to ask SoundCloud what's going on with that, because I have no idea how anyone could automatically grab new sounds or even listen to them all. Then again, while SoundCloud's support has been relatively quick to answer questions I've asked, I've never seen them resolve anything. YMMV, of course--and I hope it does!

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

I only follow people who I recognize from KVR. I have had random people favourite my tracks too.

I think it's definitely a form of "SC whoring" so best thing is to just check the user out who Favorited it.
:borg:

I don't exactly have a huge number of people following me, and no, I don't know all 100+ people who are following me, I have a good idea as to which are the ones who actively listen and favorite my music, and none of them are the ones who have favorited my tracks.

I think this is part of the reason why Youtube doesn't tell the user who favorited their video, they just tell you how many times it's been favorited and that is it.

That explain why I suddendly have my tunes favorited more often than usual. *sigh* And I thought more people *really* liked my music!

SampleScience wrote:That explain why I suddendly have my tunes favorited more often than usual. *sigh* And I thought more people *really* liked my music!
Sorry to burst your bubble man.
It could be legitimate likes. If I am every that curious, I just go to the persons page who favorited my track and see how many and how often they favorite tracks. If they have favorited some 100-300 in that day, obviously they are just spammers.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”