Possible value of Music Cassettes as antiques?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So there is going to be a world music day for Music Cassettes, the good ol' MC:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/a ... usic-tapes

I got 3-4 boxes of MC's from the 80's and 90's.

What is the best strategy, trying to flog them while the MC is in vogue, or to keep them and hope the value will increase?

Hi Humanoid,

I put all mine in a binbag years ago - even the charity shops didn't want them :wink:

Yes, there will no doubt be some sort of minor Compact Cassette revival, but remember that every pass through the machine tended to wear off some of the oxide layer, so unless they have been stored very carefully and rarely played they will probably sound pretty grotty by now :(

Releasing new to create a new fad is one thing; digging old old cassettes and expecting them to be worth something is (IMO anyway) quite another :hihi:

Martin

MWSOS wrote:remember that every pass through the machine tended to wear off some of the oxide layer
But people pay several hundred dollars to emulate that effect now, for example:
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/mpx_mas ... es/details

Why pass by the river looking for water, go straight for the tape :D

Today it is exactly 50 years ago the Compact Cassette was introduced. August 30 1963 the Philips Compact Cassette was shown for the first time on the Internationale Funkausstellung (IFA) in Berlin, Germany.
At the top of the popularity Philips sold 3 billion cassettes a year........

Happy aniversary!

If you've got some sealed Sony Super Metal Master lying around, I'll take them. :hihi:
On a more serious note, I still use cassette tapes on a regular basis. I just love them.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

MWSOS wrote:Hi Humanoid
:D

I don't know what the answer is, but here in the US I think you could probably get a good idea of their future value by checking out the "antique" 8-track tape market....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-130-8-TR ... 5d41b8beab

chrisby wrote:I don't know what the answer is, but here in the US I think you could probably get a good idea of their future value by checking out the "antique" 8-track tape market....

if I had saved my 8-tracks, my baseball cards, my lunchboxes and some of my toys I would be making music on my catamaran somewhere in the south pacific about now :? :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Too many moons ago to remember. I went to producers tape service and bought 1000 30 minute blank cassettes. I would use them for everything. I would record lessons for students, I would record songs for my band when I was writing. I'd record the band mixed down to 4track. I'd give them out as demo's to bars so I could get gigs. I'd even sell them to fans at shows. Cassette tapes were my universal file format. Everyone had a cassette deck. Car, Boat, Home, Work, Walkman.

Hink wrote:
chrisby wrote:I don't know what the answer is, but here in the US I think you could probably get a good idea of their future value by checking out the "antique" 8-track tape market....

if I had saved my 8-tracks, my baseball cards, my lunchboxes and some of my toys I would be making music on my catamaran somewhere in the south pacific about now :? :hihi:
The one funny thing about 8-tracks was how much abuse they could take (until they didn't of course).... I remember finding Robin Trower's "Bridge of Sighs" in a garbage can, literally taping the broken tape together with a band-aid, and then basically playing the crap out of it until everything switched to cassette. I'd never heard of Robin Trower but at 12-13 years old I was pretty impressed.

I have a stack of cassettes I still play - things like the first A Certain Ratio album and tons of stuff I recorded off John Peel and at festivals that just can't be found elsewhere. I wish I could still find a copy of the first Soft Cell tape, I had that too but it was "borrowed" by an ex friend who never gave it back.

The only thing I hated about 8tracks was the cha chunk when they'd switch tracks. I had this Lynyrd Skynyrd 8 track and it would kick in during the solo of Freebird.

tapper mike wrote:The only thing I hated about 8tracks was the cha chunk when they'd switch tracks. I had this Lynyrd Skynyrd 8 track and it would kick in during the solo of Freebird.
I'd forgot about that but the other thing was that double lp's (errr, tapes) would sort of cause the motors to strain and warble. I still remember Physical Graffiti as a total warble-fest... on that record it sort of worked though.

chrisby wrote:
tapper mike wrote:The only thing I hated about 8tracks was the cha chunk when they'd switch tracks. I had this Lynyrd Skynyrd 8 track and it would kick in during the solo of Freebird.
I'd forgot about that but the other thing was that double lp's (errr, tapes) would sort of cause the motors to strain and warble. I still remember Physical Graffiti as a total warble-fest... on that record it sort of worked though.
but on the plus side, as a guitar player instead of learning one song I liked on a tape I learned everything on on the program that the song I wanted to learn was on. I did have an 8-track recorder with fast forward and auto stop but it still was a pita...after that cassettes became better because a 90 minute udlx2 (maxell) would typically hold one album per side with plenty of room...that was also in the day when they played album sides on the radio and even told when to hit pause and start recording. :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

chk071 wrote:
MWSOS wrote:Hi Humanoid
:D
:lol:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”