buying a didjeridoo in australia

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bosone wrote:... and i will have with me a portable zoom h4n record. i hope to catch some weird animal noise around! :D
Have I mentioned the possums?

:D

I live just out of melbourne -about an hour travel and am heading up tomorrow to take a few pics with my new Dslr.. Brunswick st Fitzroy is definitely worth a look, a meal and a coffee.
Re the didge .. I see the odd one here and there.. A few family members even have a couple.. You may have to go off the beaten path a little (not too far tho ok ;-) as probably most you'll find may be a bit touristy. The mouth piece is often coated in wax, don't know if there'll be any drama's with taking that thru customs? Might be worth checking all that stuff..

I got me a didgeridoo back in January, slowly learning to play it... really fun instrument once you learn the technique of circular breathing, which I partially do by now. It is in the deep low key of B, crafted and handpainted by Kristian Benton - an Australian didgeridoo player who also crafts didgeridoo's. It is made from an eucalyptus tree which has been naturally hollowed out by termites, giving it an organic, warm and harmonious sound. If you want an Australian instrument then get a didge, you won't regret.

I paid some $620 + customs toll (some $50) so it ended in just below $700, including shipping to Denmark. Kristian Benton got a website here yidakivibes.com and I can highly recommend his didges. It's quality work. He is located in Coffs Harbour (north of Sydney) but I don't know if he got a physical store - you can always write him and ask.

I also had the didjshop in mind and that would have been my second choice if I hadn't ordered one from Kristian but I don't think they got a physical shop. Didgeridoo Breath got a physical store as already mentioned and they have didges from $75 and up.

Me playing a basic drone, subtle movement:
Basic Drone

Same but with a huge B2 reverb on top:
Basic Drone (with B2 reverb)

I am in the process of making a didgeridoo inspired sound library, can't say to whom or when though. Below are some images of the didgeridoo.

Just my 2 cents...

Luftrum
Sound Designer
Lunaris 2 - the premier pads instrument for NI Kontakt Player - pads and pads only...

bosone wrote:do you any other typical ethnical musical things that i can find?
You'll find kangaroo nutsacks at loads of tourist shops - I think I got mine in the Brisbane airport. They can make a useful instrument if you stretch them tight and twang them...

Actually they sell 'em as little hairy purses. Great gifts to give people and watch their face as you tell them what it is. :hihi:

And possums make great drum samples. Difficult getting the mic near enough, but if you can, record it then pitch down by an octave or maybe two. Record shooting the bastards with a .22 airgun. You get the airgun (can make a useful snare or rimshot), the splat as the pellet hits (tom) and then the thud as it hits the ground when it falls out of the tree (kick).

Oh yeah...don't throw it away aftwerwards. The fur makes great gloves and shoe inners. Fishermen swear by possum insoles. I got a pair and they keep your feet toasty for hours.

kritikon wrote:And possums make great drum samples. Difficult getting the mic near enough, but if you can, record it then pitch down by an octave or maybe two. Record shooting the bastards with a .22 airgun. You get the airgun (can make a useful snare or rimshot), the splat as the pellet hits (tom) and then the thud as it hits the ground when it falls out of the tree (kick).

Oh yeah...don't throw it away aftwerwards. The fur makes great gloves and shoe inners. Fishermen swear by possum insoles. I got a pair and they keep your feet toasty for hours.
Hands off from these poor animals! :x :tantrum: :box:

An aboriginal bullroarer. I have one, makes a wonderful scary noise.

My dog, an Aussie cattle dog, is terrified of my didgeridoo. One would have thought it was in her genetic make-up.

The Tassie Devil makes the possum sound cute... well almost.

:hihi:

"Steve Irwin" :lol: :D :lol:

I say f**k the possums. They left me traumatised & a broken man.

Sample Katra wrote:I jammed with the Guns n Roses dudes at the resort up there about 20 yrs ago. Ah, that takes me back. Seriously, Port Douglas, honeymoon, google now.
Whoa that must have been quite an epic experience!? :o
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Nielzie wrote:
Sample Katra wrote:I jammed with the Guns n Roses dudes at the resort up there about 20 yrs ago. Ah, that takes me back. Seriously, Port Douglas, honeymoon, google now.
Whoa that must have been quite an epic experience!? :o
Yeah it was but they were notorious for swanning into every coastal town & hi-jacking the local bands gig & taking over. Apparantly they did it to a few bands in a few towns (really not sure how many) all the way up the Queensland coast after their concert in Brisbane. Geez, when I try to think of the year, it must have been around 1987(ish).

It was a lot of fun. Huge, huge night. The drummer shagged one of the guitarists girlfriends (unconfirmed, but, well, ya know), he he. I get more mileage out the story now as party yak. :D

Teezdalien wrote:Image

:hihi:
You forgot to mention attacking whales in B(l)ondi Beach...

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/whale ... 2pkar.html

BTW, doesn't it sound great - "Whales tail leaves man with a giant tale to tell"; seems to be a writer's masterpiece of alliterations... :wink:
Last edited by Tricky-Loops on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Transport in Australia:

Tricky-Loops wrote:You forgot to mention attacking whales in B(l)ondi Beach...

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/whale ... 2pkar.html
80 tonne whales. LOL.

I once saw a nest of meat eating ants devour a possum carcass in a couple of hours leaving not much more than bones. I'm not joking. :-o

Apologies to the OP, don't mean to put you off your honeymoon.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”