Why do producers still use hardware ?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Aroused by JarJar wrote:
lotus2035 wrote: I am a kitchen cum dining area producer.
Thanks for the heads up on that one.
Just make sure you have an umbrella up while you're eating at his house

"lotus2035's bukkake kitchen"

Dibs on song title.

SODDI wrote:"lotus2035's bukkake kitchen"

Dibs on song title.
You're too late - Bravo TV has already started producing a show

SODDI wrote:
justin3am wrote:
SODDI wrote:The Buchla modules are pretty much all digital today except for the CV stuff, aren't they? It's simply modular and digital.
The 291e/292 (filters and Lowpass gates) are analog as are some other signal processors, the 261e's wave shaping section is analog. Most of the control system is digital with DA converters to spit out voltages, otherwise the preset system and control distribution wouldn't be possible. Maybe the 266e (Source of Uncertainty) and 281e (Quad Function Generator aka envelopes/LFOs) may be analog as well.

The lines are really blurred in 200e Buchla systems because you are dealing with audio signal and control voltage, but you also get complex internal routing and presets.
And when you're in that modular zone, you aren't slaved to using only the onboard Buchla oscillators and filters, you can use the CVs to control any number of true analog modules, like a Moog oscillator and filter bank, then bring them back into the Buchla for further processing.

It's that open modularity for both audio and CV signals that is so desirable, as much as the individual sound generators' and processors' characteristic sounds.

It's been 30 years since I've been able to put my hands on a modular system.

I'm still working on my modular. It is just plain heaven what one can do with these things...
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

mlegs wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
mlegs wrote:if software sounds better than hardware, as you say, isn't that another reason to stop using hardware ?
Read it again.
Hardware better than software and software is better than hardware.
Man stop making fun of me =)) You say contradictory phrases......
My question is still not answered. What does hardware have more than software, except the posibility to control the software from hardware ...
Why do the producers use, let's say, a mixer (a physical one) ? When all the softwares have that built in .... ? Just for manual controllability ?
You _need_ an answer?

The answer is D.U.C.A.P.

Which stands for Direct Usage Control And Performance.

That's why hardware is better than software.

:oops:

OzWozEre wrote:
mlegs wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
mlegs wrote:if software sounds better than hardware, as you say, isn't that another reason to stop using hardware ?
Read it again.
Hardware better than software and software is better than hardware.
Man stop making fun of me =)) You say contradictory phrases......
My question is still not answered. What does hardware have more than software, except the posibility to control the software from hardware ...
Why do the producers use, let's say, a mixer (a physical one) ? When all the softwares have that built in .... ? Just for manual controllability ?
You _need_ an answer?

The answer is D.U.C.A.P.

Now you're putting a fair restriction on what you mean by "hardware". A whole lot of hardware has you scrolling through a microscopic window using a multifunction dial.

One knob one function, especially analog with big quality pots, well yes of course that's a wonderful thing.

Aroused by JarJar wrote: A whole lot of hardware has you scrolling through a microscopic window using a multifunction dial.
That's why I still hate cellphones -- they remind me of my TX7, TX81z and TG55 multifunction buttons and displays... and I'm not kidding, this is true, I hate tiny displays since I got fed up with those synths minimalistic frontpanels and LCDs
www.youtube.com/Synthillator
er... keep on rocking (despite all obstacles :shrug: ) :band2:

whyterabbyt wrote:some stuff
Someone having an opinion really gets to you doesn't it?

You're like the champion of "that viewpoint can't possibly be valid because of my much more semantically checked-out and smart sounding response. BOOM"
Snare drums samples: the new and improved "dither algo"

OzWozEre wrote:
...... Direct Usage Control And Performance.

I like this.

fateamenabletochange wrote:
OzWozEre wrote:
...... Direct Usage Control And Performance.

I like this.
Yeah, that's why Reaktor with an external knob box (and the "smooth", interpolated, setting) is such a treat. So much more DUCP than the majority of hardware synth (except modulars of course).

Axis1~SL61 wrote:
Aroused by JarJar wrote: A whole lot of hardware has you scrolling through a microscopic window using a multifunction dial.
That's why I still hate cellphones -- they remind me of my TX7, TX81z and TG55 multifunction buttons and displays... and I'm not kidding, this is true, I hate tiny displays since I got fed up with those synths minimalistic frontpanels and LCDs
F*ckin' A on that.

I still have an EPS. :-)

rifftrax wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:some stuff
Someone having an opinion really gets to you doesn't it?
nope. try harder.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I'm pleased so many have piped up about useability. I think this is where newbs don't get it. That blanket h/w vs s/w argument has no meaning to anyone who has serious history (i.e. long years and old-fartedness) with h/w. None of us actually enjoyed silly LCD 2-line screens and one stupid circular knob. None of us enjoyed some of those stupid 90s S&S synths with all buttons. We enjoy the old analogues not only because of the sound but because they let you make good sounds easily and quickly with one knob/slider per parameter. We embraced DAWs because DAWs are so much more visual and easy to work than stupid h/w sequencers with multipage edit systems. It's not about whether it's h/w or s/w. It's about what it sounds like and how much it draws you in to actually play with it and use it, and make life easier. My DAW with a huge screen makes sequencing easier. My analogues make life easier because they have lots of knobs and no mouse. My s/w effects make life easier because I can see what I'm programming in big visual pictures without using reading glasses (or a microscope). I really don't care whether they're 0s and 1s or hamsters running a generator in a giant ferris wheel.

You _need_ an answer?

The answer is D.U.C.A.P.

:lol: That's precious. My first vorays into sampling, on hardware, was all about a display SMALLER THAN MY THUMB and describing loop points in hexadecimal on that thing. THEN, there was software for the 128k beige Mac but it was still describing all points in hex but I tell you what, it was an improvement. ET CETERA.

And it_sounded_like_shit.

kritikon wrote:I'm pleased so many have piped up about useability. I think this is where newbs don't get it. That blanket h/w vs s/w argument has no meaning to anyone who has serious history (i.e. long years and old-fartedness) with h/w. None of us actually enjoyed silly LCD 2-line screens and one stupid circular knob. None of us enjoyed some of those stupid 90s S&S synths with all buttons. We enjoy the old analogues not only because of the sound but because they let you make good sounds easily and quickly with one knob/slider per parameter. We embraced DAWs because DAWs are so much more visual and easy to work than stupid h/w sequencers with multipage edit systems. It's not about whether it's h/w or s/w. It's about what it sounds like and how much it draws you in to actually play with it and use it, and make life easier. My DAW with a huge screen makes sequencing easier. My analogues make life easier because they have lots of knobs and no mouse. My s/w effects make life easier because I can see what I'm programming in big visual pictures without using reading glasses (or a microscope). I really don't care whether they're 0s and 1s or hamsters running a generator in a giant ferris wheel.
Exactly!.... couldn't have put it better^^.
www.youtube.com/Synthillator
er... keep on rocking (despite all obstacles :shrug: ) :band2:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”