Why do producers still use hardware ?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use hardware because I know that some people a) don't know how to and/or b) can't afford to.

In either case it allows me to look down on them.

tehlord wrote:I use hardware because I know that some people a) don't know how to and/or b) can't afford to.

In either case it allows me to look down on them.
Finally, someone speaks the truth.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

I use hardware because software doesn't work too well during acoustic gigs.

robojam wrote:
vurt wrote:yo momma.
I'm not even sure what question you are answering, but that's always a good answer.
:hihi:
He misspelled it. But I fixed it.

SODDI wrote:
robojam wrote:
vurt wrote:yo momma.
I'm not even sure what question you are answering, but that's always a good answer.
:hihi:
He misspelled it. But I fixed it.
bloody murricans comin round here breaking the english :x

I liked the Reznor interview and he talked about a lot of interesting things. But he was talking as a musician, not a "producer". Since he mainly produces his own music, someday I'd like to hear him talk about his production techniques - he does weird, counterintuitive stuff that works very well - stuff like mixing the percussion dead center mono. Very cool.

The answer is to all of these questions, of course, is WHATEVER WORKS.

The process by which an analog synthesizer creates a voice is completely different to the way a computer-based plug-in creates a voice. In an analog device the electricity is always running and this has a vast effect on everything from the way oscillators, envelopes and filters behave; to the articulation of voicing and modulation. They are wonderful things and I wish I had several (Reznor had 2 new Buchlas in that interview. That's $100,000 or so.)

It is a different sound.

But I don't, so I will work with the tools available to me. Which are pretty good tools. And the tools I use will inform my aesthetic. That's to be expected.

But if anyone wants to donate a Buchla 230e to me, PM me and I'll reply with a shipping address. It's the same price as a Bentley.

Can anyone tell me which Nine Inch Nails song use the Buchla synthesizer?

Aroused by JarJar wrote:Can anyone tell me which Nine Inch Nails song use the Buchla synthesizer?
There was a short bleep on track 2 of the remastered b-sides + rarities released back in 2003. That bleep cost $100K. But damn it sure was a nice sounding bleep ;)
... space is the place ...

Aroused by JarJar wrote:Can anyone tell me which Nine Inch Nails song use the Buchla synthesizer?
quite a few.

I use hardware because it's more fun and spending money on hardware is fun too.

vurt wrote:
quite a few.
Sure, but which ones?

People use hardware when they:

A. Have access to it.

B. Understand it suffciently, to use it.

C. Can get sounds, which sound good to them.

People use software for the exact same reasons.

Aroused by JarJar wrote:
vurt wrote:
quite a few.
Sure, but which ones?
check out the last couple of records.
fraid i dont do track titles.

Aroused by JarJar wrote:
vurt wrote:
quite a few.
Sure, but which ones?
A lot of stuff on the Ghosts I-IV album used Alessandro's 200e (before Mr Reznor got his). I couldn't name specific tracks off hand, but I did notice the trademark "buchla bongo" and very 259e-ish drones (wavetable scanning and FM) on quite a few tracks.

dea-man wrote:People use hardware when they:

A. Have access to it.

B. Understand it suffciently, to use it.

C. Can get sounds, which sound good to them.

People use software for the exact same reasons.
stop being so bloody logical. thats not what kvr is for :x

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”